The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJaneH
Just firmed Nottingham with Exeter as insurance! :smile: Declined KCL and Leeds

@CJaneH Congrats, having that decision behind you must be a huge stress out of your life! Out of interest, what pushed Exeter over King's as your insurance? I have offers from UCL, King's, and Exeter and so I'll have to make a similar decision right away, any insight appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kamicosbyy
@CJaneH Congrats, having that decision behind you must be a huge stress out of your life! Out of interest, what pushed Exeter over King's as your insurance? I have offers from UCL, King's, and Exeter and so I'll have to make a similar decision right away, any insight appreciated!

It will be the grades, I have offers from Exeter (AAA) and kings (A*AA), there'd be no point putting kings as insurance because the grades will either be the same or higher as his firm, Nottingham.
Still havent heard from Glasgow or Edinburgh :frown: antone been in contact with them or got any news?
Original post by kamicosbyy

Thanks! Yes it's been difficult to decide, but it was the grades that determined it really. Notts was AAA, Exeter was AAB but Kings was A*AA, so for my first choice I chose Nottingham simply because of ease and lower cost of living than KCL, as I think they're pretty similar in terms of everything else. Exeter as insurance just because it's given me a bit more leeway with grades. :smile: Looking at the offers you've got, I would definitely choose one of the London ones if you're confident you can get the grades because I think they have more prestige with employers than Exeter. However I think Exeter has a really good 'uni life' and is still a really good university . Good luck!
Reply 3144
Original post by garylamb2016
Still havent heard from Glasgow or Edinburgh :frown: antone been in contact with them or got any news?

Got an offer from Edinburgh a bit over a month ago, and I applied in mid-nov :smile:

Has anyone heard back from LSE?? As I said above, I applied in mid-nov, and have not heard back in too long
Reply 3145
Original post by Anuta
Țhank you for the kind words. I scored 30 on the LNAT, but I am an international applicant, so I'm not sure if that's enough. Fingers crossed, and thank you once more.

Don't worry too much. I'm also an international, I scored only 27 on the LNAT, and I've got an offer from Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3146
Original post by JohnGreek
Quite a few people, including me, heard back in late January/ early February. If you look back a few pages in this thread, you should be able to find people saying that they got offers :smile:

Thanks! :smile: When did you apply?
Reply 3147
Original post by tlaw97
Offer from LSE as well :biggrin:
Also from Queen Mary and KCL despite my 24 in LNAT

Rejected from UCL and Cambridge though, but LSE is firm and Queen Mary is insurance :smile:

When did you apply?
I applied to Nottingham, Reading, Leicester, Manchester and Liverpool. I've gotten an offer from reading and Leicester . I'm really excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just returned yesterday from giving UGAA est at LSE for LLB Law 2016. Messed up in the maths section (25%) but believe I've done well in the writing section. Fingers crossed, though I have started to loose faith in this as well.

Applied/have an offer from both NCH London and ULaw as an insurance but rejects from UCL, Kings and QMUL due to bad LNAT score (15).
Just returned yesterday from giving UGAA est at LSE for LLB Law 2016. Messed up in the maths section (C 25%) but believe I've done well in the writing section (A25+B50%). Fingers crossed, though I have started to loose faith in this/chances looks slim. Applied/have an offer from both NCH London and ULaw as an insurance but rejects from UCL, Kings and QMUL due to bad LNAT score (15).If all fails, will resume full-time work and embark on a part-time OU Law degree or ULaw degree part-time.The other option is that an American university (Yale University Law school) offered a place to do JD (equivalent to LLB) on 75% reduction of tuition fee waiver as, unlike UK unis, have recognised my previous overseas non-accredited degree. (The upside of UK not recognising my previous unaccredited overseas degree is that it makes me eligible for UK student loans and support, but thats another matter). The downside is that I would have to negotiate with my family to sacrifice spending time aborad and it would just increase another year for me to later to do a transfer test (QLTS) or GDL to qualiy as a UK solicitor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UKStudent2016
. The upside of UK not recognising my previous unaccredited overseas degree is that it makes me eligible for UK student loans and support, but thats another matter.

How did you figure this out?
Where was your first degree from/why isn't it recognised?

PS Yale really does sound like a winner here. Seriously. Yale is globally known, and you may not even want to come back with the opportunities afforded you. You'll be attractive to US and UK firms, and you'll likely earn more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Assan
How did you figure this out?
Where was your first degree from/why isn't it recognised?

PS Yale really does sound like a winner here. Seriously. Yale is globally known, and you may not even want to come back with the opportunities afforded you. You'll be attractive to US and UK firms, and you'll likely earn more.

From *India
In India, not all unis are recognised to the same level as unis in the west. Unis did their own check following UCAS applications as I didn't have UK's recently completed A levels etc. Had I recently completed A level, it would have been straightforward.

Yale sounds a great option which I applied on the recommendation of a relative but as mature student married with a family in UK, its proving to be challenging to convince my family and my kids to relocate to US. (I'm in my thirties).
Thirdly, Having a US' JD degree does not automatically qualify for LPC to practice in UK unless one does or sits in QLTS or GDL again, as thats what I have been told, hence 1 extra year again with further cost. Had I been in my early 20s, things may have been different when one has more time on hand. Sadly, an extra year counts a lot for me.
Original post by UKStudent2016
From *India
In India, not all unis are recognised to the same level as unis in the west. Unis did their own check following UCAS applications as I didn't have UK's recently completed A levels etc. Had I recently completed A level, it would have been straightforward.

Yale sounds a great option which I applied on the recommendation of a relative but as mature student married with a family in UK, its proving to be challenging to convince my family and my kids to relocate to US. (I'm in my thirties).
Thirdly, Having a US' JD degree does not automatically qualify for LPC to practice in UK unless one does or sits in QLTS or GDL again, as thats what I have been told, hence 1 extra year again with further cost. Had I been in my early 20s, things may have been different when one has more time on hand. Sadly, an extra year counts a lot for me.

I'm approaching 30 myself. Still, seems better to do it right. Seriously, find a way. Your family will thank you later

How did you find out about your overseas degree vis-a-vis eligibility for UK loans?
Original post by Assan
I'm approaching 30 myself. Still, seems better to do it right. Seriously, find a way. Your family will thank you later

How did you find out about your overseas degree vis-a-vis eligibility for UK loans?

Thanks.
Found out about student eligibility from UCAS website and UK Student finance website so as long as my previous overseas degree isn't recognised by unis on my UCAS application, I would be treated as a non-degree holder.

I would still consider Yale Law School but it would prove challenging, not least I would still have to make up a minor fee difference of 25% which is not met by their tuition fee waiver, but as a last resort, if all fails, who knows. My relatives in the US are keen to have me but its up to them to convince my family to make a big move.
ULaw and NCH are also considering to offer me a scholarship to cover the costs that may not be covered by student finance but a bit weary of their reputation....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tamsinb123
Snap! You're the only other Law with Spanish person I've seen on this thread! Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really see the point in E-mailing them because I doubt they'd tell us much. I'm just planning on waiting it out... Qué será, será.

I refuse to give up hope. So I am choosing to ignore what the fact that accommodation applications have opened may suggest with regard to the outcome of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied as following:Law with European Studies: Exeter
Law with Hispanic Studies: UCL
Law: King's and Bristol
...and obviously Nottingham.
So far, I got rejected from King's and UCL because I wasn't predicted an A* by any of my teachers...and got an offer from Exeter.
What about you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by andrad
I applied as following:Law with European Studies: Exeter
Law with Hispanic Studies: UCL
Law: King's and Bristol
...and obviously Nottingham.
So far, I got rejected from King's and UCL because I wasn't predicted an A* by any of my teachers...and got an offer from Exeter.
What about you?

I also have an offer from Exeter for Law with European Study!

The other places I applied to are Warwick (Law with Humanities - got an offer from them too!), Glasgow (Law with Spanish), SOAS (just Law) and Nottingham. I knew that Glasgow and Nottingham were long shots (I'm applying post A-level with 2A*s and a C) so I'm not that bothered about them I guess. I'd be more than happy to go to Warwick or Exeter, so it's really no big deal if the others reject me.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone still waiting for PPL at King's or have most offers been given out? I'm still waiting..
Original post by Jakejoyce97
That makes 3 of us applying for law with spanish, and 3 of us who have yet to receive an offer!
I actually did email them two weeks ago and in short, they said to wait.

Good luck guys!

¡Igualmente! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got an Unconditional to read Law at LSE!

Latest

Trending

Trending