The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lks97
should I assume rejection at this point from Nottingham? it's been a very long time..

me too...
Original post by Cholesta
Nottingham is ranked 6th for law and is an excellent university. I don't think Bristol rates the LNAT as highly as Notts do. I went with my son to see Notts on 17th of this month and it poured with rain. He's still deciding but he knows it's one of the best for law. Feel proud of yourself for getting a Notts offer as law is such a competitive course there. So many people were rejected with low LNAT scores. Well done!!

Thank you :smile: im actually quite pleased with Nottingham and am looking forward to firming it
Original post by crocface
They seem to be rejecting a lot of people with high lnat and AAA predictions. I have the feeling that they have so many people with higher than AAA predictions that AAA is now the new cutoff for remaining offers.

That seems likely :/
Original post by jonstran
Something cocked up. My last response was directed to you.

Thanks for the perspective and insight!

As far as King's, their programme is the best I've seen around - it's got lots of modules and thus flexibility. The location (from pictures/videos I've seen) seems amazing with London having both cultural and modern aspects that I'd enjoy. I've lived in big cities my whole life so I thought London was ideal. So in terms of this, I've wanted both King's and Law - not that I'd go for Geography or English just to attend the uni. I really don't know otherwise why I was so sold on King's anyway.

As an international, it's difficult to decide if I don't visit - not sure if that will be possible, so it's still somewhat of a gamble. I will probably just go to one of the two if adjustment doesn't happen.

Right now I'm leaning towards Bristol - I like the city feel, not an enclosed campus.
How much better is Nottingham regarded?
Original post by dfradkin
Thanks for the perspective and insight!

As far as King's, their programme is the best I've seen around - it's got lots of modules and thus flexibility. The location (from pictures/videos I've seen) seems amazing with London having both cultural and modern aspects that I'd enjoy. I've lived in big cities my whole life so I thought London was ideal. So in terms of this, I've wanted both King's and Law - not that I'd go for Geography or English just to attend the uni. I really don't know otherwise why I was so sold on King's anyway.

As an international, it's difficult to decide if I don't visit - not sure if that will be possible, so it's still somewhat of a gamble. I will probably just go to one of the two if adjustment doesn't happen.

Right now I'm leaning towards Bristol - I like the city feel, not an enclosed campus.
How much better is Nottingham regarded?

Nottingham has a geat programme too from what I can make out. You have the same choice as the others to convert to a 4 year with allocations to any number of universities all over the world (more so than the others, and really, do you actually see yourself at the likes of Columbia in the US? Do you want to be a great lawyer or someone who went to x, y, z blah blah?). They also appear to have an outstanding, world-leading research department that isn't a whole lot of mind-numbing dross that the like of LSE appear to churn out ad nauseum. Also: a Russell Group university and, more significantly, ranks higher than both Kings and the others consistently; varyingly: 4th or 6th best in the country. Those are serious rankings and they turn up consistently.

I get why you're upset because you had your heart set on Kings but Nottingham has the same standard, if not higher (and seems to be objectively considered higher). Like I say, those are serious rankings and but for the fact the others are in London, I can't genuinely see much difference between them.

And yeah, sure, London is wonderful and exciting and all that. But I've lived here all my life and I can tell you that unless you have a lot of money, even as a student, it's tough going and always inevitably draining. As for all this gumph, you get 'better job prospects' etc., I just don't buy that. There's no real advantage to being any closer to these big firms. I've known plenty of people that work for them and I've never once known of someone having got their job because of where they went but I do know they got them because they were high achieving, smart, and are good at the law. It might seem like it to you but you can trust me when I tell you that as important as this might seem to you and everyone else now, it really isn't.

I would think long and hard about turning down this university, truly. Certainly, I would not take a year out just to chance trying to get in somewhere that could just turn you down again. What matters is not the disappointment and trying to alleviate it but how you turn it to your advantage. If I as you, I'd take it, make the most of it, and I promise you, in years to come, you'll actually be very glad Kings turned you down. I genuinely see no discernible difference between them other than one is in London and the other one is more highly ranked overall.
Nottingham has a geat programme too from what I can make out. You have the same choice as the others to convert to a 4 year with allocations to any number of universities all over the world (more so than the others, and really, do you actually see yourself at the likes of Columbia in the US? Do you want to be a great lawyer or someone who went to x, y, z blah blah?). They also appear to have an outstanding, world-leading research department that isn't a whole lot of mind-numbing dross that the like of LSE appear to churn out ad nauseum. Also: a Russell Group university and, more significantly, ranks higher than both Kings and the others consistently; varyingly: 4th or 6th best in the country. Those are serious rankings and they turn up consistently.

I get why you're upset because you had your heart set on Kings but Nottingham has the same standard, if not higher (and seems to be objectively considered higher). Like I say, those are serious rankings and but for the fact the others are in London, I can't genuinely see much difference between them.

And yeah, sure, London is wonderful and exciting and all that. But I've lived here all my life and I can tell you that unless you have a lot of money, even as a student, it's tough going and always inevitably draining. As for all this gumph, you get 'better job prospects' etc., I just don't buy that. There's no real advantage to being any closer to these big firms. I've known plenty of people that work for them and I've never once known of someone having got their job because of where they went but I do know they got them because they were high achieving, smart, and are good at the law. It might seem like it to you but you can trust me when I tell you that as important as this might seem to you and everyone else now, it really isn't.

I would think long and hard about turning down this university, truly. Certainly, I would not take a year out just to chance trying to get in somewhere that could just turn you down again. What matters is not the disappointment and trying to alleviate it but how you turn it to your advantage. If I as you, I'd take it, make the most of it, and I promise you, in years to come, you'll actually be very glad Kings turned you down. I genuinely see no discernible difference between them other than one is in London and the other one is more highly ranked overall.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply. Maybe I'm delusional about the whole thing - I will ask around but definitely keep in mind what you said. It's a bit clearer now .
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply. Maybe I'm delusional about the whole thing - I will ask around but definitely keep in mind what you said. It's a bit clearer now .

No problem. In terms of social life differences, too, I feel it important to point out there's a high likelihood (hopefully) of there being more Northerners at Nottingham and that's certainly a bonus. There's an odd phenonemenon in the UK of London getting all the glory for some odd reason when the reality is, London rests on its reputation constantly; both culturally and socially. But like I said, the North is awesome and mainly because it is populated by Northeners and when it comes to deciding between them, it's North > South every time. That's likely to start a whole lot of kicking off and invariable descent into bitter warfare on what sort of potato should be added to a Sunday roast but it's a fact. You will have a better, more vibrant, more genuinely fun time at a Northern university than anywhere else in the UK. Something else to give a lot of thought to, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
No problem. In terms of social life differences, too, I feel it important to point out there's a high likelihood (hopefully) of there being more Northerners at Nottingham and that's certainly a bonus. There's an odd phenonemenon in the UK of London getting all the glory for some odd reason when the reality is, London rests on its reputation constantly; both culturally and socially. But like I said, the North is awesome and mainly because it is populated by Northeners and when it comes to deciding between them, it's North > South every time. That's likely to start a whole lot of kicking off and invariable descent into bitter warfare on what sort of potato should be added to a Sunday roast but it's a fact. You will have a better, more vibrant, more genuinely fun time at a Northern university than anywhere else in the UK. Something else to give a lot of thought to, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hmm, really? Never thought about that. Thanks for the help
Hmm, really? Never thought about that. Thanks for the help

Yeah, definitely. The North generally is considered edgier and in my experience, I've always had a better time when I go up which I put down to the fact they feel in some sort of complicit rivalry with the South. Bristol is Southern, too, so you'll get a lot more snobbery, rich kids, all that crap. Same with the likes of Kings. I'm almost positive the whole of the first year is going to be one massive pile of interminable nonsense about how marvellous they are for having got in.

Means nothing. When it comes to the law, you are as good as you are. You're upset you didn't get into Kings but you actually got accepted to an even more highly rated university that's part of the same group, has the same admissions criteria, and the same very high standards for those admissions. Nothing to be upset about here at all. The only reason I want to go to UCL is because they've got terrific extracurricular stuff and offer a very high degree of teaching; I couldn't give a toss about their reputation and all this 'prestige' nonsense.

And again, I really can not emphasise this for you enough: no one ever, in all my lifetime living in London, goes around saying "oh I got my job because of my x, y, z university". They don't care. I know partners at Herbert Smith, Allen & Overy etc., and I've never heard them talk like that. It's extremely infradig to drop your university name here. If I was a London employer and you turned up and said "I've got a first class degree from Nottingham, I come from this x, y, z, overseas place, and I've had the fortune to be able to see a whole range of life in the UK and I feel I can bring this experience as a benefit to your clients, etc., etc.," I would give you that job. People are impressed by you as a person, what you do with your life, how you overcome obstacles, and how you make them your strengths. That's what matters. Not saying poxy crap like "oh I went to Kings". Big deal.

I'll leave it there. Don't turn them down, that's basically my last word on the matter. Forget Bristol.
Yeah, definitely. The North generally is considered edgier and in my experience, I've always had a better time when I go up which I put down to the fact they feel in some sort of complicit rivalry with the South. Bristol is Southern, too, so you'll get a lot more snobbery, rich kids, all that crap. Same with the likes of Kings. I'm almost positive the whole of the first year is going to be one massive pile of interminable nonsense about how marvellous they are for having got in.

Means nothing. When it comes to the law, you are as good as you are. You're upset you didn't get into Kings but you actually got accepted to an even more highly rated university that's part of the same group, has the same admissions criteria, and the same very high standards for those admissions. Nothing to be upset about here at all. The only reason I want to go to UCL is because they've got terrific extracurricular stuff and offer a very high degree of teaching; I couldn't give a toss about their reputation and all this 'prestige' nonsense.

And again, I really can not emphasise this for you enough: no one ever, in all my lifetime living in London, goes around saying "oh I got my job because of my x, y, z university". They don't care. I know partners at Herbert Smith, Allen & Overy etc., and I've never heard them talk like that. It's extremely infradig to drop your university name here. If I was a London employer and you turned up and said "I've got a first class degree from Nottingham, I come from this x, y, z, overseas place, and I've had the fortune to be able to see a whole range of life in the UK and I feel I can bring this experience as a benefit to your clients, etc., etc.," I would give you that job. People are impressed by you as a person, what you do with your life, how you overcome obstacles, and how you make them your strengths. That's what matters. Not saying poxy crap like "oh I went to Kings". Big deal.

I'll leave it there. Don't turn them down, that's basically my last word on the matter. Forget Bristol.

Okay then, I see your stance. FYI I wanted to go to King's not for employment prospects that people think it will bring, of course it's nonsense when comparing the two; it was just a personal thing. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to give me some great advice .
Original post by crocface
As far as I'm aware the only law option with French at Oxford is "Law with French Law M191" It appears to be the study of French law in the 3rd year but you spend periods of the first 2 years getting your French language up to speed if you are not already competent. It is not a language based course it is a law course.

Apologies, it's been so long since I applied! Looking back the problem was that it didn't offer the opportunity to do the Maitrise en droit like both KCL and Exeter. Apologies for the confusion!
Bristol or nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cholesta
May I ask why you were miserable at Bristol?

The reason(s) I hated Bristol was(were) personal.
Practically all of the people I met at Bristol loved it, but for me there was just something about the atmosphere/vibes that didn't work. I think it's because I went to a private secondary school in West London and Bristol has one of the highest percentages in the country of private school students in its intake; I also found that there were so many Londoners there, especially West Londoners. It felt like a continuation of my secondary school experience which was the opposite of what I wanted at university. I also really didn't like my course, and kept meeting other people whose courses seemed much more appealing to me than my own. Finally, I was stuck in a halls I hated because I could only apply for accommdation after results day, which was the last straw. I dropped out because the stress of hating everything about my uni situation was making me ill.
I probably would have reapplied to Bristol this time round if they offered Law with Spanish. I would say the biggest problem for me was the course, because an enjoyable course would have kept me afloat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tamsinb123
The reason(s) I hated Bristol was(were) personal.
Practically all of the people I met at Bristol loved it, but for me there was just something about the atmosphere/vibes that didn't work. I think it's because I went to a private secondary school in West London and Bristol has one of the highest percentages in the country of private school students in its intake; I also found that there were so many Londoners there, especially West Londoners. It felt like a continuation of my secondary school experience which was the opposite of what I wanted at university. I also really didn't like my course, and kept meeting other people whose courses seemed much more appealing to me than my own. Finally, I was stuck in a halls I hated because I could only apply for accommdation after results day, which was the last straw. I dropped out because the stress of hating everything about my uni situation was making me ill.
I probably would have reapplied to Bristol this time round if they offered Law with Spanish. I would say the biggest problem for me was the course, because an enjoyable course would have kept me afloat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and I hope you are happier this time round.
ADVICE NEEDED.

Unconditional - Aberdeen for Scots Law
Conditional - Strathclyde for Scots Law. I need to get AB in anything I am sitting this year (Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher History, Higher Modern Studies, Higher Administration & IT.)

Which would be better?
Original post by fabruttledge
Must say this is a convincing theory ... I'm 'R' and still waiting also

I'm Z and I received an offer. How are you guys doing now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by catherinecain
ADVICE NEEDED.

Unconditional - Aberdeen for Scots Law
Conditional - Strathclyde for Scots Law. I need to get AB in anything I am sitting this year (Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher History, Higher Modern Studies, Higher Administration & IT.)

Which would be better?

Better in terms of what? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jra97
Nottingham or Bristol?

Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=dfradkin;63051817]Hey, thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply. Maybe I'm delusional about the whole thing - I will ask around but definitely keep in mind what you said. It's a bit clearer now .
Hey bro I'm international as well and I had my heart set on kings it just captivated me for law. However I was rejected( low Lnat) but fortunately I have offers from Bristol and Warwick as my other top options . Though I was sad before , I'm actually more optimistic now and realize that these unis are just as good . As long as we work hard in the future I think all will be fine! Good luck with Bristol or notts whatever you chose! I still can't decide my firm between Bristol or Warwick any advise ?
Original post by ArsalanBac
I still can't decide my firm between Bristol or Warwick any advice ?

Reasons to pick Bristol as your Firm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

Latest

Trending

Trending