The Student Room Group

How many hours a week are usually required to leave uni with a very good grade?

Scroll to see replies

If you actually want to partake university, you have to put effort. You really don't know the amount of people who would love to go to uni..
Original post by studentfeed
If you actually want to partake university, you have to put effort. You really don't know the amount of people who would love to go to uni..

no, I am going for other reasons and have a lot of things to do that are more effective uses of my time.

This is not what the thread was about.
Original post by YourName___
In terms of a philosophy or biology degree, how much time is the minimum you can dedicate to pass or at least not get kicked out..?

:dontknow:

Why are you asking me?
Original post by Alexion
:dontknow:

Why are you asking me?

why are you on this thread...
why are you on this thread...

I gave my input, now you're being condescending because I can't answer about a specific degree type that I won't be studying?

Wooooow.
Original post by Alexion
I gave my input, now you're being condescending because I can't answer about a specific degree type that I won't be studying?

Wooooow.

aww
aww

The idiocy is real
it really depends on the course tbh
Original post by Alexion
The idiocy is real

Enough now. I do not want my thread to be derailed.
Reply 29
In terms of a philosophy or biology degree, how much time is the minimum you can dedicate to pass or at least not get kicked out..?

It greatly depends on your aptitude, so there's no way to know. Some people coast and get 2:1s, some have to slog to get thirds.

There are also other factors to consider. If it's a subject with a lot of compulsory and/or assessed lab work, then you could find yourself on campus 9-5 Mon-Fri. But even that much would depend on the individual degree course and how it's organised. Some unis have monitored attendance and if you drop below the required minimum you can be withdrawn from the course. That's a useful guide to look for when trawling online course details. Bear in mind that you can be withdrawn from any degree for "failure to engage with the course", so planning to do the bare minimum can be a risky strategy. You have to be very familiar with a uni's culture and approach before you know whether your idea of a bare minimum effort ties in with what the uni will tolerate.
Enough now. I do not want my thread to be derailed.

w/e
no, I am going for other reasons and have a lot of things to do that are more effective uses of my time.

This is not what the thread was about.

Going for other reasons? What like?

It not only depends on the course, but the institution too. Check out some unis you want to go to, have a look at the syllabus and there should be information about each module and how many contact hours are expected of you. From that, you can sort of work out how long you'll need to be in uni for each week. To do well, you'll need to put in significant amounts of your own time in. Especially 3rd year.
If you want to work the minimum number of hours, it'd be best to just go to the compulsory classes and skip the lectures. The lectures are usually useful, but would take too long for your purposes. For most modules, the assignments are only 15%, so wouldn't be worth your time. Read through the lecture notes the day before the exam and hope for the best.
Original post by MountKimbie
Going for other reasons? What like?

It not only depends on the course, but the institution too. Check out some unis you want to go to, have a look at the syllabus and there should be information about each module and how many contact hours are expected of you. From that, you can sort of work out how long you'll need to be in uni for each week. To do well, you'll need to put in significant amounts of your own time in. Especially 3rd year.

People look at university as an expensive tunnel to a high paying job when that simply isn't true. To me uni is just a back up plan, and a way to make my family happy.

My goal is to pass with the least amount of dedicated time -- time that I can redirect into something else.
People look at university as an expensive tunnel to a high paying job when that simply isn't true. To me uni is just a back up plan, and a way to make my family happy.

My goal is to pass with the least amount of dedicated time -- time that I can redirect into something else.

Your title states 'very good grade'. So I assume that a good grade is a 2:1 or 1st. If you just want to pass at 40%, not much time is needed and you could cram for your exams.

If you want it to be a back up plan, you're still going to have to do better than just a pass.
So far I've done the minimum amount of work and I'm doing just fine. Hoping to change my attitude though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by morgan8002
For most modules, the assignments are only 15%, so wouldn't be worth your time.

Careful with this strategy. At some unis, you have to pass both coursework and exams in order to pass a unit. At any uni I've been to, failing to hand in coursework would automatically result in a resubmission over the summer (if the uni allowed you to stay that long) and failure to hand in a resub would be a fail overall.

Read through the lecture notes the day before the exam and hope for the best.

Not every lecturer will make meaningful lecture notes available. I had one who happily posted lecture presentations, but they were entirely pictures with no text. Useless for revision. You'll have trouble blagging notes from coursemates - once or twice maybe, but they'll eventually get sick of doing your work for you.
Original post by Twinpeaks
The only person I know who is on track to graduate with a First this summer does 12 hours a day.

I'd find that impossible myself but good on her.

And my subject is not known for being a particilarly hard one, and I'm not at a top uni either, although am at a Russell group.

Wow 12 hours?
Original post by Alexion
When it comes to engineering, it sounds like it's pretty much 9-6 Monday to Friday of lectures, seminars and laboratory work, let alone independent study...

Same here (not engineering) but have mostly 9-4s.At the end of the day you're shattered :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending