The Student Room Group

What should I do?

Currently studying music but thinking of transferring to an English literature course - thoughts?
Original post by pianist01
Currently studying music but thinking of transferring to an English literature course - thoughts?

Well I think you need to provide more info tbh
Reply 2
Original post by cbreef
Well I think you need to provide more info tbh

I've been training to study music classically for as long as I can remember, but where I am studying music at the moment, my teachers and classes aren't actually teaching me anything and it is making me begin to dislike something I previously loved - and this is mainly because we aren't being taught anything at all and I feel I am paying a lot for nothing.

My interest in English literature is one which I have turned to a lot for comfort and it made me realise that I have the option to pursue something further which would be more useful for me in terms of getting classes where I learn something (e.g. seminars and debates opposed to performance classes which I don't actually perform in) For this reason I have applied for several English courses but haven't heard back yet.

Applying for those courses was something I did privately and I haven't told anyone about this - it was a huge step for me and I found it very scary. It is just terrifying: the prospect of giving up something I have studied and prepared for for so long in order to do something else. I was going to finish the degree (it is three years) and apply for an English degree after I left but I am hugely unhappy and this is channelled also due to issues at home.

What do you think I should do? What would you do if you were me?
Reply 3
Do you rely on Student Finance? If so, how far are you through your music degree?
Original post by pianist01
I've been training to study music classically for as long as I can remember, but where I am studying music at the moment, my teachers and classes aren't actually teaching me anything and it is making me begin to dislike something I previously loved - and this is mainly because we aren't being taught anything at all and I feel I am paying a lot for nothing.

My interest in English literature is one which I have turned to a lot for comfort and it made me realise that I have the option to pursue something further which would be more useful for me in terms of getting classes where I learn something (e.g. seminars and debates opposed to performance classes which I don't actually perform in) For this reason I have applied for several English courses but haven't heard back yet.

Applying for those courses was something I did privately and I haven't told anyone about this - it was a huge step for me and I found it very scary. It is just terrifying: the prospect of giving up something I have studied and prepared for for so long in order to do something else. I was going to finish the degree (it is three years) and apply for an English degree after I left but I am hugely unhappy and this is channelled also due to issues at home.

What do you think I should do? What would you do if you were me?

If you're in your first year then feeling frustrated is very common. Because people come to degrees from a range of backgrounds with different levels of knowledge the first year of any degree is all about making sure that everyone understands the basics.

Speak to your tutor about your frustration - they may be willing to set you some additional work/tasks to keep you motivated and prepare you for second year. At the least they should be able to help reassure you that you will start to learn new things soon.

Also use your free time this year to get used to directing your own learning. Get involved with your subject society and any clubs. This is a really good way to make contact with people in higher years which is invaluable for getting a head start on the work ahead.
Original post by beruangmacan
both courses are terrible and useless tbh

Wow. Are you ok? Do you need a hug? You must be feeling pretty **** and insecure to feel the need to belittle someone else's choices unsolicited like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending