The Student Room Group

Need help on Biology ISA on Fatigue

Both myself and the rest of my class are having trouble finding much useful information on the ISA selected by our teacher
Our ISA task is to:
'investigate the effect of a factor that may affect how quickly muscles become fatigued.'
our teacher has given us a rough out line of a practical that goes like this:
squeese a hand grip trainer once every 5 seconds for as long as you can, timeing how long you can.
then every 4 seconds after rest,
then 3
then 2
then 1
then half a second.
record and plot data.

Hope you can help us with this!
Original post by thattallguy65
Both myself and the rest of my class are having trouble finding much useful information on the ISA selected by our teacher
Our ISA task is to:
'investigate the effect of a factor that may affect how quickly muscles become fatigued.'
squeese a hand grip trainer once every 5 seconds for as long as you can, timeing how long you can.
then 3
then 2
then 1
then half a second.
record and plot data.

ahh yes i literally did mine on monday and tuesday this week except our practical was to hold the weight out until the muscles in our arm became fatigued but they're the same investigation.
idk if you have been taught about muscle fatigue but if you havnt yet then muscle fatigue is when muscles start to use anaerobic respiration instead of aerobic. this is because the muscles run out of oxygen. energy is still needed so it is produced by glucose only. this produces lactic acid in the muscles. the acid in the muscle causes enzymes to stop working due to the lower pH of the acid. oxygen debt is how much oxygen is needed to get rid of the lactic acid and allow your muscles to respire aerobically again.
one factor that affects how quickly muscles become fatigued is the intensity of the exercise. in my isa we held different weights (1kg to 5kg) so the heavier weight the higher the intensity. but in your case the independent variable is the amount of rest - so the intensity changes because the less rest you get - the less oxygen debt you have paid back. so you will be able to keep going with 5 second rests rather than half second rests. the dependent variable would be the amount of time you can go for and control variables would be how hard you squeeze the grip trainer - how much rest you get between each go etc

sorry if that was a bit much and i hope i helped a little
Original post by thattallguy65
Our ISA task is to:
then 3
then 2
then 1
then half a second.
record and plot data.

This was a weally bad method to use. DONT EVER USE!!!!
Use squeezeofficial.com
Reply 3
I'm doing the same ISA
how are you linking the experiment to the context?
Original post by elliot+dan
This was a weally bad method to use. DONT EVER USE!!!!
Use squeezeofficial.com

Don't be sooooooooo NeGaTiVe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
gnashers
same
Reply 7
What would be the risks for the experiment that you did?? We are doing paper 1 on the one with the weights and we have struggled to find all 3 risks
Reply 9
Original post by caity111
What would be the risks for the experiment that you did?? We are doing paper 1 on the one with the weights and we have struggled to find all 3 risks

I did this last year:

- Clear the table so there are no obstructions.

- Check before hand if anyone has asthma, and then do not allow them to partake in the experiment as they could have an asthma attack or allow them to partake in the experiment but make sure they have an inhaler on stand by if needs be.

- Make sure you have your elbow on the table with the weight over the table, so it does not fall and cause possible harm to your feet (could break toes).

- Do not allow any people with behaviour issues take part as they could distract others during the experiment and cause possible harm to other students.
Reply 10
The context is telling athletes how important recovery after exercise is --> you need to cool down so you can get oxygen to maintain performace so you can get back to aerobic respiration
Reply 11
There aren't many control variables though
Original post by Edosawr
I did this last year:

- Clear the table so there are no obstructions.

- Check before hand if anyone has asthma, and then do not allow them to partake in the experiment as they could have an asthma attack or allow them to partake in the experiment but make sure they have an inhaler on stand by if needs be.

- Make sure you have your elbow on the table with the weight over the table, so it does not fall and cause possible harm to your feet (could break toes).

- Do not allow any people with behaviour issues take part as they could distract others during the experiment and cause possible harm to other students.

What do you mean by "behaviour issues"? I have a disability and sometimes this can affect my behaviour but still I have done the practical. Watch your words next time.
Original post by Tinka99
What do you mean by "behaviour issues"? I have a disability and sometimes this can affect my behaviour but still I have done the practical. Watch your words next time.

No, don't misinterpret what I said. Behaviour issues is if someone can't consistently behave properly and could cause harm to someone e.g. Joking around and pretending to throw weights.

I seriously think you've misinterpreted this and this is a valid safety issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edosawr
No, don't misinterpret what I said. Behaviour issues is if someone can't consistently behave properly and could cause harm to someone e.g. Joking around and pretending to throw weights.

I seriously think you've misinterpreted this and this is a valid safety issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok sorry for my mistake with my misinterpretation. I tend to get very worked up when people decide to discriminate against the disabled. It's 110% non tolerant to me.
Original post by Tinka99
Ok sorry for my mistake with my misinterpretation. I tend to get very worked up when people decide to discriminate against the disabled. It's 110% non tolerant to me.

I 100% agree, that's totally unacceptable but this wasn't directed to disabled people, just the people who purposely misbehave. 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Independent - Rate of fist clenching/unclenching
Dependent - Time for muscles to become fatigued
Control variables - Arm/hand used for fist clenching, rest time in between tests
Reply 17
Original post by alexchen
There aren't many control variables though

Control Variable(s) - Arm/hand used for fist clenching, rest time in between tests.

Independent Variable- Rate of fist clenching/unclenching.

Dependent Variable- Time for muscles to become fatigued.

Hope it helped!

Source was: http://sciencegcseisamethods.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/gcse-biology-gcse-additional-science.html
Original post by cesca1u1u
ahh yes i literally did mine on monday and tuesday this week except our practical was to hold the weight out until the muscles in our arm became fatigued but they're the same investigation.
idk if you have been taught about muscle fatigue but if you havnt yet then muscle fatigue is when muscles start to use anaerobic respiration instead of aerobic. this is because the muscles run out of oxygen. energy is still needed so it is produced by glucose only. this produces lactic acid in the muscles. the acid in the muscle causes enzymes to stop working due to the lower pH of the acid. oxygen debt is how much oxygen is needed to get rid of the lactic acid and allow your muscles to respire aerobically again.
one factor that affects how quickly muscles become fatigued is the intensity of the exercise. in my isa we held different weights (1kg to 5kg) so the heavier weight the higher the intensity. but in your case the independent variable is the amount of rest - so the intensity changes because the less rest you get - the less oxygen debt you have paid back. so you will be able to keep going with 5 second rests rather than half second rests. the dependent variable would be the amount of time you can go for and control variables would be how hard you squeeze the grip trainer - how much rest you get between each go etc

sorry if that was a bit much and i hope i helped a little[/QUOT
Ok, so for paper 2, how do you link it to the context. Thanks btw, really helped me a lot to understand the concept. It would be great if you could help me with this, thanks.
Reply 19
Can anyone tell me any hard questions or anything about te case studies

Quick Reply

Latest