The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Can a university go into adjustment without going through clearing? Also do you know if Nottingham have gone into clearing in the last couple of years as I can't seem to find anything on it online

Nottingham were not in clearing last year.

If anyone is interested, from the law unis that I saw in clearing, these were present on day 1: Note the kings one dissapeared pretty quick.

Birmingham
Law (M100)

East Anglia
Law (M100)
Law with European Legal Systems (4 years) (M120)
Law with American Law (M123)

Kent
Law (M100)
European Legal Studies (4 years) (M120)

King's
English Law and French Law (with year abroad) (M121)

Newcastle
Law (M101)

Lancaster
Law (International) (M101)
Law (M100)

Liecster
English and French Law (M120)
Law (M100)

Manchester
Law (M100)

Reading
Law with Legal Studies in Europe (M125)
Law (M100)

Sheffield
Law (European and International) (M120)
Law (M100)

SOAS
Law (M100)

Surrey
Law. (M102)
Law (M100)

Sussex
Law (with a study abroad year) (M1RY)
Law (M100)

Warwick
Law (with Study Abroad in English) (M108)
Law (M100)
Law (M101)
Reply 2681
Original post by CJaneH
What grades do you have please? Still waiting on kings with the same LNAT score as you :smile:

AABC at AS level
6A*4A at GCSE,

what about you?
Original post by baldyy
AABC at AS level
6A*4A at GCSE,

what about you?

I've actually just got my offer through! Very similar to yours, AABC at AS and 5A*8A1C at GCSE
Original post by sop10
wow, me too! have you got offers from your other two choices? :smile:

I'm still waiting for kings but I I have an offer from Durham! Hopefully I'll see you both there :-)
Original post by crocface
Nottingham were not in clearing last year.

If anyone is interested, from the law unis that I saw in clearing, these were present on day 1: Note the kings one dissapeared pretty quick.

Birmingham
Law (M100)

East Anglia
Law (M100)
Law with European Legal Systems (4 years) (M120)
Law with American Law (M123)

Kent
Law (M100)
European Legal Studies (4 years) (M120)

King's
English Law and French Law (with year abroad) (M121)

Newcastle
Law (M101)

Lancaster
Law (International) (M101)
Law (M100)

Liecster
English and French Law (M120)
Law (M100)

Manchester
Law (M100)

Reading
Law with Legal Studies in Europe (M125)
Law (M100)

Sheffield
Law (European and International) (M120)
Law (M100)

SOAS
Law (M100)

Surrey
Law. (M102)
Law (M100)

Sussex
Law (with a study abroad year) (M1RY)
Law (M100)

Warwick
Law (with Study Abroad in English) (M108)
Law (M100)
Law (M101)

But the uni's in clearing aren't the same as the unis in adjustment? right?
Original post by kingofacademics
But the uni's in clearing aren't the same as the unis in adjustment? right?

No - you can approach any Uni you like if you exceed the grades required for your Firm. They may not have spaces or may not be interested in you, but you dont loose your current Firm while you ask. Here is the basic TSR advice about Clearing/Adjustment : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment

But honestly, if you get better grades than needed for your Firm, unless they are staggeringly better, its better to go to your original Firm (ie. AAB to AAA - is that course *really* going to be 'better' than your current Firm - not likely). If you get do get exceptionally/unexpected high grades (ie. BBB to AAA) you would be better dropping whatever offer you have for this year and making a fresh application for 2017. That way you get to look at the Uni(s) at Open Days, get a decent chance at securing decent accommodation and can think carefully about where you want to spend 3 years of your life rather than making an over hasty decision you later regret ....
Original post by peachpetals
Really interesting study done by Chamber student and The Times into what universities Law Firms appear to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and noted down what universities each came from. Might be useful those struggling to decide what university to firm and what university is more respected by Magic circle firms.

Can I remind everyone that a concentration of grads from X Uni at Y Law Firm does NOT mean that that Firm prefers folk from that Uni. All it means is that they have more of that Unis grads there - yes, that is all it means - -and that can be for any number of reasons like a group of particularly confident/strong grads from that Uni one year, an assumption by them that they will get in (so more folk from that Uni applied there) or simple geography (applicants who already live in London are more likely to want to work there), etc etc. AND, very importantly, even if this was reliable data, how do you know that in the 3 or 4 years you are at Uni that 'your' Uni might not suddenly slide down whatever clever list you are consulting?

So, PLEASE don't use silly surveys like this as some sort of employment Bible. It is not a sensible or intelligent way to choose a Uni.
Original post by returnmigrant
No - you can approach any Uni you like if you exceed the grades required for your Firm. They may not have spaces or may not be interested in you, but you dont loose your current Firm while you ask. Here is the basic TSR advice about Clearing/Adjustment : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment

But honestly, if you get better grades than needed for your Firm, unless they are staggeringly better, its better to go to your original Firm (ie. AAB to AAA - is that course *really* going to be 'better' than your current Firm - not likely). If you get do get exceptionally/unexpected high grades (ie. BBB to AAA) you would be better dropping whatever offer you have for this year and making a fresh application for 2017. That way you get to look at the Uni(s) at Open Days, get a decent chance at securing decent accommodation and can think carefully about where you want to spend 3 years of your life rather than making an over hasty decision you later regret ....

No personally I kind of like the idea of a last minute Uni decision. I think it would be exciting to exceed your offer, make a few phone calls and next thing you know it you're halfway across the country. Obviously some research is necessary, but if it's for the same course and you can get decent accommodation, then I wouldn't have to think twice.
Original post by returnmigrant
Can I remind everyone that a concentration of grads from X Uni at Y Law Firm does NOT mean that that Firm prefers folk from that Uni. All it means is that they have more of that Unis grads there - yes, that is all it means - -and that can be for any number of reasons like a group of particularly confident/strong grads from that Uni one year, an assumption by them that they will get in (so more folk from that Uni applied there) or simple geography (applicants who already live in London are more likely to want to work there), etc etc. AND, very importantly, even if this was reliable data, how do you know that in the 3 or 4 years you are at Uni that 'your' Uni might not suddenly slide down whatever clever list you are consulting?

So, PLEASE don't use silly surveys like this as some sort of employment Bible. It is not a sensible or intelligent way to choose a Uni.

Not saying it should be used as a bible but it can be helpful for those choosing university's. i.e. if im stuck between Leicester or Leeds seeing Leeds ranked highly INDICATES that university may have a better career service, more ambitious undergrads etc.

Its certainly more useful than, than some of the advice here on TSR where often you here people telling others " employers prefer Warwick", "Employers prefer UCL to Kings", at least this gives you proper data to analyse
Original post by Flossm5
has anyone who has applied for English Law (LLB) and French Law (Master) at KCL received an offer yet? A whole lot of offers/rejections seem to be going out for straight Law (LLB) but I have yet to meet one person applying for this particular course!

I have and no offer yet, don't worry
Rejection from LSE and offer from king's for PPL today
Original post by mitchriding

Sorry to hear that but congrats on your offer for Kings. I'm sure you're not that disappointed. My son got another email to say he was still being considered and could take another 2 weeks. Applied on 21 October for LSE. Are you firming Kings.
Offers from LSE, York, Warwick and Kent. Made LSE my firm and York as insurance!
Who else applied to LSE?
Original post by Cholesta
Sorry to hear that but congrats on your offer for Kings. I'm sure you're not that disappointed. My son got another email to say he was still being considered and could take another 2 weeks. Applied on 21 October for LSE. Are you firming Kings.

thank you! upset was offset by king's offer later in the day today, think i'm firming ucl and QM as insurance. good luck to your son!
Reply 2694
Anyone know what they put emphasis on in terms of application (ie. LNAT like KCL/LNAT essay like UCL/ PS like LSE etc)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mitchriding

I've had an offer for PLL too :-)

Just have to choose between that and Durham now...
Reply 2696
Rejection from King's and UCL, offer from QMUL and Edinburgh. Still waiting for LSE. Scored 22 on my LNAT, so I'm assuming that's the reasoning behind the two first rejections. Have no idea about LSE though...
An important discussion on the whole question of career chances by each Uni here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899945

Please read it all - and do your own careful thinking about what is being said.
Original post by sop10
wow, me too! have you got offers from your other two choices? :smile:

Yup! Warwick and Birmingham, which makes me quite worried about Durham because they're less competitive... How about you?
Original post by IDKY
Rejection from King's and UCL, offer from QMUL and Edinburgh. Still waiting for LSE. Scored 22 on my LNAT, so I'm assuming that's the reasoning behind the two first rejections. Have no idea about LSE though...

Same situation as you - both Kings and UCL rejected me due to my meager LNAT score. Now we know how heavy of an emphasis these unis place on LNATs.
I'm still waiting for LSE as well, and just got the 4 week email :-/ you ?

Latest

Trending

Trending