The Student Room Group

can I get my own uni exam conditions

I had my first uni exam today, it was in a hall with 400 people all shoulder to shoulder, the room was hot endless whispering and the constant feeling of being watched/judged I couldn't focus at all the simple questions became hard, I studied so hard but struggled because of the environment the desk was tiny to high and far away the guy next to me stuck and are legs were all touching it was horrible, at collage and school I always had separate condition because of dyslexia and anxiety
Original post by denismith
I had my first uni exam today, it was in a hall with 400 people all shoulder to shoulder, the room was hot endless whispering and the constant feeling of being watched/judged I couldn't focus at all the simple questions became hard, I studied so hard but struggled because of the environment the desk was tiny to high and far away the guy next to me stuck and are legs were all touching it was horrible, at collage and school I always had separate condition because of dyslexia and anxiety

:console:
Contact your uni's disability office ASAP. Also have a look at Disabled Students Allowance on the gov.uk website. They're really helpful.

Word of warning that you might need to show them evidence of your diagnosis. But yes people can get their own room + extra time at uni. I have those adjustments myself and it definitely makes it less distracting :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2

Was this a formal exam like you'd have in an exam hall for GCSE or A-level? Or was it some kind of class test (albeit for a very large group)?

My experience of formal university exams was that the setup of the exam room was very like my GCSE and A-level exams -- exam desks set one metre apart. Certainly not shoulder-to-shoulder, and certainly no whispering going on. I graduated some years back, but I can't imagine the format will have changed since then.

Universities can make alternative arrangements for sitting exams. You need to submit a request for this well in advance, and you'll need to provide evidence as to why you need special arrangements. No information on any special arrangements you might have had at school/college will be passed to your university.

You won't necessarily be given a room on your own, but you may be allowed to take exams in a room with only a few other students.

Bear in mind that the other students won't be paying attention to you -- they'll be concentrating on what they're doing.

As @Chronoscope says, you need to get in contact with your university's disability services team. They can advise you on what you need to do regarding exam arrangements, and other support and adjustments that might help you during your time at university.

Hi,

I would recommend contacting your university's Disability and dyslexic team and asking them if recommendations can be put in place for your next set of exams. You should be eligible for a quieter exam centre and potentially some additional resources and supports so I'd highly recommend getting in touch with support services and getting those resources put in place for yourself.

Hopefully, a quieter exam hall will help you feel more comfortable in your future exams and you may be eligible for some additional time in exams if your assessor deems it necessary. I'm actually a disabled student myself and have used my DDS team many a time for additional support. As a result, I've been allocated a smaller exam hall and additional time in exams which has been of huge assistance to me doing well in my degree.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Hi there,
Is your dyslexia diagnosed? I wasn't diagnosed until I came to university but as soon as I was, I had special conditions confirmed e.g. extra time, separate rooms, breaks etc. You should talk to your tutor and disability office ASAP!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending