The Student Room Group

Atheist Q and A

Scroll to see replies

How do you cope with unfairness in your life? A perceived lack of karma? Etc.

We die, that's it. Surely this is somewhat demoralising....

How do you solve (in your head) the problem of infinite regress?

Do you feel the need to tell everyone you are an atheist?

Would you ever be with someone who was not an atheist?

Personally, i'm 'spiritual' and believe in god-like being but i reject the main organised religions...
Original post by rroddick
Posted from TSR Mobile
Any Christians, go read the da vinci code, as its based on fact, then ask qs lol

I've not read the Da Vinci Code, but I don't think it is based on facts.
Original post by The Epicurean
Though I do agree with you here, do you not think that will be difficult? I imagine a lot of big organisations such as the Catholic Church would oppose this.

From what I understand, Good Bloke is continuing on from the point I made about foreign funding, and not about immigration.

Would you not agree that there is a close tie between immigration and foreign funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
That is a good reason for ending immigration then, as well as foreign religious funding. Why would we want to keep Christianity and Islam alive in the UK? Roll on a secular Britain.

Immigration full stop or religious immigration? Can that be justified within international law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Immigration full stop or religious immigration? Can that be justified within international law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any country can apply its own immigration policy. Obviously, the UK cannot prevent EU citizens from working here.
Original post by Unistudent77

Just accept it and try to make the world a better and more fair place for the next generation and hope that they carry this endeavour on too.

But nobody talks of how depressing their pre-natal non-existence is. Do you ever reflect upon your non-existence prior to being born and how do you perceive it?

There are many problems that the human mind cannot comprehend. Try to imagine a four dimensional object. It is beyond the human mind to comprehension.

Outside of TSR, it is a thing I rarely mention, and it only ever really comes up in a discussion when someone is trying to preach to me.

I have no issue with it. I don't seek someone who agrees with me and holds all the same views and opinions as me, that would be rather boring. Whether they can accept me and my beliefs, that is another question.

Original post by Scrappy-coco
Would you not agree that there is a close tie between immigration and foreign funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. I think issues only arise when mass immigration takes place. A reasonable and controlled level of immigration shouldn't be a problem.
[QUOTE=Mathemagicien;63321407]I'm not OP, but speaking as a non-militant atheist...

**** happens, we get over it

We have children, our achievements last longer than our own lifetimes.

No

No

Personally, i'm 'spiritual' and believe in god-like being but i reject the main organised religions...
Aren't you a special snowflake?

[video="youtube;Z78_rAg4Ldg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z78_rAg4Ldg[/video]

1) Fair. However that only works in some instances, a wider purpose is needed imo for severe events. Wider purpose does not have to be a god though.

Why would you not be with an agnostic?
Surely that is bigoted....
Why not with someone who is of faith but does not preach etc?

What do you believe was the root cause? (I'm talking before big bang ie singularity etc...)

You describe yourself as 'non-militant' yet cone across as aggressive andconfrontational. V much a keyboard warrior.

Do you even know the difference between having some belief in a higher being and subscribing to a mainstream religion? It seems like you lump the two together.

Life's not fair, is a popular saying. It's just like that. Nothing to understand about that.

Dying is not demoralising. It just happens....I'm cool with it happening to me.

I solve problems with physics.

I will tell people I am an atheist if asked.

I would not be in a relationship with someone of faith.
[QUOTE=The Epicurean;63321423]Just accept it and try to make the world a better and more fair place for the next generation and hope that they carry this endeavour on too.
[QUOTE/]

Fair enough. No karma/heaven and hell scenario would be rather problematic i feel... So much 'unfairness' with no 'correction' once we die.

(edited 8 years ago)
Oh my days. My phone cannot quote.
[QUOTE=leavingthecity;63321841]Life's not fair, is a popular saying. It's just like that. Nothing to understand about that.

Dying is not demoralising. It just happens....I'm cool with it happening to me.

I solve problems with physics.

I will tell people I am an atheist if asked.

I would not be in a relationship with someone of faith.

I'm also cool with dying. More the lack of purpose it gives you...
If you can't achieve what you want to then since there is nothing afterwards, your life has been pointless. Bad luck, you had a horrendous/useless whatever life.

Physics cannot identify the root cause. Please solve the problem of infinite regress.... You can't.

Fair enough.

I think that is limiting your options significantly. Why let a belief effect your relationship with another individual to such an extent?
Fair enough a priest with an atheist ain't happening but with more moderate people i think this is a non-sensical viewpoint.

[QUOTE=Mathemagicien;63321927]Why would you not be with an agnostic? Because the question of purpose in life tends to lead one to question whether a God exists or not; an agnostic likely hasn't thought about this much. I think a philosophical outlook on life is a necessity in a partner.

Surely that is bigoted.... Oh dear

Why not with someone who is of faith but does not preach etc? Because they likely hold other irrational beliefs that would conflict with my own.

What do you believe was the root cause? (I'm talking before big bang ie singularity etc...) We need to know more physics before we can answer that. There's no point me speculating, nor creating a god-figure to fill the knowledge vacuum.

You describe yourself as 'non-militant' yet cone across as aggressive andconfrontational. V much a keyboard warrior. Your description of yourself as 'spiritual, but not religious' cracked me up

Do you even know the difference between having some belief in a higher being and subscribing to a mainstream religion? It seems like you lump the two together. I don't; I think subscribing to a mainstream religion is more respectable

We were created by something. Something caused the initial spark.
We do not know what caused it.
I think it's ignorant to generalise that 'agnostics' have not thought about the issue.

'Oh dear' doesn't refute my criticism. I stand by my claim.

I do not think that can be said of someone who is not strongly theist. You don't sound like a very liberal/accepting person so probably for the best that you hold such an intolerant view.

Don't know is kind of agnostic really. We were either created by something (which you reject) or something created a singularity with something effected and that led to our evolution.

'Non-religious' was, in the context of this thread, to show i am not someone who attends Church, a Mosque etc nor subscribe to a mainstream religion. You are being facetious with your critique of what i said but that doesn't surprise me.

Ok mate.
(edited 8 years ago)

Fair enough. No karma/heaven and hell scenario would be rather problematic i feel... So much 'unfairness' with no 'correction' once we die.

Life is clearly not fair and it does not favour good over evil. I would argue that the very concepts of heaven and hell were invented by humans who had an insatiable need for revenge/justice and who noted that divine justice is not observed in reality.

That is before you have experienced loss. Before happiness. Before injustice etc etc. I reflect upon it in the sense of what my parents were doing, the state of the world, politics at that time but i obviously have no comprehension of before it. How is that relevant to afterwards...?

Well personally I'd much rather prefer to enjoy what I'm experiencing now in the moment, rather than wasting that time worrying about losing it. Death is inevitable and I don't really have an issue with it, as long as I lived my life well then I'm satisfied.

True. Therefore we chose the best option.
There was a root cause. Either we were created by something which created a stable base like state (singularity) which unexplainably was altered from that stable state by something and that led to big bangs, expansion and eventually our big bang. With no other life (as yet. Personally, i have no idea re aliens but we have no proof for their existence)

Or a higher being set the initial parameters. There is something beyond our comprehension once we die.

Both arguments cannot be proven. Thus we are left with irrational thought. It would be nicer/better to believe that there is some kind of justice afterwards. Therefore i chose to believe it out of nothing but hope.

How absurd, those are not the only two options because you have assumed that both of them involve some sort of being! There is no evidence for such a creature and it's also possible that no supernatural being exists. And you're free to believe what you want, but that doesn't make it true or even plausible.
Reply 492
Original post by Lawbringer
How are you so sure there is no god? Surely being agnostic is the best approach to this situation?

Theism is the belief that god(s) exists, despite the lack of verifiable evidence for one.

Atheism is the belief that no god(s) exists, as there is no verifiable evidence for one.

Agnosticism is the rejection of a belief in either; the middle ground, if you will.
Reply 493
Original post by morgan8002
Ok. I'll phrase the question more specifically. Do you think people can decide whether or not to be atheist by themselves?

Some people lack the critical thinking ability necessary to doubt their faith in the first place—whether it be due to a lack of education, restricted cognitive capacity or deliberate ignorance.

Sure, no one can decide whether you are atheist on your behalf, but it is extremely unlikely for an individual to challenge their own religion—particularly in monofaith societies where children and adults alike are sheltered from views that differ from those they were indoctrinated with at a young age.

Hence, there is the argument that in certain scenarios, religious folk benefit from exposure to opposition. Second-guessing yourself is never a bad thing, and neither is the pursuit of knowledge.
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=Plantagenet Crown;63322355]Life is clearly not fair and it does not favour good over evil. I would argue that the very concepts of heaven and hell were invented by humans who had an insatiable need for revenge/justice and who noted that divine justice is not observed in reality.

Well personally I'd much rather prefer to enjoy what I'm experiencing now in the moment, rather than wasting that time worrying about losing it. Death is inevitable and I don't really have an issue with it, as long as I lived my life well then I'm satisfied.

How absurd, those are not the only two options because you have assumed that both of them involve some sort of being! There is no evidence for such a creature and it's also possible that no supernatural being exists. And you're free to believe what you want, but that doesn't make it true or even plausible.

(No time to properly reply but...)

Agree with first two points pretty much. Their sentiments anyway.

Last point:

What other viewpoint is being put forward then?
Scientists think that before our big bang and universe there were previous big bangs and if we go very, very far back they identify what they have termed a 'singularity'. As i've vaguely outlined before.

There WAS a root cause. It's ridiculous to suggest there wasn't. The singularity must have come about due to something. Be that a chemical process (out of what though?) or by a 'being'...

That singualrity is described as a stable and seemingly infinite state. Ok cool but how did it change into a less stable entity? Logic would dictate something caused it to change....

So i am not saying there is a higher power. However, 'physics' imo does not explain what caused us. It does not solve the problem of infinite regress.
There is an answer to the problem of infinite regress but none of us know what that is.
So i don't think atheists nor theists can claim to be superior over the other as a result.

If the theist uses the bible etc and rejects evolution, the big bang etc then that is different.
Original post by Debbie_KB
What is the need of religion if there is no God? In your opinion. :smile:

And what makes you thnk there is no God?
Reply 496
Original post by Leviathan1741
We can't really be 100% sure that there is no god, however we can still lack belief in one, hence agnostic atheism (not believing in god but not claiming to know that god doesn't exist) :smile:

Nobody can validly claim that they "know" god doesn't exist, and likewise, nobody can validly claim that they know one does. The existence of one has neither been proven or disproven. It's solely belief (or lack of).

Well we all have unfairness in life. How is it fair that if you were born in the "right" religion, you have a higher chance of getting into heaven.
Anyhow, surely this is an incentive to right the wrongs of the world and reduce unfairness? For example, instead of praying for rain (http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/03/02/national/mpas-mic-forcibly-switched-off-for-praying-for-rain/), it is better to go out there and built water pumps and water transportation measures to villages and take steps towards reducing global warming. Another example is instead of praying for victims of gun violence (http://www.piconetwork.org/pages/prayer-to-end-gun-violence), it is better if we tackle the root causes of it and try to solve the mental health issues and a lack of gun control to rectify (or at least decrease the effect) such problems.

Not really, everyone who has been born will die. Again, it is also an incentive to make our lives and the lives of other better as this is the only life we get. It also gives a big incentive to leave a legacy, and try to do good so you can inspire further generation to do good and solve problems. This was the original message of Carpe Diem (Yolo) before it got hijacked by certain groups of people. Forget Jesus, stars died so you could be here.

Occam's razor. god does not help, in fact it adds more questions than answers. We may not have a full answer, but we have a good basis to hypothesise models and test. If you look at what has been achieved in the field of cosmology during the last century, I am confident that we can get closer to an answer. This answer will be far more fascinating and inspiring than can be found in books about sky-gods. Old men in the desert had wild imaginations, but as Lawrence Krauss said "Mother nature is far more creative than humans could hope to be."

No, but religious people forcing dogmatic beliefs down my throat is also a thing. The word "atheist" is also problematic and is designed for such purpose though. Why should I go round saying "I don't believe in a non-existent something" - why should I define myself by something I am not? Do you say, I am "anti-racist" or "a-dragonist".

Probably, but likelihood is probably not. Let's put it this way, I don't think someone who is religious will want to be with me so I'm only doing them a favour.

Great! Do you being "spiritual" contains a set of superstitions and rituals that you abide by?
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=chemting;63322999]Well we all have unfairness in life. How is it fair that if you were born in the "right" religion, you have a higher chance of getting into heaven.
Anyhow, surely this is an incentive to right the wrongs of the world and reduce unfairness? For example, instead of praying for rain (http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/03/02/national/mpas-mic-forcibly-switched-off-for-praying-for-rain/), it is better to go out there and built water pumps and water transportation measures to villages and take steps towards reducing global warming. Another example is instead of praying for victims of gun violence (http://www.piconetwork.org/pages/prayer-to-end-gun-violence), it is better if we tackle the root causes of it and try to solve the mental health issues and a lack of gun control to rectify (or at least decrease the effect) such problems.

Not really, everyone who has been born will die. Again, it is also an incentive to make our lives and the lives of other better as this is the only life we get. It also gives a big incentive to leave a legacy, and try to do good so you can inspire further generation to do good and solve problems. This was the original message of Carpe Diem (Yolo) before it got hijacked by certain groups of people. Forget Jesus, stars died so you could be here.

Occam's razor. god does not help, in fact it adds more questions than answers. We may not have a full answer, but we have a good basis to hypothesise models and test. If you look at what has been achieved in the field of cosmology during the last century, I am confident that we can get closer to an answer. This answer will be far more fascinating and inspiring than can be found in books about sky-gods. Old men in the desert had wild imaginations, but as Lawrence Krauss said "Mother nature is far more creative than humans could hope to be."

No, but religious people forcing dogmatic beliefs down my throat is also a thing. The word "atheist" is also problematic and is designed for such purpose though. Why should I go round saying "I don't believe in a non-existent something" - why should I define myself by something I am not? Do you say, I am "anti-racist" or "a-dragonist".

Probably, but likelihood is probably not. Let's put it this way, I don't think someone who is religious will want to be with me so I'm only doing them a favour.

Great! Do you being "spiritual" contains a set of superstitions and rituals that you abide by?

Will reply to this tomorrow when i have time.

Agree with a fair bit of what you say

To answer your question:
No.
Only the thought that there could be a higher power and perhaps a karma type system upon death.

I view this as unlikely and far fetched but science does not solve things either (yet anyway).
Original post by Good bloke
Any country can apply its own immigration policy. Obviously, the UK cannot prevent EU citizens from working here.

Well good luck with getting that policy passed :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending