The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry People!

Scroll to see replies

I feel you :biggrin: I find organic chemistry more interesting, content wise, and I think I finally have my head around mechanisms...but they're a pain to learn! The mathsy side like equilibria and enthalpy isn't too bad actually because I've always been pretty good at the calculations side of things.

I'm very bad at chemistry, but I am really enjoying it this year...and that's got to count for something :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Don't know about you guys but I'm loving A2 Chemistry :u:

Good teaching then I assume? :biggrin: I'll probably try a whole unit 4 paper soon and see how I get on. First, I'll need to work on my structure determination and repeating units.
Original post by Manexopi
Good teaching then I assume? :biggrin: I'll probably try a whole unit 4 paper soon and see how I get on. First, I'll need to work on my structure determination and repeating units.

Yep I have good teachers, also really loooove the subject. I'll try one too right after I finish the last topic which should be this week :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Amellia123
Haha ikr that's why my teach said :lol: but apparently it was the 'molecular' formula
That's a good idea actually - tackling unit 5 when you've aced unit 4 will make revision for the real thing a lot easier :smile:
Same, amino acids, polymers and NMR are so boring, to help you I recommend this site (it does OCR and AQA)
http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

And with bases/bufferes all I can suggest is revise from past paper questions to cover ever style of question.

If there are any questions you would like help with I would be more than willing to help you. Feel free to post them on here or PM/VM me :smile:

They are really boring aren't they. I used to hate aromatic and amines though and now I don't mind amines and love aromatic. Do you know what kind of aromatic compounds we need to be able to name? Like how complex. The spec doesn't mention anything about nomenclature but it still comes up occasionally -__-
Good thing about acids and bases calculations is even if you stuff u you can still get a good deal of the marks so I'll just wing it I guess xD
I posted a question earlier actually. Question 2c on this paper .
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
I used the same method for both questions but got this one wrong. Still got 3/4 marks though so its not too bad :biggrin:
Reply 24
Yep I have good teachers, also really loooove the subject. I'll try one too right after I finish the last topic which should be this week :smile:

You don't understand how jealous of you I am rn xD And those grade boundaries don't calm me down one bit. I really need to bang out that chemistry revision but motivation is a problem. I'm thinking of just staying behind after school to force myself to work.
They are really boring aren't they. I used to hate aromatic and amines though and now I don't mind amines and love aromatic. Do you know what kind of aromatic compounds we need to be able to name? Like how complex. The spec doesn't mention anything about nomenclature but it still comes up occasionally -__-
Good thing about acids and bases calculations is even if you stuff u you can still get a good deal of the marks so I'll just wing it I guess xD
I posted a question earlier actually. Question 2c on this paper .
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
I used the same method for both questions but got this one wrong. Still got 3/4 marks though so its not too bad :biggrin:

I don't mind some aromatic - but the amines can be very boring. If you are doing AQA then its any compounds that can be made by electrophilic addition with benzene (or in some cases nucleophiles) the Kekule structure, phenols, Friedel-Crafts Acylation (I don't know if that's amines or not)

Haha yeah same, I hate the questions with pKa in though - theyre horrid!
And okay,i shall see if I can solve :smile:

For 2c part I), I got that Ka= H+, leading to pH=pka, therefore pH= -log(Ka), so pH =4.76?
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't understand how jealous of you I am rn xD And those grade boundaries don't calm me down one bit. I really need to bang out that chemistry revision but motivation is a problem. I'm thinking of just staying behind after school to force myself to work.

That's a good idea, I was going to go for a chem paper every morning/ a few questions on the bus before school but I can't even wake up early enough lol. Yeah those grade boundaries don't look great. Must admit though after doing the chem olympiad, A2 is a breeze.
Reply 27
eh unit 4 is fine; unit 5 is stupid

I don't like all that inorganic stuff,

All the reaction mechanisms are fine
-Nucleophilic Sub
-Nucleophilic Add
-Nucleophilic Add-Elim
-Elimination
-Electrophilic Addition
-Electrophilic Substitution
Reply 28
CHEM 4 - NMR questions are the bane of my existance ....

I hate those questions that get you to draw the struture of someting with "three peaks", i just cant do them!

-----------------------------

Anyone else started chem 4 past papers and revision? I have started but I am getting 65% ish every time, which is marking by june 2015 is a C ... I need an A!
That's a good idea, I was going to go for a chem paper every morning/ a few questions on the bus before school but I can't even wake up early enough lol. Yeah those grade boundaries don't look great. Must admit though after doing the chem olympiad, A2 is a breeze.

You're doing Chem at uni too I take it? I love Chemistry. :colone: I'm planning on doing all the olympiad papers over the summer holiday!
Reply 30
I don't mind some aromatic - but the amines can be very boring. If you are doing AQA then its any compounds that can be made by electrophilic addition with benzene (or in some cases nucleophiles) the Kekule structure, phenols, Friedel-Crafts Acylation (I don't know if that's amines or not)

Haha yeah same, I hate the questions with pKa in though - theyre horrid!
And okay,i shall see if I can solve :smile:

Yup, I'm doing AQA :biggrin: Our teacher didn't really differentiate between some of the topics and so I can't tell the difference between them D: I'm so confused whether you're talking about amines or aromatic or the two haha :colondollar:
Oh yeah pKa is a pain and it doesn't come up often enough where you remember it and start to look out for it!

A whole chem paper before school is complete madness! Our school used to do that stuff but don't seem to anymore by the looks of it. I make way too many stupid mistakes in chemistry like writing addition instead of substitution etc.
Reply 31
Original post by harmer1998
CHEM 4 - NMR questions are the bane of my existance ....

I hate those questions that get you to draw the struture of someting with "three peaks", i just cant do them!

-----------------------------

Anyone else started chem 4 past papers and revision? I have started but I am getting 65% ish every time, which is marking by june 2015 is a C ... I need an A!

Yeah **** Nmr. I can't do the interpreting spectra ones. I can do it when they give it in words but I can't seem to use the data sheet apparently :colonhash:

I'm not going to start until I've revised everything. I need an A too :frown:
Yup, I'm doing AQA :biggrin: Our teacher didn't really differentiate between some of the topics and so I can't tell the difference between them D: I'm so confused whether you're talking about amines or aromatic or the two haha :colondollar:
Oh yeah pKa is a pain and it doesn't come up often enough where you remember it and start to look out for it!.

Haha oops sorry :colondollar: as far as I'm aware, animes do come up in aromatic chemistry (like phenylamines?)
I recommend learning everything about benzene word for word that's on the spec - examiners love this. Also nucleophilic addition-elimination is on the paper every year.
If you get an equation where you know H+ and Ka (with out having an OH- value)then you can use pKa like in question 2c you mentioned
Reply 33
Confident with Unit 4. Unit 5 on the other hand is ripping me a new butthole. :redface:

I'm doing Edexcel International A-levels by the way!
Original post by High Stakes
You're doing Chem at uni too I take it? I love Chemistry. :colone: I'm planning on doing all the olympiad papers over the summer holiday!

Nope unfortunately not Chemistry, I really do love the subject but I don't think I'd like the job (e.g. in industry) if you get what I mean. Yeah me too actually I haven't had time to try all of them because of mocks in December/January :smile:
Where have you applied for Chem? I'm applying for Medicine btw (and still waiting for any offers :redface: )
I'm with Edexcel (thank God) and unit 4 is going well, been getting As in all the past papers I've done so far - gotta crack on with unit 5 though...we're on transition metals so the fun has just started... xD
Reply 36
Haha oops sorry :colondollar: as far as I'm aware, animes do come up in aromatic chemistry (like phenylamines?)
I recommend learning everything about benzene word for word that's on the spec - examiners love this. Also nucleophilic addition-elimination is on the paper every year.
If you get an equation where you know H+ and Ka (with out having an OH- value)then you can use pKa like in question 2c you mentioned

Yeah they do. Reduction of nitrobenzene to phenylamine right? Ugh I'm going to need to look over Pka then because I don't really get it. I have a killer headache rn though so no revision for me even though I have a bio tst tomorrow :biggrin:
Nope unfortunately not Chemistry, I really do love the subject but I don't think I'd like the job (e.g. in industry) if you get what I mean. Yeah me too actually I haven't had time to try all of them because of mocks in December/January :smile:
Where have you applied for Chem? I'm applying for Medicine btw (and still waiting for any offers :redface: )

Ah cool. Well I'm probably not going to work in industry. I just love the subject, so while I'll be studying for my degree I'm going to be building the projects (app and website developments) I had in mind whilst also trying to startup a business of my own. After, I'll probably either go into further study OR continue working as an entrepreneur or work in finance/consultancy/law.

Warwick, Imperial, Birmingham!
Yeah they do. Reduction of nitrobenzene to phenylamine right? Ugh I'm going to need to look over Pka then because I don't really get it. I have a killer headache rn though so no revision for me even though I have a bio tst tomorrow :biggrin:

Yep I think that's it! :smile: Neither do I tbh - ill have to blag my way through the exam :tongue:

I hope you feel better soon, and good luck! :smile:
Original post by High Stakes
Ah cool. Well I'm probably not going to work in industry. I just love the subject, so while I'll be studying for my degree I'm going to be building the projects (app and website developments) I had in mind whilst also trying to startup a business of my own. After, I'll probably either go into further study OR continue working as an entrepreneur or work in finance/consultancy/law.

Warwick, Imperial, Birmingham!

That sounds great! Congrats on your offers! :smile: What's your first choice?
Btw have you started past papers yet? (I know it's slightly early bcs you probably haven't finished all the topics at school yet)

Quick Reply

Latest