The Student Room Group

What's more important?

People, nowadays, claim they find finding love a difficult or tedious task because the other person is never 'attractive' enough for them. Physically, of course. Others claim that they never cared for appearance (like me) and would rather have a good heart. But what's more important?

I find, personally, when I grow close to someone and fall for them, romantically, I am often rejected. It's not because I'm a dick or anything, seeing as I am as kind as I can be. I'm never forward, or anything. So clearly there has to be more than just personality involved. If I knew how to make this into a poll I would, but hey ho.

Feel free to debate!
This is a contentious issue but, in my view, personality is what's more important (it's like a 65-35 split for me) :h:
77.5,22.5 split for me in favour of personality, mainly because most people annoy the hell out of me within a month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Indeterminate
This is a contentious issue but, in my view, personality is what's more important (it's like a 65-35 split for me) :h:

I agree. It's likely to begin arguments everywhere because this debate is akin to walking on lindmines, though this is also something which has puzzled me for a huge amount of time. After all, I seem to have not found it though I aspire to be the best I could be. It's not like I'm a horrible person. I'm just so confused about this xD
Reply 4
Personality is always more important to me, but it is also important to find your partner physically attractive. I find once I find their personality attractive that I will find them physically attractive all of a sudden (if I didn't already beforehand).

Have you asked these people you've fallen for why they rejected you? It sounds terrible but sometimes there is such a thing as being too kind. You don't need to be a dick, but sometimes not being quite so friendly and helpful can be attractive (from a woman's perspective).
I'm in no position to comment on it really but...

They are equally important, I need to be sexually attracted to them, and see myself as roughly equal to their appeal. Personality is the clincher, as it would define whether I would just want them as a friend (or fling) or whether it is worth my time to pursue them romantically. Plus, like some people have suggested, as I get to know them and find I love their personality, my sexual attraction to their appearance grows.

Original post by Katarvi
Personality is always more important to me, but it is also important to find your partner physically attractive. I find once I find their personality attractive that I will find them physically attractive all of a sudden (if I didn't already beforehand).Have you asked these people you've fallen for why they rejected you? It sounds terrible but sometimes there is such a thing as being too kind. You don't need to be a dick, but sometimes not being quite so friendly and helpful can be attractive (from a woman's perspective).
I don't really get that. Being a dick is forgiven but being too kind is never overlooked?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Attraction is everything let's be honest. If they've got a good personality they're called a friend. Personally i'm not too picky, as long as you're pleasant to look at we're good game.
Original post by Katarvi
Personality is always more important to me, but it is also important to find your partner physically attractive. I find once I find their personality attractive that I will find them physically attractive all of a sudden (if I didn't already beforehand).

Have you asked these people you've fallen for why they rejected you? It sounds terrible but sometimes there is such a thing as being too kind. You don't need to be a dick, but sometimes not being quite so friendly and helpful can be attractive (from a woman's perspective).

Same here :smile:
Original post by whorace
Attraction is everything let's be honest. If they've got a good personality they're called a friend. Personally i'm not too picky, as long as you're pleasant to look at we're good game.

While it's understandable that you'd feel more comfortable in only caring about physical attraction if you convince yourself that everyone else is only pretending to feel differently, there truly are people for whom personality is very important; we're not just pretending.

Blimey, that was a train wreck of a sentence, wasn't it.
appearance doesn't count for **** if the person is an hygienic pig.

Compatibility is the most important factor to me anyway. I lose interest very quickly in people I dont feel compatible with in terms of things like humor, personality, values, interests etc. In short, aesthetics is what might make me want to look at a person but it's their personality that keeps me looking, my attention span is very short. There's a difference between finding someone physically attractive and actually being attracted to them. Even if I didn't initially find someone physically attractive, I can become attracted to them the more time I spend getting to know them, discovering common interests, just enjoying their company and feeling compatible etc. A positive personality just makes a person more attractive in my eyes. I'm very unattracted to pessimists and chronically negative people
Original post by Katarvi

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I don't really get that. Being a dick is forgiven but being too kind is never overlooked?

I have done, many a time. Never with a straight response. One girl even told me she was lesbian, and the following season was dating some guy she met on the internet weeks after the friendship dissolved. He's 13 years older than her, which is weird O.O usually the 'friendzone' card is played.

I don't tend to be overly kind. I messge with people whenever they want to talk, and don't pester for a response. Could be a few days between talking with people. So it's not like I'm clingy. I'll gladly express my opinions on certain matters and make it explicitly clear where I stand in certain circumstances and am not afraid to challenge views which are outrageous or disgraceful. But i do often have really in depth conversations with them. So it's not like I'm boring or arrogant, either.

As @Cremated_Spatula said, kindness is always overlooked (and from own experiences, exploited) but being a dick is normally forgiven and relished. But how come? It would seem logical people would want someone who would treat them well as opposed to fighting with them or bullying them.
Original post by Tinemither
I have done, many a time. Never with a straight response. One girl even told me she was lesbian, and the following season was dating some guy she met on the internet weeks after the friendship dissolved. He's 13 years older than her, which is weird O.O usually the 'friendzone' card is played.

I don't tend to be overly kind. I messge with people whenever they want to talk, and don't pester for a response. Could be a few days between talking with people. So it's not like I'm clingy. I'll gladly express my opinions on certain matters and make it explicitly clear where I stand in certain circumstances and am not afraid to challenge views which are outrageous or disgraceful. But i do often have really in depth conversations with them. So it's not like I'm boring or arrogant, either.

As @Cremated_Spatula said, kindness is always overlooked (and from own experiences, exploited) but being a dick is normally forgiven and relished. But how come? It would seem logical people would want someone who would treat them well as opposed to fighting with them or bullying them.

Well, kind of, I meant why is being weak or pathetically helpful/ kind seen as more of a bad trait than being a dick to someone?

But you have a good point, kindness is taken for granted mostly.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Cremated_Spatula @Tinemither

I don't mean being kind, period. I mean being *too* kind. Going out of your way for someone, being a little too eager to help out and make them feel better/more comfortable/etc. It's lovely to find a kind guy, always, I'm just saying there is such a thing as going too far with it. I wouldn't say being a dick is forgiven or relished myself, I certainly don't feel that way anyway.

All I'm saying is girls like a bit of mystery at times and if you're too friendly or willing to go out of your way for a person then there is no mystery, you make yourself too available and some women don't find that an attractive quality. It really can't be helped.
Well, kind of, I meant why is being weak or pathetically helpful/ kind seen as more of a bad trait than being a dick to someone?

But you have a good point, kindness is taken for granted mostly.

Spoiler

Nice advice CS :h: it seems like you may have had some bad experiences in the past :frown:
Original post by Katarvi
@Cremated_Spatula @Tinemither

I don't mean being kind, period. I mean being *too* kind. Going out of your way for someone, being a little too eager to help out and make them feel better/more comfortable/etc. It's lovely to find a kind guy, always, I'm just saying there is such a thing as going too far with it. I wouldn't say being a dick is forgiven or relished myself, I certainly don't feel that way anyway.

All I'm saying is girls like a bit of mystery at times and if you're too friendly or willing to go out of your way for a person then there is no mystery, you make yourself too available and some women don't find that an attractive quality. It really can't be helped.

I didn't mean just being kind either.

Mystery to me says, remain more reserved when talking (poker face) and keep more to yourself, don't always tell the truth.
Doesn't seem like very attractive qualities to me, in fact it seems very boring, I'd just assume they hated me and move on.

Dickishness is pretty subjective too :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Personality over physical appearance every time
Original post by babawunga
Nice advice CS :h: it seems like you may have had some bad experiences in the past :frown:

Reply 17
ad say around 80% personality and 20% looks
I didn't mean just being kind either.

Mystery to me says, remain more reserved when talking (poker face) and keep more to yourself, don't always tell the truth.
Doesn't seem like very attractive qualities to me, in fact it seems very boring, I'd just assume they hated me and move on.

Dickishness is pretty subjective :/

Not really remain more reserved, it's great when someone is honest and upfront about themselves and doesn't hold back (down to personal preference though of course), just don't give too much too soon. It's not something I'm very good at articulating, clearly, it's very hard to pick into words. We can't help what does or doesn't attract us, in the end.

Of course it is, as is attraction!
Original post by Katarvi
Not really remain more reserved, it's great when someone is honest and upfront about themselves and doesn't hold back (down to personal preference though of course), just don't give too much too soon. It's not something I'm very good at articulating, clearly, it's very hard to pick into words. We can't help what does or doesn't attract us, in the end.

Of course it is, as is attraction!

I wouldn't call that being mysterious, it's just not being insecure/impatient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending