The Student Room Group

How to succeed at A level History?

So at GCSE I was really lucky and got an A*, this was a massive shock as I was getting solid Ds throughout the 2 years - I had never passed haha. I'm now really struggling and was wondering if anyone has any good revision tips to history, I find it really hard to revise for because there's so much :s-smilie:
Original post by Babs Posh
So at GCSE I was really lucky and got an A*, this was a massive shock as I was getting solid Ds throughout the 2 years - I had never passed haha. I'm now really struggling and was wondering if anyone has any good revision tips to history, I find it really hard to revise for because there's so much :s-smilie:
Do you struggle with remembering the facts etc or with writing the actual essays in the way the examiner wants them? :smile: what exam board are you on? :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
Do you struggle with remembering the facts etc or with writing the actual essays in the way the examiner wants them? :smile: what exam board are you on? :h:

I struggle with writing the essay, I'm okay with remembering dates etc but it's the analysis and forming an arguments using historical events that I find super hard! I'm on Edexcel (route F) and it's a new spec, so there's a lack of example answers and past questions. :redface:
Original post by Babs Posh
I struggle with writing the essay, I'm okay with remembering dates etc but it's the analysis and forming an arguments using historical events that I find super hard! I'm on Edexcel (route F) and it's a new spec, so there's a lack of example answers and past questions. :redface:
Ah, I'm on OCR so I don't want to give you the wrong advice :colondollar:

What advice have you got for OCR (my board)?
Reply 5

I though that the principals of writing essays for history A level would be the same regardless of the exam board. Are they that different??
Original post by pamplemousse.
What advice have you got for OCR (my board)?

Original post by zazi_xx
I though that the principals of writing essays for history A level would be the same regardless of the exam board. Are they that different??

Well on OCR A I do F966/02 Option B, Civil Rights in the USA :smile: The main principles and things my teacher stresses when writing the essays is to write about social, economic and political effects separately, and to make sure time periods are compared within that. We are also told to not make our points chronologically but to write them in order of importance. Also, make sure you aren't describing what happened, but concentrating on the effects of the event.

I'm not sure if any of those are relevant to Edexcel, but I hope they help in some way :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending