The Student Room Group

CGP Revision Guides

For chemistry and physics, I own the AQA A-level CGP Revision Guides for the New specification. Are these 2 books good enough to get an A*s?
CGP books alone no. CGP books + constant past papers = yes
Reply 2
Original post by Daniel9998
CGP books alone no. CGP books + constant past papers = yes

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Would you advise I should take notes from it or is reading the book just fine? I'm not really a keen note taker.
Original post by Qiameth
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Would you advise I should take notes from it or is reading the book just fine? I'm not really a keen note taker.

I always got teachers and others banging on about taking revision notes as you take in more then if you just read "apparently". But im the same, not really a fan of note taking, when i read i take in more for some reason. So yeh if you prefer reading, then go for that.
But cant stress how important mock papers are, its the best way to achieve 100%. Do every single mock paper multiple times until your achieving full marks. Can do past papers from other exam boards as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Qiameth

Make notes !!!!! and past papers !!!!!!

One of the best ways of committing something to memory is to write it out and then rewrite it. Make notes - good ones - and then later rewrite them out. And of course past papers - do the questions - then, if needed, rewrite the answers as model answers (neat and correct with all you need to get full marks - i.e. use the mark schemes). Then when you have done them all - do them again. Learn from them.

It takes time - but anyone who is capable should get straight A* doing that. But it takes commitment and discipline. This isn't an hour per day task - it's four hours per day and then time at the weekends. You'll end up with dozens of pages of notes and several hundred pages of answered past questions (for 3 A levels total).
Reply 5
Original post by Daniel9998
I always got teachers and others banging on about taking revision notes as you take in more then if you just read "apparently". But im the same, not really a fan of note taking, when i read i take in more for some reason. So yeh if you prefer reading, then go for that.
But cant stress how important mock papers are, its the best way to achieve 100%. Do every single mock paper multiple times until your achieving full marks. Can do past papers from other exam boards as well.

Thanks a lot man, I think I will try and take notes whenever possible. But past papers are the main thing I should be doing.
Reply 6
Original post by chi_cygni
Make notes !!!!! and past papers !!!!!!

One of the best ways of committing something to memory is to write it out and then rewrite it. Make notes - good ones - and then later rewrite them out. And of course past papers - do the questions - then, if needed, rewrite the answers as model answers (neat and correct with all you need to get full marks - i.e. use the mark schemes). Then when you have done them all - do them again. Learn from them.

It takes time - but anyone who is capable should get straight A* doing that. But it takes commitment and discipline. This isn't an hour per day task - it's four hours per day and then time at the weekends. You'll end up with dozens of pages of notes and several hundred pages of answered past questions (for 3 A levels total).

I think note taking is a good way to revise. I need to get into the habit of writing notes on every page. However I don't think rewriting them is necessary unless they are very messy notes of course.
Reply 7
Original post by Qiameth
I think note taking is a good way to revise. I need to get into the habit of writing notes on every page. However I don't think rewriting them is necessary unless they are very messy notes of course.

Rewriting them is, in my opinion, a near essential tool of learning. Nothing concentrates the mind more than writing things out - with care and attention. Notes should never be messy to begin with. Messy notes are basically useless.

When people say they cannot take notes or can't be bothered to rewrite them in a legible manner - what they really mean to say is they are too effing lazy.

Quick Reply

Latest