The Student Room Group

How much money do your parents make roughly and what professions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Wow! What's O&G? Your parent's death must have been a hard hit at your mom's finances. :/

Oil and Gas.

Yeah, it was tough. Even more so now that she's only getting a £13k stipend but, that's life. Hopefully I'll achieve my career goals and maybe even beat my dad's peak income :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
Oil and Gas.

Yeah, it was tough. Even more so now that she's only getting a £13k stipend but, that's life. Hopefully I'll achieve my career goals and maybe even beat my dad's peak income :smile:

How did you dad die?
I really hope I don't end up like my parents.
My dad is a factory tool setter, £23k.
My mum's a stay-at-home-mum, even though her youngest is 18 (me).
My parents are divorced. My mum is a university academic on about £50K (I think - she doesn't discuss it with precision) and my dad is a senior adviser in an EU institution and also advises some other organisations who pay him to do so (kind of a consultant really) and again he doesn't tell me what he earns, but I would guess it's well over £200K.
Think my dad ended up on about £40k as an oncology research chemist

He retired at 55 though so he is on much less now. Think he said it amounts to about min wage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tutorscience
How did you dad die?

Unexpected lung cancer
Unexpected lung cancer

did he smoke?
Both parents claim benefits but here I am going off to Oxford in September
did he smoke?

Never in his life
Both doctors. Mum earns 130k ish, dad around 80k
Original post by Asklepios

Dat feel when your wife dominates you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What area for your mum and dad?
Dat feel when your wife dominates you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who cares when you earn 80k
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Who cares when you earn 80k

You'd be surprised actually, some dudes have a inferiority complex. Personally, I wouldn't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What area for your mum and dad?

Radiology and general surgery respectively
Radiology and general surgery respectively

Do you mean like medicine doctor into radiology or like diagnostic radiology phD:?
Do you mean like medicine doctor into radiology or like diagnostic radiology phD:?

They're both medics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel9998
Dad: IT engineer/architect at JPMorgan - 60k
Mum: Nothing atm but training to be an accountant

Yup very boring stuff

Wait why is your dad an architect at a building that is already built
Original post by theconfusedman
Wait why is your dad an architect at a building that is already built

Computer/Software Architecture =/= regular architecture.

An Architect in a technology sense means that they oversee projects and build out specifications for different Tech related products (usually chips, software etc)/services. Like a senior project manager in a sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
My mum was a bar maid most of her life, so minimum wage as you can imagine. Then she went back into education to become a counsellor of some sort on top of full time bar work and was doing well and was soon to qualify. But then my granddad became ill so she became his carer and bar work part time, those were some particularly poor years. Then my granddad died (and ****ing hell even the lowest of key funerals are expensive) and just as she was about to finish her education she became too ill. So yeah....poor.

As for my dad, I know he has a chemistry degree but I don't know what he did work wise. We don't talk.

Quick Reply

Latest