The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
I put on quite a business looking dress! Long sleeves with dogtooth pattern. Hey how are you finding Social Policy and Social Interventions? I'm considering doing a Master's especially if I don't get on a graduate scheme, but even if I do maybe I'll do a Master's in a few years. I'm really interested in Policy and Social Research at Aston uni. My degree was Hispanic Studies though, so cultural rather than social science.... would I struggle?

Edit - that said, the one I mentioned is an MA rather than an MSc..

I really enjoy the subject. I can't really imagine what kind of theory you do in Hispanic Studies so I think that might be a pretty tough step because you need to be a bit familiar with social theories/politics theories. It's not impossible without but would make it a little harder. And I don't know how your statistical skills are, but quantitative research skills are kinda important. That being said, i am a statistics disaster and managed too thanks to the individual support (my course only has 15 people). I dont know how different it would be being a MA rather than a MSc...
Reply 161
Original post by Marwin123
I really enjoy the subject. I can't really imagine what kind of theory you do in Hispanic Studies so I think that might be a pretty tough step because you need to be a bit familiar with social theories/politics theories. It's not impossible without but would make it a little harder. And I don't know how your statistical skills are, but quantitative research skills are kinda important. That being said, i am a statistics disaster and managed too thanks to the individual support (my course only has 15 people). I dont know how different it would be being a MA rather than a MSc...

Hmm I would say my statistics skills are ok, I'm a note taker right now and I work with economics and psychology students who both have to do statistical analysis (they use programmes like SPSS and stata is this the kind of thing you mean?)

As for social / political theories name me a couple so I know how in depth / obscure you mean?

We don't go into depth with much theory in Hispanics although it comes up in certain modules. I'd imagine I'd need to do a bit of reading on this first if I was gonna pursue it :smile:

Thanks for your advice! x
Hmm I would say my statistics skills are ok, I'm a note taker right now and I work with economics and psychology students who both have to do statistical analysis (they use programmes like SPSS and stata is this the kind of thing you mean?)

As for social / political theories name me a couple so I know how in depth / obscure you mean?

We don't go into depth with much theory in Hispanics although it comes up in certain modules. I'd imagine I'd need to do a bit of reading on this first if I was gonna pursue it :smile:

Thanks for your advice! x

From this it sounds like you will be fine :smile: Theories that come to mind straight away are Esping-Anderson's classification of welfare state, keynesian economics stuff etc, so nothing crazy obscure, and it really depends on how the course is. But you would be fine, the people in my course all have wildly different backgrounds from health studies to anthropology to literature, and we all managed! :smile:
I wouldn't mind seeing some stats in terms of how many have got to this stage. Of course some people won't bother to complete the videos at all if they have found a job elsewhere. I wonder how many are still 'in' at this stage.
Reply 164
Original post by 3458349058349053
I wouldn't mind seeing some stats in terms of how many have got to this stage. Of course some people won't bother to complete the videos at all if they have found a job elsewhere. I wonder how many are still 'in' at this stage.

How many spaces are there?
Hello everyone:smile:
I just noticed that I am no longer able to access and view again my recordings. Is that the case for anyone else, or is it some kind of technical issue I am having?
Reply 166
Original post by Emporiky
Hello everyone:smile:
I just noticed that I am no longer able to access and view again my recordings. Is that the case for anyone else, or is it some kind of technical issue I am having?

I tried to at the time because it said you could, but there seemed to be a technical issue.

Now I'm on LaunchPad trying to access it but there doesn't seem to be any way to click on it?
Can we expect an outcome regarding the video interviews by the end of this week?
Original post by Caligari
Can we expect an outcome regarding the video interviews by the end of this week?

I thought they said the 29th right? So I expevt it on that day.
Guys, what does it say as application status? I just realized mine still says 'invited to video interview'.....
Guys, what does it say as application status? I just realized mine still says 'invited to video interview'.....

Mine still says the same! I hadn't logged in since doing the video interview actually, probably a good thing that this made me check it :smile:
Original post by paddy25
Mine still says the same! I hadn't logged in since doing the video interview actually, probably a good thing that this made me check it :smile:

Ah good then :biggrin: After all my technology troubles I am kinda nervous about it. Already sent them a panicked email before you could reply, haha, but I also asked to confirm the date we get results cause my email only said XXXX instead of a date.
I tried to at the time because it said you could, but there seemed to be a technical issue.

Now I'm on LaunchPad trying to access it but there doesn't seem to be any way to click on it?

It is the same for me, so I suppose its normal : )
Reply 173
Ah good then :biggrin: After all my technology troubles I am kinda nervous about it. Already sent them a panicked email before you could reply, haha, but I also asked to confirm the date we get results cause my email only said XXXX instead of a date.

What did they say, 29th? Cause that happened to me too haha
What did they say, 29th? Cause that happened to me too haha

They actually ignored my email haha. But their twitter says 29th. :smile:
Good luck everyone for Monday. Possibly only an assessment centre and final interviews between ourselves and an entry level job. Like being a dog at crufts!
Good luck today guys!!
Reply 177
Good luck everyone!! I've been feeling confident until today and now I'm convinced I'm not through. But I really hope as many people on here as possible do get through, I feel attached to you all now!!!
I don't know what to think. I think I'm good enough for the NGDP based on my degree and work experience. Whether someone watching my recorded answers will feel the same...who knows?
Reply 179
Original post by 3458349058349053
I don't know what to think. I think I'm good enough for the NGDP based on my degree and work experience. Whether someone watching my recorded answers will feel the same...who knows?

Same!! That and the fact that I think there are more people who are good enough than there are posts available :frown::colonhash: welcome to generation Y

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending