The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Has my GCSE grade just lost me a chance to get in to Bath? (Psychology)

Entry Requirements for Psychology (sandwich year):
-GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics at grade A or above is essential if not offered at AS or A2 level.
-Applications from students with grade B in Mathematics at GCSE level will still be considered but we anticipate that most applicants who are successful in receiving an offer will be offering Mathematics at grade A or above. If you do not have the required grade in Mathematics, you may wish to consider retaking your GCSE(s) in order to make your application as competitive as possible.

I'm in year 12 at the moment and just browsing some unis. Bath would be my DREAM because I don't want a degree from this, I also want a career. And that sandwich year would help me with that.

But I didn't get an A in Maths, I got a B (3 marks of an A). I couldn't possibly retake because I am terrible at maths in general so I would probably drop 2 grades xD. I know it says my application would be considered, but is this just a sweet way of saying that they wouldn't pay too much attention to my application?

I meet all other requirements. I get high grades. It seems to just be that. Any advice?

Thanks
I applied to Bath too,hvnt recd any reply till now??
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Entry Requirements for Psychology (sandwich year):
-GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics at grade A or above is essential if not offered at AS or A2 level.
-Applications from students with grade B in Mathematics at GCSE level will still be considered but we anticipate that most applicants who are successful in receiving an offer will be offering Mathematics at grade A or above. If you do not have the required grade in Mathematics, you may wish to consider retaking your GCSE(s) in order to make your application as competitive as possible.

I'm in year 12 at the moment and just browsing some unis. Bath would be my DREAM because I don't want a degree from this, I also want a career. And that sandwich year would help me with that.

But I didn't get an A in Maths, I got a B (3 marks of an A). I couldn't possibly retake because I am terrible at maths in general so I would probably drop 2 grades xD. I know it says my application would be considered, but is this just a sweet way of saying that they wouldn't pay too much attention to my application?

I meet all other requirements. I get high grades. It seems to just be that. Any advice?

Thanks

Heya,

By the sounds of it is pretty important to have an A at GCSE Maths, even if it isn't strictly necessary. I suspect that only candidates that are outstanding in other respects fall into to the small number of applicants that get accepted with a B at GCSE.

I've also heard that the placement course is very competitive and doesn't have a huge amount of places on it, so I would strongly suggest resitting Maths and working for it.

If you like, you could email [email protected] and give them an idea of what your application would look like and whether they think it's imperative for you to resit Maths, as well as asking how many people got in with a B grade at GCSE etc.

Best of luck!

Original post by Utkarsh Shalla
I applied to Bath too,hvnt recd any reply till now??

I can imagine that being quite stressful, but there isn't a huge amount that you can do. Best to focus on getting the grades you want and hopefully you hear back soon. :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Heya,

By the sounds of it is pretty important to have an A at GCSE Maths, even if it isn't strictly necessary. I suspect that only candidates that are outstanding in other respects fall into to the small number of applicants that get accepted with a B at GCSE.

I've also heard that the placement course is very competitive and doesn't have a huge amount of places on it, so I would strongly suggest resitting Maths and working for it.

If you like, you could email [email protected] and give them an idea of what your application would look like and whether they think it's imperative for you to resit Maths, as well as asking how many people got in with a B grade at GCSE etc.

Best of luck!

Hey, thank you for your help. I'll do as you said and send an email to admissions, because resitting really isn't an option for me at all :frown:
Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest