The Student Room Group

Trying to become an interpreter...

Hello students, I am currently also a student. lol

so I have heard from a few people through family that interpreting is excellent to do and you get paid.

My mother language is Kurdish and I am fluent in both kurdish and english.
I want to start translating for people other than my family, I currently translate for my aunties, friends of theirs etc.

Everyone who I've translated for is very pleased and says I make them understand very well, so now I want to become a legit guy who does it for cash.

Sadly, I have no one to ask for advice from, and the internet is providing very low information.

However, most of the information I've found tells me I need atleast a Post Graduate degree?(kurdish people herewho do translate don't have a college degrees, and they still do it so idk wtf they on)

Does anyone know what I need to become an interpreter that will be called in for people who may have difficulties in hospitals and stuff?

Thanks.
Original post by zeexl

For informal translating, just being fluent is good enough. However, most professional contexts for translating require qualifications because they are to do with very precise translation of words that have very strict legal/political/health/security meanings and there are strict conventions about the role of the translator and how they translate. So if you want to be a professional translator for an international organisation, the UN or similar, you will almost certainly need a qualification. If you just want to join a company that provides translation services you might get away without training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending