The Student Room Group

Uni or apprenticeship

I am really struggling to figure out what I want to do after sixth form. My options are Aerospace Engineering at Kingston Uni or Engineering Apprenticeship at Veolia. My aim is to get into the aerospace industry. I made a pros and cons so I hope I can get some advice.

Apprenticeship Pros
- Good pay
- Close to home
- Big company
- Work experience
- Level 3 Tech Certificate BTEC in Engineering
- NVQ Level 3 (Competency) in Engineering & Working Safety Certificate

Apprenticeship Cons
- Not in the engineering field I prefer
- Less freedom
- 3 Years 6 Months

Uni Pros
- BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Degree
- More freedom
- Quite close to home
- Living in London
- 3 Years

Uni Cons
- Not getting paid
- Student Loan
Original post by sammie916
I am really struggling to figure out what I want to do after sixth form. My options are Aerospace Engineering at Kingston Uni or Engineering Apprenticeship at Veolia. My aim is to get into the aerospace industry. I made a pros and cons so I hope I can get some advice.

Apprenticeship Pros
- Good pay
- Close to home
- Big company
- Work experience
- Level 3 Tech Certificate BTEC in Engineering
- NVQ Level 3 (Competency) in Engineering & Working Safety Certificate

Apprenticeship Cons
- Not in the engineering field I prefer
- Less freedom
- 3 Years 6 Months

Uni Pros
- BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Degree
- More freedom
- Quite close to home
- Living in London
- 3 Years

Uni Cons
- Not getting paid
- Student Loan

Out of everything you've listed there, what are the most important factors to you e.g. is being close to home something that you really value, or is the financial aspect bigger etc.?

I was in a similar position to you (quite a few years ago now), and I opted for an apprenticeship. My main reason was that I could always return to university at a later date whereas the opportunity of the particular apprenticeship I had might not be available if I were to apply again.

It's a tough decision and not one that anyone else can decide for you (which is annoying, I know). You've clearly thought through the pros and cons. I'd go through them and rank the pros and cons now, to identify which factors are most important to you. Good luck and I'm happy to be a sounding board if you want to discuss further :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending