The Student Room Group

Medical gap year after 4 rejections

Hello everyone.
I have opened this thread to enquire on how I should pursue a gap year after having received 4 rejections from King's College, Leeds, Barts and the London, and Keele for Medicine.
Here are some of my ideas - I'm not sure if these will help me to make a better application for 2017 entry, please comment:

- 1 year apprenticeship in IT (paid), because I can save money for university, technology plays an important role in medicine, and it's science-related
- Regular Hospital volunteering on Saturdays and doing more health work experience
- Carrying on a small book selling service on eBay (as a hobby, to earn some money, and because it helps with my time management and organisation skills)
- Creating a blog either about science and health news or with science A level revision resources
- Learning beginner's piano and joining the Cadets or youth activity group
- Getting a summer job (I'm not sure whether it has be in medicine or not)

Please could you advise on whether these are good ideas or not, and what I should change/add new ideas?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Do you mind me asking, but what sort of grades did you get for your gcse's and a levels?
As someone who's currently on a gap year it sounds great to me :smile: For the summer job I would advise applying in retail. If you haven't already make sure to ask the unis for feedback and spend time improving on your weaknesses this year so you can be a stronger applicant next time around
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by liv...11
Do you mind me asking, but what sort of grades did you get for your gcse's and a levels?

Not a problem :biggrin:
I got 7 A*s and 4 As and GCSE.
AS grades were 3 Bs for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, and an A in Maths.
For overall A level results, I am currently predicted As in Biology and Physics, and either A (the prediction on my UCAS form) or B (based on my January mock exam results) in Chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by goldenshades
As someone who's currently on a gap year it sounds great to me :smile: For the summer job I would advise applying in retail. If you haven't already make sure to ask the unis for feedback and spend time improving on your weaknesses this year so you can be a stronger applicant next time around

Yes, I have heard from many people that retail is often a good place to work for medicine because you have to deal with the public, it demonstrates communication and good customer service, you need to learn to manage with difficult customers/busy times, etc.

I will try to email the universities soon, thank you for your advice!

How is your gap year going so far and are you applying for Medicine too?
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
Yes, I have heard from many people that retail is often a good place to work for medicine because you have to deal with the public, it demonstrates communication and good customer service, you need to learn to manage with difficult customers/busy times, etc.

I will try to email the universities soon, thank you for your advice!

How is your gap year going so far and are you applying for Medicine too?
No problem :smile: It's going well; I'm reapplying for Dentistry due to not having got in last year. Once you receive feedback and need anymore advice regarding the reapplication process, whether it be your PS, improving your UKCAT etc., feel free to PM me! Although it may be discouraging not to have received an offer this cycle please don't let it get to you (after all, it's character building) but rather encourage you to achieve the grades you need and do better next time
(edited 8 years ago)
This situation is a bit like wanting an apple macbook but only being able to afford an Acer laptop. Medicine is all about cutting the mustard...
Original post by investmentbankar
This situation is a bit like wanting an apple macbook but only being able to afford an Acer laptop. Medicine is all about cutting the mustard...

So true, my mate reapplied after a gap year and was told was basically told to **** off.
Reply 8
Original post by goldenshades
No problem :smile: It's going well; I'm reapplying for Dentistry due to not having got in last year. Once you receive feedback and need anymore advice regarding the reapplication process, whether it be your PS, improving your UKCAT etc., feel free to PM me! Although it may be discouraging not to have received an offer this cycle please don't let it get to you (after all, it's character building) but rather encourage you to achieve the grades you need and do better next time

Thanks for your help! I agree about the character building, if I use the next year wisely, it could go really well.
Reply 9
Does anyone else have any advice?
Reply 10
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
Does anyone else have any advice?

Hi, I'm not sure about the admissions policies of the unis you applied to, but I'd think that the crucial thing to focus on right now is getting that A for chemistry, as getting a B may well prevent you from applying for a five year undergrad course at all. Then getting work experience that you can reflect on in both your form and interview will be useful, but needn't be for the whole year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending