The Student Room Group

Anyone got any tips for revising?

Anyone got any genius ways to remember all the studies that can help me out in the long run ? :smile:

Reply 1
Just replying cos i want some tips aswell
Repetition? Make posters? Make a song?

How do/did you revise for other subjects/your GCSEs?
Reply 3
Original post by MarthaMae19
Anyone got any genius ways to remember all the studies that can help me out in the long run ? :smile:

Do whatever helped you revise at GCSE, try not to do anything too different when revising it all. Which exam board are you on? I spent trying all these new fancy techniques like mind maps and that, which got me no where so for mine i ended up noting everything and making it smaller, so i could go over it easier and it would help trigger my memory. Best advice though, revise, revise, revise and revise! Psychology A-Level is tough!
Reply 4
Original post by Ravens
Do whatever helped you revise at GCSE, try not to do anything too different when revising it all. Which exam board are you on? I spent trying all these new fancy techniques like mind maps and that, which got me no where so for mine i ended up noting everything and making it smaller, so i could go over it easier and it would help trigger my memory. Best advice though, revise, revise, revise and revise! Psychology A-Level is tough!

Strangely enough I don't really have a set technique except cramming- which has worked reasonably well but obviously isn't going to get me a high grade! I'm doing AQA Psychology A
Reply 5
Strangely enough I don't really have a set technique except cramming- which has worked reasonably well but obviously isn't going to get me a high grade! I'm doing AQA Psychology A

Ah right fair enough! Yeah i was the same at GCSE tbh too with the cramming! Ah cool cool! I did AQA A as well! Which topics are you doing for it?
Reply 6
Original post by Ravens
Ah right fair enough! Yeah i was the same at GCSE tbh too with the cramming! Ah cool cool! I did AQA A as well! Which topics are you doing for it?

Research methods, of course, Addictions, eating behaviour, relationships and schizophrenia :smile: You??
Reply 7
Research methods, of course, Addictions, eating behaviour, relationships and schizophrenia :smile: You??

Ah right okay, i did research methods, schizophrenia, Paranormal psychology, Bio rhythms and sleep, relationships and aggression. Generally what i did for them, i started by practicing my essays and trying to get the hang of narrowing it down to about 30 minutes per essay and for it to have enough detail in so i could gain as high marks as i could, timing is everything in the PSYA3 exam, PSYA4 you can be a bit more laid back with, as you have more time there. Once myself and my teacher was happy with my timings i moved onto the content learning, started using mind maps, found them useless. So created an essay plan for each possible question which could come up, for example; in relationships, for formation i did this
Theories for the formation of relationships
A01 –Byrne + Clore rewards/satisfaction theory learn through association pleasant experience based on OC + CC.
A02 Griffit + Guay Creative task positive experimenter = we like him :wink: PRAISE = GOOD
A02 Cate et al Reward levels 337 relationship rewards = most determining factor evaluate!
A03 - not universal theory ETHNOCENTRIC
A01 - Byrne, Clore and Smeaton Similarity theory Personality + attitude
A02 Bersch + Reis Similar personalities = more likely to be together
A02 Dissimilarity repulsion hypothesis (Rosenabaun) + cultural support Dragatons
A03 -USA + Sang + Tan Singapore Collectivist + Individualist YAY
A01 Walster et al matching hypothesis social/physical desirability
A02 Walster et al -752 prom matches Q+A 6 months success? Attractive = higher expectations. Personality pfft.
A03 - Demand characteristics want to look better. A03 Aron et al evolutionary reward system = focus courtship energy = speed up mating process

This for me helped me trim everything down to the barebones, so it would help with my memory recall when trying to remember each study, it also helps with the AO points, i found this method really useful and use it at uni now. It can look a little daunting this method and can take time, but i found it definately to be worth it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ravens
Ah right okay, i did research methods, schizophrenia, Paranormal psychology, Bio rhythms and sleep, relationships and aggression. Generally what i did for them, i started by practicing my essays and trying to get the hang of narrowing it down to about 30 minutes per essay and for it to have enough detail in so i could gain as high marks as i could, timing is everything in the PSYA3 exam, PSYA4 you can be a bit more laid back with, as you have more time there. Once myself and my teacher was happy with my timings i moved onto the content learning, started using mind maps, found them useless. So created an essay plan for each possible question which could come up, for example; in relationships, for formation i did this
Theories for the formation of relationships
A01 –Byrne + Clore rewards/satisfaction theory learn through association pleasant experience based on OC + CC.
A02 Griffit + Guay Creative task positive experimenter = we like him :wink: PRAISE = GOOD
A02 Cate et al Reward levels 337 relationship rewards = most determining factor evaluate!
A03 - not universal theory ETHNOCENTRIC
A01 - Byrne, Clore and Smeaton Similarity theory Personality + attitude
A02 Bersch + Reis Similar personalities = more likely to be together
A02 Dissimilarity repulsion hypothesis (Rosenabaun) + cultural support Dragatons
A03 -USA + Sang + Tan Singapore Collectivist + Individualist YAY
A01 Walster et al matching hypothesis social/physical desirability
A02 Walster et al -752 prom matches Q+A 6 months success? Attractive = higher expectations. Personality pfft.
A03 - Demand characteristics want to look better. A03 Aron et al evolutionary reward system = focus courtship energy = speed up mating process

This for me helped me trim everything down to the barebones, so it would help with my memory recall when trying to remember each study, it also helps with the AO points, i found this method really useful and use it at uni now. It can look a little daunting this method and can take time, but i found it definately to be worth it.

Thank you so much!! This is so helpfull! Are you studying Psychology now? Which University?
Reply 9
Thank you so much!! This is so helpfull! Are you studying Psychology now? Which University?

No worries you're welcome :smile: I am studying Psychology now yeah at Northumbria University :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Ravens
No worries you're welcome :smile: I am studying Psychology now yeah at Northumbria University :smile:

Are you enjoying it?
I have accepted my place at Plymouth! :smile:
Reply 11
Are you enjoying it?
I have accepted my place at Plymouth! :smile:

Yeah im really enjoying it here, i think you'll find that first year psychology is much easier in comparision to A-Level psychology, as least thats what ive found here :tongue: Come 2nd year im expecting the workload to increase bigtime! Awh nice awesome! A few people i know go to Plymouth and they really enjoy it there, the city is also very awesome, especially down on the docks, its beautiful!
Original post by Ravens
Yeah im really enjoying it here, i think you'll find that first year psychology is much easier in comparision to A-Level psychology, as least thats what ive found here :tongue: Come 2nd year im expecting the workload to increase bigtime! Awh nice awesome! A few people i know go to Plymouth and they really enjoy it there, the city is also very awesome, especially down on the docks, its beautiful!

What A-level grades did you get?
Reply 13
Original post by rileystringer1
What A-level grades did you get?

BBC overall :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending