The Student Room Group

I swear AS Maths compared to other AS subjects is easy

Scroll to see replies

Now that I think of it...
Original post by Student403
To be fair though, look at all the Chinese (and other east Asian countries) flocking to the UK and US for higher education :dontknow:

PRSOM ;o;
Reply 82
Original post by Zacken
I ended up with almost full UMS across my Physics AS level and I can guarantee you that I put in almost zero work, zero time and zero memorisation and knew nothing about actual physics.

i wish i could be like you ;_;

i just had parents morning...(because i board we can have parents come to visit and talk to teachers about stuff in the morning)

My teachers told my parents that i work hard but not no avail basically. Obviously most ppl would be told that need to start moving their butt and get some **** done whereas me they don't know wtf to say bc i work hard and i get poop. They can't even predict a grade for me since i can do really well in some topics but other i absolutely suck so my end of topic tests essentially have no correlation to the others...
Original post by Zacken
I ended up with almost full UMS across my Physics AS level and I can guarantee you that I put in almost zero work, zero time and zero memorisation and knew nothing about actual physics.

Omg how? Did you do AQA? When you say you knew nothing about actual physics, do you mean that you didn't understand the topics or that the syllabus doesn't teach actual physics?
Reply 84
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Omg how? Did you do AQA? When you say you knew nothing about actual physics, do you mean that you didn't understand the topics or that the syllabus doesn't teach actual physics?

Nah, Edexcel. I mean that I got the general gist from the two or three past papers I'd done for what they wanted me to say but their syllabus doesn't teach actual physics and as a result, I learnt nothing about actual physics and didn't have an in depth understanding of topics that I'd expected from a Physics course.
Reply 85
Original post by thefatone

i just had parents morning...(because i board we can have parents come to visit and talk to teachers about stuff in the morning)

My teachers told my parents that i work hard but not no avail basically. Obviously most ppl would be told that need to start moving their butt and get some **** done whereas me they don't know wtf to say bc i work hard and i get poop. They can't even predict a grade for me since i can do really well in some topics but other i absolutely suck so my end of topic tests essentially have no correlation to the others...

That sounds a bit mean, what do you think about your work ethic and your ability?
Original post by SeanFM
Depends on whether you like maths, whether you have a natural ability for it etc. For some people it may be very easy, for other it's not really how their brain works :tongue:

I would be optimistic and say half of people have a reasonable mind for maths, it's a lot greater a umber than people think. You need a mind that is patient and tolerates abstraction.

People who hate things where they cannot see the immediate use will never be mathematicians. But I would add, these tend to be the sort of people who don't appreciate academic work anwyay.

AS maths is difficult mainly if you have hangovers from secondary school maths, particularly understanding the rules of algebra, the real number system, and surds.

In my opinion mathematics education tries to cover an excessive syllabus including things like pie-charts and histograms that are superficial and unnecessary. It's ridiculous to be covering such fatuous things when many kids don't get the basics of arithmetic and algebra.
Reply 87
Original post by Zacken
That sounds a bit mean, what do you think about your work ethic and your ability?

but it's true..... i don't know if you remember but i did post discretely my physics grades and they told be that the harder i work the worse my grades got...

i don't think there's a problem with my work ethic but my ability, i think i have problems >.<

everyone around me understands stuff super quick and there me in the class being a dunce like wtf happened what step did i miss xD
for example when i first started physics i didn't understand SUVAT or any part of mechanics at all until i started doing maths mechanics. At the point where i struggled a ton with SUVAT my physics teacher asked me whether i thought this was the right course for me or not. At that moment in time i vowed i would finish this course. So here i am sucking at physics and unable to leave the course or drop it.

to add to the confusion of not being able to predict me a grade I did a test on quantum phenomena and the first time round i got the equivalent of a U and i redid the test again(different questions) and i got 16/17 almost full marks and my physics teacher is wondering how i can get the lowest grade when i do one test, but on the same topic he gives me another test and i get almost 100%
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
People find different things easy. I personally didn't do well at PE. Besides, much of it is down to good teaching. My maths improved a lot after I started watching youtube teachers.

This makes sense actually. So much of what we are realising shows that students struggle when classes move on, despite not everyone understands.

I'm guessing you watched some of these videos more than once, right?

In China and Japan, and Singapore, they have repeat the basics of concepts until everyone understands them. In the UK we don't do that. We move on, often to concepts fairly superficial and pointless (e.g. pie-charts), and leave the important stuff in the dust.
Original post by Maidenhair
This makes sense actually. So much of what we are realising shows that students struggle when classes move on, despite not everyone understands.

I'm guessing you watched some of these videos more than once, right?

In China and Japan, and Singapore, they have repeat the basics of concepts until everyone understands them. In the UK we don't do that. We move on, often to concepts fairly superficial and pointless (e.g. pie-charts), and leave the important stuff in the dust.

I generally understand things when I watch them. So no repeats. And I was only in the UK for part of my education.

But you raised some interesting points :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
That's why we have Further Maths! And if Further Maths is too easy, there's always STEP :biggrin:

True.

But I think the syllabus is too generous to those who only take single maths with the intention of studying a completely different subject at uni :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest