The Student Room Group

Access to HE (health professionals) suitability for a psychology degree

I'm interested in studying a psychology degree but as I struggled in school due to mental illness I don't meet the criteria yet. I'm 32 and so will be coming at it as a mature student.
So does anyone know how likely I would be to get a place at uni with a health professionals diploma?
My local college only does this course and social sciences and I believe I would benefit from face to face teaching, which rules out a distance learning course.
Original post by AJDales
I'm interested in studying a psychology degree but as I struggled in school due to mental illness I don't meet the criteria yet. I'm 32 and so will be coming at it as a mature student.
So does anyone know how likely I would be to get a place at uni with a health professionals diploma?
My local college only does this course and social sciences and I believe I would benefit from face to face teaching, which rules out a distance learning course.

It would depend on the individual uni and whether they would accept Access courses.

From the top of my head, most psychology degrees don't request you to have any specific subjects, so you're fine in terms of subject. The pickier ones might ask psychology or biology as one of the subjects.

If the uni accepts Access courses, chances are you should be fine for their psychology degree.

As far as I know, Reading and Winchester accept Access and both courses are BPS accredited. You would need to look for the others yourself. I would start with the top end unis and then work my way down the league table, just to see how far you can get with your diploma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending