The Student Room Group

Do you find London to be a depressing city?

I've lived in London for the past 22 years (born here) but i'm starting to seeLondon to have one of the most depressing atmospheres.

Reasons:

- The weather is always terrible. Its too dull. You have to wake up to cloudy skies and a hidden sun, then sleep to terrible winds and covered stars.

- Its too historic, you don't feel as if its really moving forward with anything. The houses are all the same red brick ugly style (unless you have real £). Its full of museums and dull rivers.

- Tax depresses you. You have a nice salary of £50k? Get ready to give 14k away. You can then try to save your pennies for the next couple of years till you manage to save enough to take a mortgage on a small house outside London.

- NHS is downgrading year after year.

The list goes on.

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

All cities are depressing, London especially.
I agree, the NHS is slightly messed up.

I know from experience. And I'm only 16.
Most cities are at least somewhat depressing in my opinion
Literally all your points apply to everywhere else in the UK

And if you think it only takes 2 years to save up for a mortgage well then you have another think coming.... Although I suppose it mist be easier to the tune of at least £15,000 pa if you are living rent free with parents on a London wage
Reply 5
Nothing worse than a city on a grey day.
Reply 6
At least there's always something to do. I cant imagine living outside London in the UK, must be so boring tbh
Yh. Especially the tube, everyone looks like they hate their lives. Though i havent really lived outside of london enough to compare
No, I disagree. I only go up to London weekly, but I find there's a lot of creativity and wacky-ness to be found there. A have a few friends living there and they only realise how cool the city is when we go out together and do things, because they don't think to do it on their own. Yes the NHS is a mess and tax is becoming criminal, but everyone everywhere says that. They always have. What they haven't always said is that you got on the tube and saw a group of people dressed up for a Harry Potter convention or went round tonnes of free museums in one day. You have to remember that most places in England don't have that. I recently went to Berlin and in comparison to London it was a series of concrete blocks with all history but no culture. Frankly, if you're not happy with London, you might struggle to find somewhere that you are (rest assured I am very biased).
Original post by ivy.98
At least there's always something to do. I cant imagine living outside London in the UK, must be so boring tbh

Yeah literally nothing happens outside of London ever.
Very much.

I never thought I would say it, but Birmingham is better.

I don't get the, always something to do argument, the museums are really good, but most of it is either gimmicky tourist stuff or weird hipster ****.
Reply 11
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Is this sarcasm or nah? No Im basically just saying that London has the best attractions, there's always something new to try
Reply 12
The UK is depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would rather go hiking or canoeing than just be bombarded with random events, like that street where all the shows are - a whole row of theaters or worse still, having to get into the hipsterism of it all, like that stupid cafe which sells cereal or the one full of cats which is supposed to relax you.
(edited 8 years ago)
and half my family are from London, before anyone cracks out the predictable 'ur sooo bitter argument'
Original post by ivy.98

You mean "something expensive faraway from you to do".
The UK as a whole is depressing. The weather is atrocious.

Sarcasm. I love it.
Reply 18
Original post by frostyy
The UK as a whole is depressing. The weather is atrocious.

Makes you realise how great the Polish weather actually is. :moon:
Original post by ivy.98
Makes you realise how great the Polish weather actually is. :moon:

>40°C in mah city this summer, lovin it.
cold winters and hot summers is the right way innit

Quick Reply

Latest