The Student Room Group

Women in Sweden warned not to go out after dark

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
I think it'll only be addressed after the next election - atm they have a coalition with the Greens, nothing is going to be done about addressing one of the 'root causes' of the problem (am I allowed to mention it?)

And did they anticipate any of this do you think?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Anyone who warned about the increased risk of rape would probably have been severely repremanded for being a racist bigot

And it's not like there have been any racial tension issues in Scandinavia that would have suggested there may be some problems that come up in taking all these people in and......oh wait.....
Reply 62
What a third world pile of crap
Reply 63
Is this not "rape culture"..
I might be wrong but hasn't Sweden had the highest rape count per unit population for over 10 years now?

"A 2010 Amnesty report said: "In Sweden, according to official crime statistics, the number of reported rapes has quadrupled during the past 20 years. In 2008, there were just over 4,000 rapes of people over 15, the great majority of them girls and women."
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Is this not "rape culture"..

Its imported rape culture. But overall, not in Sweden.
Original post by leavingthecity
Its imported rape culture.*> But overall, not in Sweden.<*

Sorry, what does this mean? Is it there is only a rape culture in areas dominated by immigrants?(Muslims mostly)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Sorry, what does this mean?

Those that actually come from a rape culture have immigrated to countries that do not have one, and now we see situations like that in the thread title.

There was a thread about rape culture yesterday I think. The general consensus was that the term was outdated for general application in the West, but it was discussed that it certainly exists in some sections of society in the West and immigration from countries that have crap attitudes towards women contribute.
Sorry, what does this mean? Is it there is only a rape culture in areas dominated by immigrants?(Muslims mostly)

Addressing your ETA: it's about the country of origin and the culture, not the religious orientation.
The only reason, is because horny Muslims love some white, blonde, "infidel" P*ssy. We all know Muslim men have an uncontrollable sex drive. And they know full well they can get away with it.
Reply 70
As someone who lived in Sweden for several years to study and work, I can attest to the fact that Sweden has a serious issue with the "quality" of immigrants.

Immigration can be a wonderful thing but in Sweden's case they have let in a high level of what I'd only describe as economic immigrants over the past 10-20 years. Most of them are there to just leech off Sweden's very VERY generous benefits system. They do not intend to ever work. Most of them are from countries with certain "cultures" which clash with the Swedish way of life.

Unfortunately, I've also been on the receiving end of harrassment and physical abuse when I was there by non-Swedes. I never encountered one issue with Swedish people (or those immigrants at least intergrated in to Swedish society). One evening a pair of men, who were speaking in an eastern-european language, followed me from a grocery store to near my apartment until I told them to basically f*** off. I was absolutely petrified.

One time I walked past a group of men who were not speaking Swedish with each other, and looked to be Arabic, shouted something at me (not in Swedish) to get my attention. I ignored them. So they threw a bottle of juice at me which narrowly missed my head. Also had a group of non-Swedes harrass me in a queue at a theme park in Stockholm. I was also harrassed on the trams many, many times that I lost count and eventually purchased a car instead. These incidents were with men who I'd describe as north-African origin.

I've lived in both London and Manchester and have never ever encountered these issues with immigrants in either cities and some of my closest friends are immigrants to the UK. I feel that I can travel on the tube...walk down the street in the evening...and not encounter these issues. Of course these things can happen anywhere in the world, but I never in my wildest dreams expected to feel so unsafe. Sweden regularly tops the charts as one of the best countries to live in the world. Expect to see them steadily decline over the next decade...

Sweden isn't great opportunity wise, however, it is a beautiful country with a very very generous benefits system. The UK has both opportunities and good benefits. As a result most of Sweden's immigrants are only there for the latter. I may add that I only got work through a friend or else I would not have gone there.

It's such a shame because Sweden is such a beautiful country with beautiful people and I feel that it is destroying itself. I have spoken with so many native Swedes over the years who all felt the same way. They felt that Sweden is going down the pan but can't speak out because you will be tarnished with the "racist brush". Even the news outlets there hardly report rapes or attacks if they're by someone who is not a native - and they will most certainly not mention race. I distinctly remember being told to not cycle near such-and-such part of town, because it was purely immigrants and women were regularly attacked. We also had cars set on fire outside our apartments and when the fire brigade came, they threw bricks at them. Not even kidding. And yes, the instigators were not Swedish.

Anyway, thought I'd give my ten pence as someone who's seen and has been on the receiving end of this type of behaviour. It's actually very sad to see this happening to a great country - but they need to stop being such a bloody push-over.

TL;DR - sorry didn't realise it was so long. But thought I'd give a personal experience of living in Sweden as a female.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 71
So... not only are we not allowed to be liberated with the clothes we wear, the way we behave and where we go... now we can't even be free to enjoy our time how we like? This is the main issue I have with the whole "if you flash your cash around you're at fault for getting robbed" comparison... no! Police need to implement more patrols and the government needs to have more awareness in school about sexual harassment in all forms and why it is completely wrong and how it affects its victims! Men aren't all natural rapists but some have been brought up with such little respect for women that they think it's ok and that can change with the right education. What should not be taught is that women are at fault for going about their daily lives... going out at night for women should not be risky!
Original post by leavingthecity
Those that actually come from a rape culture have immigrated to countries that do not have one, and now we see situations like that in the thread title.

There was a thread about rape culture yesterday I think. The general consensus was that the term was outdated for general application in the West, but it was discussed that it certainly exists in some sections of society in the West and immigration from countries that have crap attitudes towards women contribute.

Sorry, I see what you mean and I agree.

Ironically from my own personal experience both online and itrw, the people that constantly spout that we live in a rape culture here in the UK are the same ones that go quiet or deflect when ever Rochdale, and countless other rape gang towns comes up.
I have never understood how they square it in their own mind.
Original post by Sazzy890
Trouble with encouraging women not to go out alone at night is that it inadvertently puts the blame on the woman for being out on her own at night when in reality it is the rapists fault for raping the woman in the first place.

It is a shame that we live in a world now where people can't just go out at whatever time of day or night they like alone without there being a risk of being attacked and violated.

In principle I agree, it's obvious that the only person to blame is the rapist.

However, whilst it's easy to come out with such an overtly righteous and easy opinion, things are probably so out of control that it's not possible for Swedes to have the luxury of seeing the world in such an easy way. If Sweden was largely safe, you could look a women in the eyes and say it's ok to go out, but when things are two steps from falling apart, it's not so easy.
Reply 74
Original post by elise10
As someone who lived in Sweden for several years to study and work, I can attest to the fact that Sweden has a serious issue with the "quality" of immigrants.

Immigration can be a wonderful thing but in Sweden's case they have let in a high level of what I'd only describe as economic immigrants over the past 10-20 years. Most of them are there to just leech off Sweden's very VERY generous benefits system. They do not intend to ever work. Most of them are from countries with certain "cultures" which clash with the Swedish way of life.

Unfortunately, I've also been on the receiving end of harrassment and physical abuse when I was there by non-Swedes. I never encountered one issue with Swedish people (or those immigrants at least intergrated in to Swedish society). One evening a pair of men, who were speaking in an eastern-european language, followed me from a grocery store to near my apartment until I told them to basically f*** off. I was absolutely petrified.

One time I walked past a group of men who were not speaking Swedish with each other, and looked to be Arabic, shouted something at me (not in Swedish) to get my attention. I ignored them. So they threw a bottle of juice at me which narrowly missed my head. Also had a group of non-Swedes harrass me in a queue at a theme park in Stockholm. I was also harrassed on the trams many, many times that I lost count and eventually purchased a car instead. These incidents were with men who I'd describe as north-African origin.

I've lived in both London and Manchester and have never ever encountered these issues with immigrants in either cities and some of my closest friends are immigrants to the UK. I feel that I can travel on the tube...walk down the street in the evening...and not encounter these issues. Of course these things can happen anywhere in the world, but I never in my wildest dreams expected to feel so unsafe. Sweden regularly tops the charts as one of the best countries to live in the world. Expect to see them steadily decline over the next decade...

Sweden isn't great opportunity wise, however, it is a beautiful country with a very very generous benefits system. The UK has both opportunities and good benefits. As a result most of Sweden's immigrants are only there for the latter. I may add that I only got work through a friend or else I would not have gone there.

It's such a shame because Sweden is such a beautiful country with beautiful people and I feel that it is destroying itself. I have spoken with so many native Swedes over the years who all felt the same way. They felt that Sweden is going down the pan but can't speak out because you will be tarnished with the "racist brush". Even the news outlets there hardly report rapes or attacks if they're by someone who is not a native - and they will most certainly not mention race. I distinctly remember being told to not cycle near such-and-such part of town, because it was purely immigrants and women were regularly attacked. We also had cars set on fire outside our apartments and when the fire brigade came, they threw bricks at them. Not even kidding. And yes, the instigators were not Swedish.

Anyway, thought I'd give my ten pence as someone who's seen and has been on the receiving end of this type of behaviour. It's actually very sad to see this happening to a great country - but they need to stop being such a bloody push-over.

TL;DR - sorry didn't realise it was so long. But thought I'd give a personal experience of living in Sweden as a female.

I think the problem is how they are integrated into society. I think Britain is heading down a dangerous path of NOT integrating immigrants and viewing them as not British, with the current Tory government and the rise of UKIP they are seen as "different". I can't speak for sweden but I have lived (and currently live) in a western European country that I won't name where they are not opened with open arms and there is a lot of xenophobia, so they do not integrate. I experience DAILY harassment above all from these north african immigrant men because it's not typically in their culture to have respect for women, and in turn it makes the local people also treat women in a similar way. I have never felt so nervous walking home at night as I do here and I come from a big city full of immigrants in England. Even during the day me and my female friends are shouted at, cat called, followed and even touched by men sometimes. It makes you feel really uncomfortable and unless you've experienced it I don't think you really understand how gross it makes you feel. Immigrants are not the problem, the country into which they are moving is.
Multiculturalism is the way forward. Welcome them into the country and teach them when they come to their new country that disrespecting women is not a good aspect of their culture, but integrate the good parts of their culture ie. community living and friendliness into ours so we all improve!

Just a disclaimer I am talking about the immigrant aspect of sexual harassment, they are by no means the only people who do it in a country. Also I know it's not just north africans AND I know many lovely north african, they are just the main immigrant/perpetrator where I live and I know many cultures outside the western world have even worse respect for women.
(edited 8 years ago)
Slur walks came about because of such well meant advice from a police official didn't it?

Never thought of it before but it would be interesting to see if a group a of left wing slut walkers would put their money where their mouth is and slutwalk certain areas of say, Malmo.
Original post by Moura
I think the problem is how they are integrated into society. I think Britain is heading down a dangerous path of NOT integrating immigrants and viewing them as British, with the current Tory government and the rise of UKIP they are seen as "different". I can't speak for sweden but I have lived (and currently live) in a western European country that I won't name where they are not opened with open arms and there is a lot of xenophobia, so they do not integrate. I experience DAILY harassment above all from these north african immigrant men because it's not typically in their culture to have respect for women, and in turn it makes the local people also treat women in a similar way. I have never felt so nervous walking home at night as I do here and I come from a big city full of immigrants in England. Even during the day me and my female friends are shouted at, cat called, followed and even touched by men sometimes. It makes you feel really uncomfortable and unless you've experienced it I don't think you really understand how gross it makes you feel. Immigrants are not the problem, the country into which they are moving is.
Multiculturalism is the way forward. Welcome them into the country and teach them when they come to their new country that disrespecting women is not a good aspect of their culture, but integrate the good parts of their culture ie. community living and friendliness into ours so we all improve!

Just a disclaimer I am talking about the immigrant aspect of sexual harassment, they are by no means the only people who do it in a country. Also I know it's not just north africans AND I know many lovely north african, they are just the main immigrant/perpetrator where I live and I know many cultures outside the western world have even worse respect for women.

You are an utter idiot if you think that "Multiculturalism", is going to make them behave and not sexually harass (or worse) women.
Sorry, I see what you mean and I agree.

Ironically from my own personal experience both online and itrw, the people that constantly spout that we live in a rape culture here in the UK are the same ones that go quiet or deflect when ever Rochdale, and countless other rape gang towns comes up.
I have never understood how they square it in their own mind.

As in they don't want to address the cultural issues do you mean?
Original post by elise10

On the contrar Elise NTL; DR (not too long, did read it) and a very good read too.
You see post from both sides here but most, like, me are only spouting what they have read . It is good to see somebody talking about their life experiences.
Reply 79
Original post by Phipp91
You are an utter idiot if you think that "Multiculturalism", is going to make them behave and not sexually harass (or worse) women.

1. There is no need for personal remarks
2. I personally think it is. If you move to a country permanently you should, or at least your children should, identify as a person of that new country if you are really going to settle there. In turn, we cannot expect people to just abandon their old culture, it's so interlinked with personal identity and beliefs. As someone who is currently living in a foreign country there is no way I would leave behind my British culture and if I were to have children here, while I know they would feel a part of this new country, they would still be influenced by my own British culture. I would say it takes a few generations of a family to completely forget about the old culture you once had. Therefore the best way forward is to welcome and accept new cultures but draw the line at negative things such as disrespect for women by teaching how this is not something you can hang on to if you are living in this country and educating that women are not second class citizens.

It is not so long ago that British people held the same opinions about women (and I'm sure you can find quite a few men who hold on the these views). Opinions can change with education.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending