The Student Room Group

Trump pushes for 'safe zone' in Syria, criticises European refugee policy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Can'tStumpTrump
Why should the West have to solve all the World's problems when the rich Arab countries won't even help ?

Is that not true ?

Why? Because the Western nations are naturally predisposed to better conditions. We live in a more temperate climate, civilisation has developed itself better in the west with greater social equality, jobs, education, etc. We live like kings compared to some people on this planet, we live for several decades more than some people on this planet, we have guaranteed healthcare, relative freedom from terrorism, corruption, we have strong, sustainable families and almost infinite opportunities.

We should help the desperate when we have the chance. It's purely random whether or not we are born in the Middle East, Africa or in the UK. No one chose us each individually to be in one place, it is entirely random. So we must be able to sympathise with people who are worse off than us simply by circumstance.

And the rich Arab countries aren't helping, so the refugees are coming to us. We need to make them do more, yes, but in terms of accepting several hundred thousand refugees, that is a tiny toll on our lives compared to some people around the world. We live in so much better security compared to those affected by the Syrian Civil War crisis, and why would we deny other humans help? Because 0.0001% of them initiate sexual assaults? Well guess what, there are more sexual assaults and attacks initiated by natives each year than there are by immigrants. Why else not? Because of the vague threat that some of them want to kill us? You don't understand, the terrorists in ISIS WANT US TO REJECT the refugees, they would declare victory if we said "no more refugees because too high terror risk", thereby responding with your stupid isolationist propaganda is playing right into their hands. We can take thousands of people and still live in an unaffected lifestyle. The vast majority of us will not be affected by the immigrants, it's just a shame that the actions of the 0.00001% seem to control our influence over the 99.9999%
Original post by MildredMalone
I wondered how long before a "lol derply mail" comment would come alone. FactCheck picked this apart, and shows that 44,710 out of 222,965 in mid 2015 were Syrians - which is approximately 20%.

Those migrants have made people in Germany, Sweden, and Calais live in very bad conditions.

At least they aren't being threatened with death, beheading, etc.

And you ignored my point, the point is that just because they come from somewhere other than Syria it does not make them refugees.
Original post by Alcohonick
Why? Because the Western nations are naturally predisposed to better conditions. We live in a more temperate climate, civilisation has developed itself better in the west with greater social equality, jobs, education, etc. We live like kings compared to some people on this planet, we live for several decades more than some people on this planet, we have guaranteed healthcare, relative freedom from terrorism, corruption, we have strong, sustainable families and almost infinite opportunities.

We should help the desperate when we have the chance. It's purely random whether or not we are born in the Middle East, Africa or in the UK. No one chose us each individually to be in one place, it is entirely random. So we must be able to sympathise with people who are worse off than us simply by circumstance.

And the rich Arab countries aren't helping, so the refugees are coming to us. We need to make them do more, yes, but in terms of accepting several hundred thousand refugees, that is a tiny toll on our lives compared to some people around the world. We live in so much better security compared to those affected by the Syrian Civil War crisis, and why would we deny other humans help? Because 0.0001% of them initiate sexual assaults? Well guess what, there are more sexual assaults and attacks initiated by natives each year than there are by immigrants. Why else not? Because of the vague threat that some of them want to kill us? You don't understand, the terrorists in ISIS WANT US TO REJECT the refugees, they would declare victory if we said "no more refugees because too high terror risk", thereby responding with your stupid isolationist propaganda is playing right into their hands. We can take thousands of people and still live in an unaffected lifestyle. The vast majority of us will not be affected by the immigrants, it's just a shame that the actions of the 0.00001% seem to control our influence over the 99.9999%

tl;dr
tl;dr

I have no reason to take you and your isolationist views seriously, you are clearly a bigoted individual with a dulled down, one-dimensional view of the world and its problems,
At least they aren't being threatened with death, beheading, etc.

Yeah, they're just being assaulted and raped, who cares!

And you ignored my point, the point is that just because they come from somewhere other than Syria it does not make them refugees.

