The Student Room Group

Is leaving your laptop unattended for a few mins at uni library safe?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_98
everyone at uni has their own stuff anyway..why would they steal yours?.

Er, to sell?
Original post by Pseudo-truth
I only leave mine in very busy library areas (e.g. in view of the staff at the lending desk) with a bunch of stuff on top of it anyway so it would cause a scene to take it in a hurry.

That being said, I only leave it to take 5 minute toilet breaks. If you're going to leave it longer than that, it starts getting pretty risky!

Its is only a toilet break.

I actually might put a few books on it to stop thieves from taking it.
Reply 42
Original post by guesswho?
Or do you think it would get stolen?

Glad you asked this interesting answers i've always thought the same I don't have a mac book but I was hesitant in leaving my laptop in the library whilst i quickly went to the loo or to go find a book it's not been stolen yet but it's not something you should risk... if someone was to steal my laptop i'm sure they have camera's around the library somewhere they could get caught possibly?
Original post by guesswho3

I actually might put a few books on it to stop thieves from taking it.

You are lucky to live in an area where the thieves are so physically weak that they cannot move a book.
After reading this story from the Evening Standard, I don't think I would leave my laptop unattended at the university library.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/law-student-grapples-with-big-guys-after-laptop-is-stolen-at-london-university-a3172711.html
Original post by Anon_98
I think it's safe, everyone at uni has their own stuff anyway..why would they steal yours? Plus, it's a library. - surely people are just studying and therefore stealing would not be on their minds at all. I personally leave my stuff for agesss in the sixth form library all the time. Like, my bag + I even leave my phone on the desk- go and have lunch then return and nobody's ever touched anything ever. Idk if sixth form libraries are comparable to those at uni but I dont think there's anything wrong with it.

Not everyone has an amazing laptop like mine. Some scumbag walking by seeing this attended may think 'hmm wouldn't mind that'- and before you know it its in their bag.
Not in America it isn't

Yes it is, in most states. But how is that relevant here?
Original post by Good bloke
Yes it is, in most states. But how is that relevant here?

But in America you allowed to shoot a guy that comes into your house.
I'm dying for the toilet here still trying to decide what to do.
But in America you allowed to shoot a guy that comes into your house.

Only in a few states, and how is that relevant to having a laptop stolen in a public place. You won't have a gun in the library, surely? And how does the gun help if your PC is stolen while you are away from it?
I'm dying for the toilet here still trying to decide what to do.

I can tell. I'm hoping you can't last much longer and I can grab your machine and run.
Only in a few states, and how is that relevant to having a laptop stolen in a public place. You won't have a gun in the library, surely? And how does the gun help if your PC is stolen while you are away from it?

It shows in America you allowed to protect your belongings by shooting someone so why cant I beat the **** out of someone to get my laptop back?
I can tell. I'm hoping you can't last much longer and I can grab your machine and run.

Are you that asian guy that keeps staring at me?
Are you that asian guy that keeps staring at me?

If I told you the answer to that you'd be able to take more precautions, wouldn't you?
Reply 54
If it's the uni lib it should be safe
Original post by Dilsz
If it's the uni lib it should be safe

You didn't read the link in post 45 then.
Reply 56
People do it all the time in my uni's main library. Leave their stuff for hours too. But I only do if I need to take a two minute break from my work.
Er, to sell?

Oh. >.>

Not everyone has an amazing laptop like mine. Some scumbag walking by seeing this attended may think 'hmm wouldn't mind that'- and before you know it its in their bag.

:lol:
Probably.

But why risk it? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest