The Student Room Group

University Exams

Hi,

I am aware that exam season is now coming to an end. #It_Is_Over.

The thing is, and I am not sure if anyone believes it - but we often do better than we anticipated. So like when we walk out of an exam and think **** i ****ed up on that question and despite adding up all the marks YOU thought you would get - you often get higher.

Does this happen, and has this every happened to anyone before?
Original post by klu5ion
Hi,

I am aware that exam season is now coming to an end. #It_Is_Over.

The thing is, and I am not sure if anyone believes it - but we often do better than we anticipated. So like when we walk out of an exam and think **** i ****ed up on that question and despite adding up all the marks YOU thought you would get - you often get higher.

Does this happen, and has this every happened to anyone before?

We often forget that we will get method marks even if we think we got the wrong answers, and also exams are scaled so if everyone found it hard then it's okay!
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
We often forget that we will get method marks even if we think we got the wrong answers, and also exams are scaled so if everyone found it hard then it's okay!

Hi,

But does scaling apply at university level though? Also are exams marked differently, say if you are dyslexic for example at university?
Original post by klu5ion
Hi,

But does scaling apply at university level though? Also are exams marked differently, say if you are dyslexic for example at university?

Yes scaling applies.
I'm not sure about your second question, you might need to have a chat with your personal tutor about that.
Reply 4
Yes scaling applies.
I'm not sure about your second question, you might need to have a chat with your personal tutor about that.

Ok thanks.

What do you mean by scaling? I am a little bit confused. Please explain it to me, including how the papers are marked?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by klu5ion
Ok thanks.

What do you mean by scaling? I am a little bit confused. Please explain it to me, including how the papers are marked?

Thanks

Like if everyone thought it was hard, they might add like 5% to everyone's mark.
Reply 6
Like if everyone thought it was hard, they might add like 5% to everyone's mark.

Really? I never knew that.

So but what if no one complains? Like there was a question in the exam that was tricky but two of my friends got it right
Original post by klu5ion
Really? I never knew that.

So but what if no one complains? Like there was a question in the exam that was tricky but two of my friends got it right

It not if people complain, it's if people get bad marks. Like unis try to make it so like the average mark is say 50% and if people do bad they need to add marks so they can get that. But if people think it's easy and get good marks, it can get scaled down.
Reply 8
It not if people complain, it's if people get bad marks. Like unis try to make it so like the average mark is say 50% and if people do bad they need to add marks so they can get that. But if people think it's easy and get good marks, it can get scaled down.

Wow I actually never knew that.

But then whats the point. Surely people can resit the exam, there is a reason for resits right...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending