The Student Room Group

Supply Chain Management, I need your help

Hey there!
I'm an Italian student and I have offer letters from University of Cardiff, University of Leeds, University of Surrey, University of Strathclyde, University of Newcastle and University of Heriot Watt. (Msc Supply Chain Management).
How you rate them and why?

I applied to a lot of universities to have a wide range of options and because I like the programs but I’d like to know what you guys think about these uni and why, maybe if you know something about their reputation too. I’d really appreciate to know your ideas.

Thank you for your help guys!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Can anyone help me?
I need to make my decision quickly...if someone can halp it would be great, thank you again!!
Original post by aj46
Can anyone help me?
I need to make my decision quickly...if someone can halp it would be great, thank you again!!

I can't comment on the quality/reputation for Supply Chain Management - and that should be a serious consideration for you, but for general university reputation

Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff (perhaps just about in that order?) are a smidge better than
Surrey, which is a bit better than
Strathclyde and Heriot Watt

But that is using a fairly crude measure of history, reputation, public awareness etc.

You should also consider any specific reputation for SCM and the environment/location you want to live in.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
I can't comment on the quality/reputation for Supply Chain Management - and that should be a serious consideration for you, but for general university reputation

Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff (perhaps just about in that order?) are a smidge better than
Surrey, which is a bit better than
Strathclyde and Heriot Watt

But that is using a fairly crude measure of history, reputation, public awareness etc.

You should also consider any specific reputation for SCM and the environment/location you want to live in.

Thank you for your reply. Sadly I could only find rankings of management courses in general and none for SCM specifically. I have understood that those are all good universities (in general and for management too)... But I am not really sure that I should consider the "management rankings" true also for SCM...am i wrong?. In any case, thanks for your help!
Original post by aj46
Thank you for your reply. Sadly I could only find rankings of management courses in general and none for SCM specifically. I have understood that those are all good universities (in general and for management too)... But I am not really sure that I should consider the "management rankings" true also for SCM...am i wrong?. In any case, thanks for your help!

No, you are right, Management will refer to a different set of courses I suspect. Logistics would be a closer fit, but I suspect there aren't rankings for that either.

Really, you will be fine with any of the first 4 or 5. Choose any of them and when it comes to getting a job, your own soft skills, personality and fit with the employer will be more important than the difference between Newcastle and Surrey.

You've got to be happy enough with the environment and the facilities to do your absolute best as well.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
No, you are right, Management will refer to a different set of courses I suspect. Logistics would be a closer fit, but I suspect there aren't rankings for that either.

Really, you will be fine with any of the first 4 or 5. Choose any of them and when it comes to getting a job, your own soft skills, personality and fit with the employer will be more important than the difference between Newcastle and Surrey.

You've got to be happy enough with the environment and the facilities to do your absolute best as well.

OK! Thank you so much!!
Reply 6
If someone knows something else, maybe for SCM specifically, any help is well accepted
Hi aj46

My name is Alison and I work in the School of Management and Languages at Heriot-Watt which offers the MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management programmes you applied for.

If you would find it helpful we could put you in touch with one of our MSc Logistics students from last year (a German student) who'd be able to answer any questions you might have about the programme, the SCM element of it and how he found it. He can also tell you about what its like to live and study in Edinburgh.

Let me know if you'd find that useful and we'll get it sorted out for you.

Thanks
Ali :smile::smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi aj46

My name is Alison and I work in the School of Management and Languages at Heriot-Watt which offers the MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management programmes you applied for.

If you would find it helpful we could put you in touch with one of our MSc Logistics students from last year (a German student) who'd be able to answer any questions you might have about the programme, the SCM element of it and how he found it. He can also tell you about what its like to live and study in Edinburgh.

Let me know if you'd find that useful and we'll get it sorted out for you.

Thanks
Ali :smile::smile:

Hi Alison!

Thank you, it would be great. I will be very pleased If you can send me a message with some information.
Thanks again
Original post by aj46
If someone knows something else, maybe for SCM specifically, any help is well accepted

Hi Let me introduce myself. I am Melvyn Peters, the Director of Education and the Cranfield School,of Management.All of the Universities you list have reputable programmesbut have you considered Cranfield?You may find the following industry survey useful in yourdecision process:http://www.scmworld.com/columns/beyond-supply-chain/scm-world-university-100--the-best-b-schools-for-supply-chain-talent/To find out more about Cranfield and the MSc Logistics andSupply Chain Management please see our web pages on:http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/p2172/Programmes-and-Executive-Development/MSc/Full-time-MSc-in-Logistics-and-Supply-Chain-ManagementOnce you have made contact with our admissions team we canarrange for you to discuss the course with a current student, alumnus or theCourse Director. There are two Italianstudents on the programme this year.Whichever course, you ultimately chose, I wish you every success for the future .Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending