The Student Room Group

Retaking maths GCSE, did lower, want to do higher

Im currently in year 12. At GCSE i did lower maths and got a c. Problem is for allot of the uni courses i'd like to do you need a minimum of a b. Has any one else here initially done lower maths but then went on to retake it at higher? How difficult was it? Could i fit it arround my a levels? Thanks
I'm still doing GCSEs but usually you can fit a maths resit around your a-levels because most schools/colleges offer it. There isn't much difference between higher and lower if you're a quick learner.
Original post by Will-S
Im currently in year 12. At GCSE i did lower maths and got a c. Problem is for allot of the uni courses i'd like to do you need a minimum of a b. Has any one else here initially done lower maths but then went on to retake it at higher? How difficult was it? Could i fit it arround my a levels? Thanks

Higher has more content than Foundation - quadratic formula, sine and cosine rules, spheres, cones to name a few. You might not have covered some of those topics in your GCSE work at school.

Have a look at some higher past papers - easy to find on AQA/Edexcel web sites (mark schemes are also there) - and see how you go on with one or two. There will be lots of questions that you should be able to answer. You can also find grade boundaries online so you'll be able to judge whether or not a B is achievable with what you already know or whether you need some extra help with new topics.
Some schools/colleges put on classes for retakes. I suppose it's always worth asking if you can join one.
Good luck with your quest.

Quick Reply

Latest