The Student Room Group

Edinburgh College - Photography/Mature Students/Mental Health - Anyone?

So I'm sure this thread has been done before and if it has and if its wrong or not appropriate or anything like that, I'm sorry!

Basically, I turned 24 at the end of last year and I'm pretty sure I'm having a midlife crisis, send help immediately, ha! Anyway, for the last few years I've been looking into applying to college (I dont have the grades for uni) for photography as its pretty much all I've wanted to do since I was about 14. I have my own FB page etc (Jade Pringle Photography) and am looking at starting a website and have been sort of just self-taught myself because my anxiety has over the last few years kinda crippled me and now I desperately want to break out of it.

I want to learn more. The stuff I have taught myself is basic and the advice I have had from other photographers has been brilliant but I really want to learn and practice with others who are in the same boat as me and just want to be the best that they can be.

I've been looking at Edinburgh college and keep saying to myself just do it, yet my anxiety is literally saying "HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE OLD AND STUPID AND YOU'LL FAIL AND WHATS THE POINT YOU'LL GET LOST SOMEWHERE AND DIE DON'T BE STUPID" because if you don't have anxiety...thats whats it like. The thought of interviews etc terrifies me and I know I'm pathetic but c'mon I am trying.

I was just wondering if anyone here has applied for Edinburgh college or was a student there etc, or if there are any 'mature' (I hate that word with a passion) students that are looking to go there this year, and/or if any of you are applying for photography! I know I'm only just 24 but I do feel like the oldest person in the world and that in itself is nerve-wracking enough!

The other thing I was wondering was how the college are about students with mental health issues, I have a diagnosed panic disorder and depression, I'm not just 'nervous' and 'sad'. I really do want to apply but I'm scared that if I do lose my **** at some point I won't cope and will have to quit the course etc (yes, I know I'm over dramatising, that's just how my brain works)

I have a feeling someone is gonna rant at me for this post but sorry! any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Original post by jadeandrea
So I'm sure this thread has been done before and if it has and if its wrong or not appropriate or anything like that, I'm sorry!

Basically, I turned 24 at the end of last year and I'm pretty sure I'm having a midlife crisis, send help immediately, ha! Anyway, for the last few years I've been looking into applying to college (I dont have the grades for uni) for photography as its pretty much all I've wanted to do since I was about 14. I have my own FB page etc (Jade Pringle Photography) and am looking at starting a website and have been sort of just self-taught myself because my anxiety has over the last few years kinda crippled me and now I desperately want to break out of it.

I want to learn more. The stuff I have taught myself is basic and the advice I have had from other photographers has been brilliant but I really want to learn and practice with others who are in the same boat as me and just want to be the best that they can be.

I've been looking at Edinburgh college and keep saying to myself just do it, yet my anxiety is literally saying "HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE OLD AND STUPID AND YOU'LL FAIL AND WHATS THE POINT YOU'LL GET LOST SOMEWHERE AND DIE DON'T BE STUPID" because if you don't have anxiety...thats whats it like. The thought of interviews etc terrifies me and I know I'm pathetic but c'mon I am trying.

I was just wondering if anyone here has applied for Edinburgh college or was a student there etc, or if there are any 'mature' (I hate that word with a passion) students that are looking to go there this year, and/or if any of you are applying for photography! I know I'm only just 24 but I do feel like the oldest person in the world and that in itself is nerve-wracking enough!

The other thing I was wondering was how the college are about students with mental health issues, I have a diagnosed panic disorder and depression, I'm not just 'nervous' and 'sad'. I really do want to apply but I'm scared that if I do lose my **** at some point I won't cope and will have to quit the course etc (yes, I know I'm over dramatising, that's just how my brain works)

I have a feeling someone is gonna rant at me for this post but sorry! any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey! I've applied for the college this year for the Television course and I'm really in the same boat with you regarding the whole mental health thing (sorry I can't help with the age-side to things). I informed the college on my application of my anxiety/panic attacks and depression, and I'm pretty sure it was within a day that they emailed me and mentioned something about assistance with classes and things like that, which was really rather helpful. I do have the same worries as you though, 'cause I'm awful at coping with any type of stress and the panic attacks don't help.
I just had to tell myself that this is something I really wanted to do, and that I'd always regret it if I didn't at least try to apply. Obviously you've been wanting to do this for ages, so I would go for it and see what happens! If you need assistance or anything like that I'm sure the college will have people that can help, and there'll probably be other students in the same boat as you who will offer support! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest