The Student Room Group

Is 23 Too Old To Start University?

I completed my GCSEs in 2010, and the following year attended a sixth form college to study for A Levels. I gained a B at AS Business. Unfortunately, a serious amount of negative events came my way which resulted in me quitting college. Because of all this, I fell into depression and anxiety. I've been working at a local café for 3 years now to earn some money but I know I need to get 'back on the horse' and get some qualifications, as I know just having GCSE's isn't enough for me. I've been dealing with my anxiety and will be sitting my A Levels this summer. I'm just not sure whether I'll fit in at uni since I'll be 23 when I start. I want to go to uni for the whole experience, and I'm just a little worried that the age gap may affect that.....

Scroll to see replies

you should be fine, 23 isn't too old to start
You're never to old to go back into education and especially not in your early 20s, go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm (hopefully) starting this year and I'm 25. You're not too old, there will be many other mature students at university.
23 is not old at all.
there'll most likely be other people your age and even older.
I think most students DON'T start uni at 18 anymore.
Most take gap years and others have other things want to do before.

Perfectly normal.
23 is totes fine, uni has such a diverse range of people that you won't not fit in simply because of your age :smile:
University is not like school where everybody is the same age as you in your year.There are many people who start university in their 20's. The age difference will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
im 23 in march and iv been doing uni since 22
No it's not too old
My aunties been going back and forward to different unis for years and she's in her 40s😂 so yeah I don't think you're too old to go to uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
25 here. -wave-
Original post by Supersaps
25 here. -wave-

AND a soldier

uni is open to everyone :smile:
HI, I'm gonna be 19 this year and will be 20 when i finish my final exams for only ONE (!!!!!) A level !!! just imagine how old I'll be when i start Uni ! D: :tongue:
I'm happy to see many ppl saying that age doesn't matter when it comes to University !
I'm going to start graduate medicine degree when in 25 hopefully & I've often thought that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i am offered this year I will be starting aged 22, although must admit i'm also nervous about the age thing
Reply 15
Nah, but they've got one of those tall scale thingys that they have at theme parks. So make sure you're tall enough for uni.
Original post by Yawn!
Nah, but they've got one of those tall scale thingys that they have at theme parks. So make sure you're tall enough for uni.

Pure banter

Posted from TSR Mobile
23 is definitely not too old!
The daughter of a colleague took on an apprenticeship as waiting staff/bartender, and then worked as one full time some years after. She's considering finishing her VVO next year, and if she ever goes to uni she'll be at least 26/27 when she starts.

In my opinion, it's never too late.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by suhwaki
23 is definitely too old!
The daughter of a colleague took on an apprenticeship as waiting staff/bartender, and then worked as one full time some years after. She's considering finishing her VVO next year, and if she ever goes to uni she'll be at least 26/27 when she starts.

In my opinion, it's never too late.

*Definitely not

But yeah just to echo what's been said in the thread so far, its really not too late to go to uni. In my first year there were 2 guys who were quite a bit older than everyone else, 23 and 24 I think. We all got on well, went on nights out together etc. People care a lot less about age at uni, as long as you're up for a laugh you'll have no problem getting the full experience.
Original post by dean01234
*Definitely not

But yeah just to echo what's been said in the thread so far, its really not too late to go to uni. In my first year there were 2 guys who were quite a bit older than everyone else, 23 and 24 I think. We all got on well, went on nights out together etc. People care a lot less about age at uni, as long as you're up for a laugh you'll have no problem getting the full experience.

Haha, ops! Edited it now.

Yeah. Reminds that there were two people in upper secondary who were one and three years older than the rest of us. No one cared, and everyone got along well.

Quick Reply

Latest