The Student Room Group

Y12s, how are you feeling about AS exams starting in four months?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
You revise each bit individually and then by April - you'll have covered everything and all you need to do is take a chunk out of the cake each day until your exams are over!

If you've got leftover cake, you haven't done enough!

Oooh! This sounds like a good method! If I didn't already have a 'master plan' then I'd be adopting this one straight away! :h:
Original post by kholland
Oooh! This sounds like a good method! If I didn't already have a 'master plan' then I'd be adopting this one straight away! :h:

Do tell us about your 'master plan' :tongue:

Aha I have no easy exams. Their all gonna be tough.
Original post by jamestg
Good luck with your mocks! I'm sure you'll do okay as long as you revise - that said I spent hours revising Biology to get a D...

Thanks!

I've done Chemistry and for all that I've said about that subject being my 'jam', I got a C :'D. But that was 'cause I revised the night before.

And I'm also still crying about how I was 1 mark away from an A in Bio, though I revised loads for that. (Chemistry was definitely a wake up call.) I crossed out a right answer, among many other stupid things!

Maths and Physics next! (Maths is on Tuesday and Thursday and I've done nothing :O)

What other subjects do you take?
Reply 43
Original post by flyingpanda
Thanks!

I've done Chemistry and for all that I've said about that subject being my 'jam', I got a C :'D. But that was 'cause I revised the night before.

And I'm also still crying about how I was 1 mark away from an A in Bio, though I revised loads for that. (Chemistry was definitely a wake up call.) I crossed out a right answer, among many other stupid things!

Maths and Physics next! (Maths is on Tuesday and Thursday and I've done nothing :O)

What other subjects do you take?

Maths, Politics and History! :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
Maths, Politics and History! :biggrin:

Oooo, how do you find History? Everyone I've spoken to hates it with a passion and two of my friends have already dropped out of it. :tongue:
People are already revising ahahaha what?
Original post by Nettled
Do tell us about your 'master plan' :tongue:

Aha I have no easy exams. Their all gonna be tough.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you... Haha, sorry - overused much?

Basically, I've given myself a rather ambitious deadline to finish ALL of my notes for EVERY SINGLE ONE of my subjects by the end of January by typing them up into flashcards on the likes of Anki or just simply Microsoft Word.

My logic is that by doing this I'll give myself at least three solid months of revision where I'll be able to repeatedly consolidate my notes, as it only takes me about an hour to go through a collection of flashcards on one chapter. I hope that through the repetition, the information will somehow stick.

Exam skills is currently not an issue so learning content will remain my priority. However, perhaps two months before the exams I'll be starting past paper questions and pestering my teachers to mark them!

I've also made little summary sheets where I have the headings from the specification and the key questions at the beginning of the chapters in, for example, my History textbooks so that I'll be tailoring my revision directly to what is required in the specification.

When I'm not motivated to revise properly, I'll be doing extra reading around my subjects. For example with Geography I could read up on the news about the current flood disasters for extra case study knowledge? Or maybe just procrastinate on TSR. :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
'Easiest' - World Development
'Hardest' - History of art (dropping that for A2 anyway)
What happens if two of my exams clash?
Original post by kholland
If I told you, I'd have to kill you... Haha, sorry - overused much?

Basically, I've given myself a rather ambitious deadline to finish ALL of my notes for EVERY SINGLE ONE of my subjects by the end of January by typing them up into flashcards, the likes of Anki or Quizlet.

My logic is that by doing this I'll give myself at least three solid months of revision where I'll be able to repeatedly consolidate my notes, as it only takes me about an hour to go through a collection of flashcards on one chapter. I hope that through the repetition, the information will somehow stick.

Exam skills is currently not an issue so learning content will remain my priority. However, perhaps two months before the exams I'll be starting past paper questions and pestering my teachers to mark them!

I've also made little summary sheets where I have the headings from the specification and the key questions at the beginning of the chapters in, for example, my History textbooks so that I'll be tailoring my revision directly to what is required in the specification.

When I'm not motivated to revise properly, I'll be doing extra reading around my subjects. For example with Geography I could read up on the news about the current flood disasters for extra case study knowledge? Or maybe just procrastinate on TSR. :u:

Yep, heard that line so many times :lol:

Nice plan :fluffy:

Might steal some of it although it's probably too late for me to finish notes by Jan as I am lacking in notes. Do you make notes straight away after the lesson? I'm impressed you've managed to keep up :smile: History notes are tedious. And snap I do geography too! What exam boards are you with for both?
Original post by Nettled
Yep, heard that line so many times :lol:

Nice plan :fluffy:

Might steal some of it although it's probably too late for me to finish notes by Jan as I am lacking in notes. Do you make notes straight away after the lesson? I'm impressed you've managed to keep up :smile: History notes are tedious. And snap I do geography too! What exam boards are you with for both?

Haha! Seemed fitting given the circumstances!

Go for it! It is a bit time consuming typing everything up, still easier than writing notes though, but in the long term you'll have a cracking set of notes that you can go through at a steady pace rather than actually making notes all the way up to the exam! :afraid:

Depends really! I'm actually ahead with most of my notes, nearly done with History and R.S, so I reinforce my existing notes with stuff covered in class. I've finished all of my Geography notes but we get quite a bit of extra information in class so I always incorporate those.

It wouldn't be surprising if I told you that I've basically marathoned note-making and filled up my spare time with trying to complete it all! I have a few events in the next few months so I'm trying to make up for my future time by forfeiting any social events until I've completed my revision notes so that I won't lose out overall!

History is pretty tedious however once you've learnt it and cracked how to answer the questions, it's pretty easy to revise for!

For both Geography and History I'm doing the AQA specification. For Geography I'm doing Healthy Issues and Cold Environments for the optional topics. For History I'm doing the Tudors, for the breadth study, and Democracy and Nazism (Germany) for the depth study...

What inspiring eras of History!
Easiest: Maths C1/Accounting
Hardest: Law (it's so hard to write everything down in such a short time urgh, and the cases ;-; so many ;-; )
I have to do C1-3, M1&2 and S1&2 and I still need to learn everything except C1 c2 and m1
Bruh... 4 months? Damn.
I know like 7.2% of what I am supposed to know:frown: and I got D's and U's for my mocks. I really need to start. Anyone know any good motivational techniques and stuff to help with revision?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ice-cube
Bruh... 4 months? Damn.
I know like 7.2% of what I am supposed to know:frown: and I got D's and U's for my mocks. I really need to start. Anyone know any good motivational techniques and stuff to help with revision?

Look at how bad you did in your mocks. Do you want that to happen in the real exams? No? Then get'ch yo a** studyin'
Original post by NishatM
Look at how bad you did in your mocks. Do you want that to happen in the real exams? No? Then get'ch yo a** studyin'

Trust me man, I didn't do any revision whatsoever. Matter of fact, I don't even know where my books are..
OMG, I need to sort my damn life out:bored:
Trust me man, I didn't do any revision whatsoever. Matter of fact, I don't even know where my books are..
OMG, I need to sort my damn life out:bored:

I know exactly how you feel
But I'm naturally smart so not-studying works for me
I'm sure I checked 4 books out of the college library but I don't know where they've gone...
Original post by NishatM
I know exactly how you feel
But I'm naturally smart so not-studying works for me
I'm sure I checked 4 books out of the college library but I don't know where they've gone...

I'm not naturally smart at all:frown:
BTW how was your mock results like?
Bruh... 4 months? Damn.

Take deep breaths and just start again from each of your textbooks. Read through, write stuff out and practice questions if that applies, and then do mocks. It looks like you should revise your unit 1s - don't ignore them while you're starting to learn unit 2s!

Motivation can be hard to find until you get results back.. which I guess you kind of have with your mocks. Just try your best to fix it - you don't want to find out that you have to resit the year.
I'm not naturally smart at all:frown:
BTW how was your mock results like?

I got AAABC in my mocks :biggrin:
Bruh... 4 months? Damn.

But in all honesty, there isn't a set method that is going to make you do revision.

One thing that may help is to not give yourself unrealistic goals. Everyday make a little list of what you need/want to get done that day, like a topic you need to cover or a piece of homework you need to do. Stick to it, get it done. After a few days, completing goals will start to get almost addictive and you'll start enjoying accomplishing them! In the long term this is going to help with your studies!

Good luck! :u:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest