The Student Room Group

How to tell boss I want to leave

Hi, I want to leave my job because I am being overworked and underpaid, though I stuck with it for a year. I work at as a assistant tutor and he is going to give me more shifts, but I have been offered a job by a friend.
I want to take it, but I don't know how to say it to my boss without being rude. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks
Send an email or text if you're uncomfortable with telling them in person
Reply 2
Original post by therealbeckstar
Send an email or text if you're uncomfortable with telling them in person

I feel like that wouldn't be right as they put in my contract that I need to give a months notice before leaving :frown:. I dont want to be in an awkward situation after that as there is only three of us working there.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I want to leave my job because I am being overworked and underpaid, though I stuck with it for a year. I work at as a assistant tutor and he is going to give me more shifts, but I have been offered a job by a friend.
I want to take it, but I don't know how to say it to my boss without being rude. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Just give in your notice? Ask your manager if you can schedule a one to one meeting and briefly explain that you’ve been offered a position somewhere else and will be handing in your notice, you don’t need to tell him you’re being overworked and underpaid if you don’t want to. And then ideally you should send him or the relevant person the notice email detailing your last day or employment and how you’re grateful to the company yadda yadda. Usually it’s best to try and not alienate your boss/line manager when leaving because you might need references from them for other jobs.
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Just give in your notice? Ask your manager if you can schedule a one to one meeting and briefly explain that you’ve been offered a position somewhere else and will be handing in your notice, you don’t need to tell him you’re being overworked and underpaid if you don’t want to. And then ideally you should send him or the relevant person the notice email detailing your last day or employment and how you’re grateful to the company yadda yadda. Usually it’s best to try and not alienate your boss/line manager when leaving because you might need references from them for other jobs.

yeah it is quite a small company so I think this might be the best way. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Tell them you’re resigning, ask if your notice can be shortened. Should be fine, if not work what you agreed at the outset. It’s best to do as you would be done by, unless you feel you’ve been treated badly
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like that wouldn't be right as they put in my contract that I need to give a months notice before leaving :frown:. I dont want to be in an awkward situation after that as there is only three of us working there.

i would give them the notice that you're leaving and if possible, not tell them that you have a better job offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending