The Student Room Group

How many hours a week are usually required to leave uni with a very good grade?

how many hours altogether do you put into lectures+study+ everything else?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not at uni currently, but during some open days lecturers have made it clear that students are expected to work a 40 hour working week (most of which is independent study) to achieve a good grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Han-
I'm not at uni currently, but during some open days lecturers have made it clear that students are expected to work a 40 hour working week (most of which is independent study) to achieve a good grade.

What is the minimum hours I can do in a week to avoid getting kicked out over a 4 year period... do you think I could get away with 1 hour?
Reply 3
Original post by YourName___
What is the minimum hours I can do in a week to avoid getting kicked out over a 4 year period... do you think I could get away with 1 hour?

I'm not a uni student so know very little about it.. but I think an hour a week might be a smidgen insufficient :tongue:
Reply 4
you'd be kicked out if you only go for one hour of lectures a week.

then again depends on the uni
Reply 5
Original post by ssshah2
you'd be kicked out if you only go for one hour of lectures a week.then again depends on the uni

Original post by Han-
I'm not a uni student so know very little about it.. but I think an hour a week might be a smidgen insufficient :tongue:

Hahah. I meant an hour a day -- accumulating to at least 7 hr/week. I am leaving to study in the US and need to make sure I stay in the university for as long as possible while simultaneously spending the least amount of time on uni work. Don't ask why
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Hahah. I meant an hour a day -- accumulating to at least 7 hr/week. I am leaving to study in the US and need to make sure I stay in the university for as long as possible while simultaneously spending the least amount of time on uni work. Don't ask why

Oh haha fair enough! Yeah I mean it may not be advisable as such, but if you attend all your lectures then do an hour a day I'm sure you'll be alright. Maybe have a 'productive day' where you do like a four or five hours or something? Its only a day a week and it'll mean you keep on top of it. Then maybe you could take an entire day off a week too.
Reply 7
Original post by Han-
Oh haha fair enough! Yeah I mean it may not be advisable as such, but if you attend all your lectures then do an hour a day I'm sure you'll be alright. Maybe have a 'productive day' where you do like a four or five hours or something? Its only a day a week and it'll mean you keep on top of it. Then maybe you could take an entire day off a week too.

So just attending lectures alone is off the cards?

You won't get a 'very good grade' if you just attend lectures. You might scrape a pass (depending on the course) if you just regurgitated the lectures, but it won't get a you a good mark. You need to do work outside lectures too. How much will again depend on the kind of course it is, and also on factors like how efficient a worker/studier you are. But if you're talking about high grades, you'll likely need to do a few hours a day in addition to lectures & classes.
Wouldn't this really differ by course?
If you only attend lectures and do nothing else, you will absolutely not get a good grade. You would be lucky to even pass. First of all, coursework requires extensive additional work. Secondly, you will have exams to prepare for. The lecture material is only a fraction of the examinable material. If you don't have the time to take your studies seriously, don't go to university.
Reply 11

If you want a good grade, that certainly won't do it.

With A Levels, you're taught how to pass the exams. Keywords and the concepts around them when regurgitated in the right order, will get you the marks.

Uni study is completely different. Lectures will give you the basics as a framework. You then generally get a reading list and (depending on your module) some sort of assessed coursework which helps you use and build on that. Exams then cover the syllabus in a very wide sense. I've had exam questions on concepts which merited two or three sentences in my lecture notes - my ability to answer those was entirely dependent on the quality of my independent reading. You need to be much more proactive at uni.

In my first year, I set aside one lecture-free day a week, just for reading.

Original post by Student403
Wouldn't this really differ by course?

Even taking the "easiest" course possible, only attending lectures and doing nothing else would get you terrible grades.
Original post by Lawliettt
Even taking the "easiest" course possible, only attending lectures and doing nothing else would get you terrible grades.

I know :tongue: I was referring to the original question when I asked
When it comes to engineering, it sounds like it's pretty much 9-6 Monday to Friday of lectures, seminars and laboratory work, let alone independent study...
Original post by Alexion
When it comes to engineering, it sounds like it's pretty much 9-6 Monday to Friday of lectures, seminars and laboratory work, let alone independent study...

#Worthit
The only person I know who is on track to graduate with a First this summer does 12 hours a day.

I'd find that impossible myself but good on her.

And my subject is not known for being a particilarly hard one, and I'm not at a top uni either, although am at a Russell group.
Original post by Student403
#Worthit

Of course :yep:
I'm curious how many hours of study would be advisable for something like bioscience or ecology.
Original post by Alexion

In terms of a philosophy or biology degree, how much time is the minimum you can dedicate to pass or at least not get kicked out..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending