The Student Room Group

should I have emailed him about perm job?

I had a temp job a few months ago but it ended. A perm job in the same role has just come up at the same company. It's a big, well known company so has an online application process etc.

I emailed my old manager on Wednesday saying I'd like to apply through HR but thought I should tell her I was so she didn't get too much of a shock.

She didn't reply. Should I even bother applying- surely if they'd consider me she would have replied saying she'd support my application etc? Or is it not done to track down her email address as an old temp? :smile:
How did you do in the temp job? Did you talk about the posibility of joining full time while you were there / when you were leaving?

If you've emailed the kind of person who is always busy then its not really surprising that they haven't emailed you back since you haven't really asked them for anything, you've just informed them your going to be applying, and as you've said, at a big company with an online application process, there's probably nothing they had to say about it other than 'okay'. Alot of people wont actually bother emailing you back just to say that they will support your application and all the stuff you were thinking, unless you actually ASK them to?

I dont know your old manager, but if i emailed someone about an application and they didn't reply, i would feel abit weird, but then, i'm the type of person that would actually ask straight up if they would support my application and if they could help me get the roll, which is why i originally asked how your temp time went, would this manager likely want to support your application?
When a job is advertised the recruitment process has to be fair and all candidates treated the same.

It may be that your boss is not part of the recruitment process but even if they are, having a systematic recruitment process where all candidates are treated the same is likely to be very important to the company, as well as the appearance that all candidates are treated the same.

So I hope you can now see why your boss hasn't responded to your email.

Good luck in getting the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's a big deal. She may just be busy and really what you have said is 'here's a heads up' not 'will you support my application' so you don't necessarily need a reply. Apply anyway and just see how it goes, if you didn't have any major issues with the boss when you were there there shouldn't be any problems.
Reply 4
Yeah she still hasn't replied and she's not the kind of person hectically busy with email I don't think. Oh well will just apply but feel a bit deflated- pretty sure I'm setting myself up for a "you were unsuccessful this time" email from HR :smile:
Original post by mulberry1
Yeah she still hasn't replied and she's not the kind of person hectically busy with email I don't think. Oh well will just apply but feel a bit deflated- pretty sure I'm setting myself up for a "you were unsuccessful this time" email from HR :smile:

Could she be out of the office- especially if she's ill, she might not have an out of office message on? If you didn't actually ask a specific question, maybe she just took it as a heads up, and didn't think you needed a reply?

Alternatively, she could be talking to HR and asking if you can bypass the usual application!

I would definitely apply anyway, assuming you didn't leave on really bad terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending