The Student Room Group

Want to change course, possible?

Hi,

I'm currently studying an BTEC Extended Diploma in it in my first year, however I didn't want to do a BTEC since I passed all my GCSEs, it was recommended by my dad. My real aim was to do Medicine/Health Care, more realistically Nursing or Paramedic. I did pass everything but I didn't revise, so my grades weren't as high as I hoped they'd be, but it was also due to circumstances that I was recommended to do BTEC ICT.

Anyways I still want to become a Nurse or Paramedic but my course is 2 years long. I want to study Biology A-Levels so i can have atleast 1 A level in science so if I do go to uni I can maybe get through.

But I also want to do A Levels so I was thinking.

1)Can I do my Two Years ICT Course, and then do Two Years A Level?
2)If I get a degree in IT and start job can I also start studying and perhap go to Uni and also work in IT?
Original post by dna123
Hi,

I'm currently studying an BTEC Extended Diploma in it in my first year, however I didn't want to do a BTEC since I passed all my GCSEs, it was recommended by my dad. My real aim was to do Medicine/Health Care, more realistically Nursing or Paramedic. I did pass everything but I didn't revise, so my grades weren't as high as I hoped they'd be, but it was also due to circumstances that I was recommended to do BTEC ICT.

Anyways I still want to become a Nurse or Paramedic but my course is 2 years long. I want to study Biology A-Levels so i can have atleast 1 A level in science so if I do go to uni I can maybe get through.

But I also want to do A Levels so I was thinking.

1)Can I do my Two Years ICT Course, and then do Two Years A Level?
2)If I get a degree in IT and start job can I also start studying and perhap go to Uni and also work in IT?

Why not start a fresh with either a health and social care btec or by doing a levels from september and you'd still get a qualification for having done a year of the btec in IT? I think its possible to do that but not possible to finish the IT and then do a levels as you dont generally get the funding for a second level 3 qualification. Nursing and paramedic practice courses are incredibly rare to find part time so doing them after an It degree doesnt sound like a good idea when you can just get on the right track now.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Why not start a fresh with either a health and social care btec or by doing a levels from september and you'd still get a qualification for having done a year of the btec in IT? I think its possible to do that but not possible to finish the IT and then do a levels as you dont generally get the funding for a second level 3 qualification. Nursing and paramedic practice courses are incredibly rare to find part time so doing them after an It degree doesnt sound like a good idea when you can just get on the right track now.

I spoke to my teachers and I can't get a 1 year qualification in my BTEC course. It has to be the full two years. Afterwards I will turn 18 and that means education won't be free, so I'll have to pay for A Levels, I want to pick Biology,and IT for sure, but I don't know what else I can do, sticking with IT is not something I want to do.
Original post by dna123
I spoke to my teachers and I can't get a 1 year qualification in my BTEC course. It has to be the full two years. Afterwards I will turn 18 and that means education won't be free, so I'll have to pay for A Levels, I want to pick Biology,and IT for sure, but I don't know what else I can do, sticking with IT is not something I want to do.

That doesn't sound quite right. One other thought is could you get funding for an access course as sometimes that's possible. Otherwise I d say just quit the Btec and do a levels from September whilst you can get the funding.
Reply 4
Original post by dna123

You get free education for any course you enrol on before your 19th birthday, and by rights you do get a qualification for the first year of BTEC provided you have passed either 3, 6, 9, 12 or 18 units and have covered the core units you will recieve a qualification, if its the first year of an extended diploma you will get a 90-Credit Diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
You get free education for any course you enrol on before your 19th birthday, and by rights you do get a qualification for the first year of BTEC provided you have passed either 3, 6, 9, 12 or 18 units and have covered the core units you will recieve a qualification, if its the first year of an extended diploma you will get a 90-Credit Diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels

Hope this helps

So I might aswell do A Levels after I complete my BTEC IT course at 18
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777

Hope this helps
Hi, I'm reevulatiung my options, say if I completed my two year BTEC IT course, and then went to study A Levels, if I flop I have IT to fall back on right? I can still do it at Uni, if I pass A Levels and decide on a IT route instead could I still go to uni? Thanks
Reply 7
In theory yes, but you also have to get a college to accept you for the extra year which they might not if you already have successfully completed another qualificatuon of the same level

Also there would be no point, yes it wouldnt cost you anything but it would waste your time, there is no point staying put at the same level in education, either leave and go to work or progress and do a higher level qualification i.e. University

Unless you want to dramatically change what you want to do, or there is a requirement for a specific few subjects there would be no point, also if this was the case yoy might as well just do a foundation year, it would be quicker and actually tailored to the degree programme that you would be studying, also you would get to go to uni sooner rather than wait another 2 years still studying with 16 year olds

Do you have any other career aspirations aside from IT?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dna123
So I might aswell do A Levels after I complete my BTEC IT course at 18

No, i would advise against that, either leave rhe BTEC course with the 90-credit diploma and enrol on either A levels that would get you onto a Medical related or Nursing degree or take the BTEC Extended in Health and Social Care which would also get you onto a similar degree e.g. Nursing, Paramedic Science, Midwifery etc.

However with this option, it might still limit you, because if you wanted to go and study IT/CS at uni mist would require the full IT Extended Diploma, an option you could take would be to pick up A level Biology alongside your second year BTEC IT that way you'd get a relevant subject for Nursing and one that is required by a couple of unis, also the UCAS points from the BTEC IT would be enough to get you on to a Foundation/Conversion programme to do Nursing if thats what you decide to do, if not you would still be able to pursue a degree in IT, Computing, CompSci or similar

Quick Reply

Latest