True, but many of them will be opportunistic bandwagon hoppers.
tl;dr

Well that certainly sums up Trump voters.
Yeah, they're just being assaulted and raped, who cares!

True, but many of them will be opportunistic bandwagon hoppers.

Migration of 'opportunistic bandwagon hoppers' has been occurring for centuries. Back in the early-mid 1900s, people from ex-British colonies came here for opportunity, people are doing the same with the rest of Europe. Immigration happens, and its now happening illegally because of a conflict which we refuse to sit down and resolve.
Safe space huh.

Now who's an SJW?
Migration of 'opportunistic bandwagon hoppers' has been occurring for centuries. Back in the early-mid 1900s, people from ex-British colonies came here for opportunity, people are doing the same with the rest of Europe. Immigration happens, and its now happening illegally because of a conflict which we refuse to sit down and resolve.

Luckily, they intergrated fine. Indians, for instance, mostly represent the middle class, enjoy cricket, are never in trouble with the police - they're more British than most chavs! Whereas the current wave of migrants all over Europe represent a threat to our way of live, for the ability for women to walk around without getting raped...
Luckily, they intergrated fine. Indians, for instance, mostly represent the middle class, enjoy cricket, are never in trouble with the police - they're more British than most chavs! Whereas the current wave of migrants all over Europe represent a threat to our way of live, for the ability for women to walk around without getting raped...

Are you kidding? You just neglected decades of racial violence.

They did not 'integrate fine' for many years, yes, they did by the 1960s-70s well, but from 1920-50 there was a vast amount of racial violence against the immigrants. It was only in 1965 that the Race Relations Act was put up.

Enoch Powell's 'rivers of blood' speech, the National Front (basically a 1960s BNP with popularity), riots, killings of black individuals. There is literally so much that it is unreal for you to ignore it.

And several thousand immigrants in the UK will not affect our lives in any way. Immigration has occurred throughout the centuries and no problems to the indigenous people has ever occurred.

And before you bring up the Paris Attacks, it is unfair to alienate 99.999% of a population because 0.0001% of them conspired to kill us in the name of a terrorist organisation. Rejecting the immigrants is exactly what ISIL want.
I have no reason to take you and your isolationist views seriously, you are clearly a bigoted individual with a dulled down, one-dimensional view of the world and its problems,

So because I don't want to allow in millions of Muslim migrants with a vastly different culture than ours, I'm a bigot.

I fully approve the creation of safe spaces in Syria as Cameron and Trump said, but letting in people from all over the world (Syrians are a small minority of the "refugees") is not the solution and fortunately border countries like Macedonia, Hungary are blocking access.
(edited 8 years ago)
So because I don't want to allow in millions of Muslim migrants with a vastly different culture than ours, I'm a bigot.

I fully approve the creation of safe spaces in Syria as Cameron and Trump said, but letting in people from all over the world (Syrians are a small minority of the "refugees":wink: is not the solution and fortunately border countries like Macedonia, Hungary are blocking access.

You're a bigot because you live like a king compared to some people, and realistically accepting a few thousand (not millions) won't affect your lifestyle in the slightest.

You're a victim of right-wing propaganda and scaremongering, immigration has been happening for centuries and it has hardly negatively affected the lifestyles of the indigenous people.

And you're a bigot because when presented with reason you just ignore it, 'tldr', come on, you actively refuse to read anything of length that doesn't align with your beliefs. That's why you're a bigot and people like you are slowing the progress of humanity down.
You're a bigot because you live like a king compared to some people, and realistically accepting a few thousand (not millions) won't affect your lifestyle in the slightest.

In Germany the Muslim population can potentially grow up to 20 000 000 by 2020 thanks to current immigration and family reunification of "refugees", that's effectively destroying a country.

refuse to read anything of length that doesn't align with your beliefs.

I read it now that I had time, and it's not as solid as you think, I repeat what moral duty do European countries have to bring in millions of third world migrants apart from "muh feelings" ?

Also Europol just said there are many terrorists using the refugee crisis to make their way into Europe, I just think this is all madness.
In Germany the Muslim population can potentially grow up to 20 000 000 by 2020 thanks to current immigration and family reunification of "refugees", that's effectively destroying a country.

I read it now that I had time, and it's not as solid as you think, I repeat what moral duty do European countries have to bring in millions of third world migrants ?

Also Europol just said there are many terrorists using the refugee crisis to make their way into Europe, I just think this is all madness.

Everything was answered in my post, we have extremely sophisticated lifestyles and adding a few thousand refugees will not affect us in the slightest, we can actively save thousands of lives without taking a toll on ourselves, the EU-coalition bombing in Syria is causing some of the immigration, and Russian bombing is a problem we have failed to address because we haven't stood up to Putin, that is our fault. The number won't ever reach anything near 20 million, propaganda like that is the product of right-wing scaremongering, and the longer the threat exists, the more motivated our countries become to sort the issue out.

And the terrorist thing makes no argument, we shouldn't ban some 500,000 immigrants because only 100-1,000 of them pose a threat.
(edited 8 years ago)
The number won't ever reach anything near 20 million, propaganda like that is the product of right-wing scaremongering, and the longer the threat exists, the more motivated our countries become to sort the issue out.

That number was said from the President of the Bavarian Association of Municipalities in Germany.

And the terrorist thing makes no argument, we shouldn't ban some 500,000 immigrants because only 100-1,000 of them pose a threat.

It's more like around 5000 according to European officials, but who really knows how many are coming through ? It's a incredible risk we shouldn't be taking.
That number was said from the President of the Bavarian Association of Municipalities in Germany.

It's more like around 5000 according to European officials, but who really knows how many are coming through ? It's a incredible risk we shouldn't be taking.

"On track" which means if conditions remain exactly the same until 2020, by then we will have made progress. World leaders aren't just going to sit by and let this crisis occur, they will do something by then. And for the record he seems to be one of the only people who thinks this will happen.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, sending 500,000 refugees back to Syria because 1% of them cause problems is exactly what ISIS want, that is the purpose of terrorism. We shouldn't discriminate every single immigrant because some of them have ill intent.
Everything was answered in my post, we have extremely sophisticated lifestyles and adding a few thousand refugees will not affect us in the slightest, we can actively save thousands of lives without taking a toll on ourselves, the EU-coalition bombing in Syria is causing some of the immigration, and Russian bombing is a problem we have failed to address because we haven't stood up to Putin, that is our fault. The number won't ever reach anything near 20 million, propaganda like that is the product of right-wing scaremongering, and the longer the threat exists, the more motivated our countries become to sort the issue out.

I agree that in a country like the UK, a few thousand refugees won't put too much strain on our public services. But the issue is there are millions aren't there? Even if each country in western Europe takes a few thousand, that still leaves millions. Do we let them all in? Yes, then it will put a noticeable strain on our public services.

You might be ok with that, but it's disingenuous for people to claim that letting in hundreds of thousands of people over a short period of time will not strain public services. And not forgetting that the said public services are already under strain from lack of funding. To move forward, we must acknowledge there is an issue, then work on solutions. Simply denying there is an issue helps nobody and we end up stuck in a cycle of arguing amongst ourselves.
"On track" which means if conditions remain exactly the same until 2020, by then we will have made progress. World leaders aren't just going to sit by and let this crisis occur, they will do something by then. And for the record he seems to be one of the only people who thinks this will happen.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, sending 500,000 refugees back to Syria because 1% of them cause problems is exactly what ISIS want, that is the purpose of terrorism. We shouldn't discriminate every single immigrant because some of them have ill intent.

There are already 1.2M migrants that went in Germany in 2015 alone, and Greece is overflowing with about 130K just in the first two months (30 times more than last year) .. that's not a few thousand, that's an invasion.
tl;dr

Given that they support a candidate with the vocabulary of a 10 year old, it's not surprising that Trump supporters have reading comprehensions difficulties.
you're a mess

Can't respond so you resort to second grade insults. Nice. Trump really is attracting all the bigots in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending