The Student Room Group

Pros & Cons of EU Referendum

Im quite oblivious to this EU in and out debate atm (revision -.-) i have tried to find some advantages of both debates and also the dis-advantages however it is just useless as every newspaper is contradicting themselves and just giving information which is more "scare-mongering" than actually useful.

So anyone who has knowledge and can give me some pros and cons of the In & Out debate that would be great.
Reply 1
In same position heard so many different things from so many different people don't know what to believe anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The problem is that nobody actually knows for certain, everybody's guessing at what will happen - in both scenarios.

Take everything you hear with a large shovel full of salt.
Vote remain and everything stays the same plus probably some extra migrants coming here from the new bottle neck in Greece when they try to divide them up.

Vote leave and the House of Commons will get all its powers back from Europe to make its own laws.
Control migration from Europe the current figure is 250k on official stats yet the number of eu nationals that got a national insurance number last year was over 600k. So who knows what the real figure is.
Controlling migration will reduce competition for jobs, housing and services. It has already been officially said that wages will rise. Obviously house price rises will slow but no one knows how much.
So the positives are the above.

To be completely neutral in giving you information the discrepancy between the leave and remain sides is almost all about the economy.

So we all know in means things stay the same on this front.

Out means we would have to negotiate a new trade deal with the eu.

We have two years to do this once article 50 is invoked. It doesn't need to be invoked straight away so we can start negotiations before doing so after a leave result and even after 2 years it is at the discretion of the Eu if the current trade relationship would need to cease at that point. Unlikely but they could in theory. So that is the mechanisms.

The remain side say that any deal will include free movement and Eu budget payments to get a free trade deal.

The leave side say that they can get a free trade deal with lower payments and no free movement.

Also the leave side say once they have left the eu we will be able to make trade deals with any country we like in the world which is something we can't do currently.

I could go on but I don't want to bog you down with procedures and facts so if you have a specific question just ask and I will answer impartially even though my mind is already made up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Also the leave side say once they have left the eu we will be able to make trade deals with any country we like in the world which is something we can't do currently.

I could go on but I don't want to bog you down with procedures and facts so if you have a specific question just ask and I will answer impartially even though my mind is already made up.

So fundamentally if the UK was to leave many business would be better off as they will have freedom to trade with countries outside the EU? However i dont understand how leaving or remaining is going to have any effect on jobs (the most used scare-mongering tactic) surely if we leave yes immigration will decrease but is it really going to result in everyone having a job or majority? As immigration being stopped/reduced is one thing, but many of the illegal workers are not exactly going to be put off by coming on the back of trucks/lorries and thus driving up unemployment anyway? Am i just thinking the wrong way? Also are you bre-exit?
Original post by TSRFT8
So fundamentally if the UK was to leave many business would be better off as they will have freedom to trade with countries outside the EU? However i dont understand how leaving or remaining is going to have any effect on jobs (the most used scare-mongering tactic) surely if we leave yes immigration will decrease but is it really going to result in everyone having a job or majority? As immigration being stopped/reduced is one thing, but many of the illegal workers are not exactly going to be put off by coming on the back of trucks/lorries and thus driving up unemployment anyway? Am i just thinking the wrong way? Also are you bre-exit?

Business' can already trade in any country they like outside the Eu, but the uk government can't do trade deals with countries outside the eu that have a deal with the eu (it's a little more complicated than that but I don't want to confuse you)
So the remain side say why will you get a better trade deal for the uk as 65 million people rather than the Eu do your trade deals for you that has 500 million.

The leave side says that those trade deals are in the interest generally of all the eu's 28 member states and aren't tailored individually to the uk's needs.
They also argue that the uk is the 5th largest economy in the world so they can get a better deal for themselves rather than the eu doing it for them.

As for your question on jobs....

The remain side says that 3 million jobs are at risk if you leave the eu.

The leave side says that figure is laughable and is simply the number of employees employed by business' that trade anything with the eu.
They also say why would you lose any jobs when you will continue trading with the eu.

As for your point on immigration, leave and remain aren't talking about that sort of example you gave directly but if you slowed down immigration (no one is arguing to stop it) then the laws of supply and demand come into play less workers for jobs mean higher wages and less migrants means there is less competition for jobs.

It mostly effects the poorest people positively.

Also the number of people illegally gaining entry into the uk on lorries is a tiny number of people almost all of them get caught so your talking only hundreds of people or single thousands of people per year.

As for your question of what side I will vote for....

I'll be voting leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Any other questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending