The Student Room Group

Mphil Management Cambridge 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silvia.
I was wondering if they even sent out any rejections - everyone is either waiting or offered a place....

There is one rejection from this thread so far, and not mention to those who may also get the rejections but not in this thread, so in short I really have no idea...
Reply 201
I am currently in the MPhil in Management for the 2015/6 year. I would not choose the programme unless you are looking to spend a year at Cambridge because it's Cambridge- many of the students have struggled to find good work in competitive markets and the program is very rigorous in relation to its relatively poor placement. Feel free to ask me anything you wish and I'll be honest with you.
Original post by muffs
I am currently in the MPhil in Management for the 2015/6 year. I would not choose the programme unless you are looking to spend a year at Cambridge because it's Cambridge- many of the students have struggled to find good work in competitive markets and the program is very rigorous in relation to its relatively poor placement. Feel free to ask me anything you wish and I'll be honest with you.

Hello! I would like to ask about the programme's content in general, like the methods of teaching or it's more practical or theorical. And can you extend your opinion on its 'rigorousness'? :smile: Thank you in advance!
Original post by muffs

Do you think the two-year LSE management course is worthier then (if you know anything about that course)?
Reply 204
Original post by Londonstudent001
Do you think the two-year LSE management course is worthier then (if you know anything about that course)?

I don't know anything about that course, I am afraid I can't be of much use.
I wanted to apply for that one but had no GMAT :frown:. Heard from someone who went there last year that it's a wonderful programme.

Original post by Londonstudent001
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by miremind
Hello! I would like to ask about the programme's content in general, like the methods of teaching or it's more practical or theorical. And can you extend your opinion on its 'rigorousness'? :smile: Thank you in advance!

Content: Accounting, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Quantitative Techniques for Management, Consulting project, Organizational Behavior, Operations Management, Business Economics plus 2 electives. Electives this year included: Valuation, Human Resources, Business in the Digital Age, Supply Chain, Ethics, and a couple of others.

With the exception of a couple, the lecturers I had in undergraduate were much better than the instruction I have received for the MPhil. Many of the lecturers are lecturers who are not even teaching the MBAs. The instruction is that everything from the classroom quality to teacher quality is sub-par to the MBAs. You're paying good money, but the professors are not even the same as the MBAs. A couple of the lecturers have been downright awful and really unable to communicate in clear English.

Content: A mix of practical and theoretical. Accounting was quite practical for accounting; Business Economics, on the other hand is exclusively theoretical. It really depends on the module.

Rigour: 20% of the class fail one, two or all of finance, accounting and quant. So, the exams are actually challenging. There are plenty of projects that will keep you very busy. Attendance is taken at every class. So don't take the program unless you want a seriously challenging experience. One of the frustrating things is that students are expected to work very, very hard while the quality of instruction is relatively low.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by muffs
Content: Accounting, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Quantitative Techniques for Management, Consulting project, Organizational Behavior, Operations Management, Business Economics plus 2 electives. Electives this year included: Valuation, Human Resources, Business in the Digital Age, Supply Chain, Ethics, and a couple of others.

With the exception of a couple, the lecturers I had in undergraduate were much better than the instruction I have received for the MPhil. Many of the lecturers are lecturers who are not even teaching the MBAs. The instruction is that everything from the classroom quality to teacher quality is sub-par to the MBAs. You're paying good money, but the professors are not even the same as the MBAs. A couple of the lecturers have been downright awful and really unable to communicate in clear English.

Content: A mix of practical and theoretical. Accounting was quite practical for accounting; Business Economics, on the other hand is exclusively theoretical. It really depends on the module.

Rigour: 20% of the class fail one, two or all of finance, accounting and quant. So, the exams are actually challenging. There are plenty of projects that will keep you very busy. Attendance is taken at every class. So don't take the program unless you want a seriously challenging experience. One of the frustrating things is that students are expected to work very, very hard while the quality of instruction is relatively low.

Interesting and slightly concerning feedback to somebody thinking about applying for this course next year.

Do you mind me asking where you did your undergraduate studies?

Also which subjects do you do in which terms for the M. Phil - does it build sequentially?

Are these fail rates for your 15-16 cohort or are these figures that are bandied around by the department, how are they disclosed? Do students get the opportunity to resit?

I find it surprising that lecturers wouldn't be able to communicate in clear English - do the non-native English speakers find it difficult to understand or is it the general consensus?
(edited 8 years ago)
HI, does anyone know if I can call straight to the MPhil Management team? My scholarship board is asking me about the application, i'm afraid if i don't give them a reply they will not provide me with the scholarship :frown:
Original post by r0xybrat
HI, does anyone know if I can call straight to the MPhil Management team? My scholarship board is asking me about the application, i'm afraid if i don't give them a reply they will not provide me with the scholarship :frown:

Sorry I don't know the contact details... Is that a scholarship for another course you have applied for? I would suggest you accept it now.. don't pass up the scholarship. Is there a financial penalty if you pull out of the scholarship in the next month after you hear from Cambridge?
[QUOTE=hockeyswim;63444439]Sorry I don't know the contact details... Is that a scholarship for another course you have applied for? I would suggest you accept it now.. don't pass up the scholarship. Is there a financial penalty if you pull out of the scholarship in the next month after you hear from Cambridge?

Hmm it's some other scholarship that covers my entire tuition fee and allowance fee for my postgraduate. I've to let them know asap otherwise they can't process and I might not even get the scholarship even though I have a place in LSE already

Someone has posted their contact details here. Check p.10!
Received a conditional offer last week after being in BoGS for two weeks. Extremely thrilled! Hope to become classmates with you guys cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Motherodragons94
Interesting and slightly concerning feedback to somebody thinking about applying for this course next year.

Also which subjects do you do in which terms for the M. Phil - does it build sequentially?

Are these fail rates for your 15-16 cohort or are these figures that are bandied around by the department, how are they disclosed? Do students get the opportunity to resit?

I find it surprising that lecturers wouldn't be able to communicate in clear English - do the non-native English speakers find it difficult to understand or is it the general consensus?

I am concerned about this as well. Hope muffs replies soon.
[QUOTE=nittygritty;63445863]Received a conditional offer last week after being in BoGS for two weeks. Extremely thrilled! Hope to become classmates with you guys cheers :biggrin:

Congrats!! When did you apply?
Congrats!! When did you apply?

Thank you! :biggrin: I applied around late October last year - the wait was killing me literally, so hang in there you guys!!
Original post by nittygritty
Received a conditional offer last week after being in BoGS for two weeks. Extremely thrilled! Hope to become classmates with you guys cheers :biggrin:

Hey Congratulations!

Do you know why you were in BofGS for so long?

What sort of conditions did they impose on your offer?
Hey Congratulations!

Do you know why you were in BofGS for so long?

What sort of conditions did they impose on your offer?

Hey thanks! I guess this is the 'peak season' where majority of the offers across all disciplines are given out simultaneously so it could get quite taxing on the administrative staff, at least that's what I think of it :smile:

They asked for a 1.1, to sign a financial undertaking form, and also to have a college membership (which is guaranteed). :smile:
Original post by nittygritty
Hey thanks! I guess this is the 'peak season' where majority of the offers across all disciplines are given out simultaneously so it could get quite taxing on the administrative staff, at least that's what I think of it :smile:

They asked for a 1.1, to sign a financial undertaking form, and also to have a college membership (which is guaranteed). :smile:

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your profile? :smile:
Any news on colleges?
Reply 219

I won't say where I did my undergraduate studies but will say that I completed them at either Cambridge or an equivalent top-notch university.

Yes the courses are well-constructed in that they do build.
Michaelmas term: Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Quantitative Techniques, Marketing
Lent term: Finance, Business Economics, Strategy
Easter term: consulting project, Operations management

Numbers are disclosed by the department. But I have spoken with enough people who failed Quant last term where these seem plausible. I think the statistic is that 20% fail one of the three together collectively, however, not for each class.

One reason to consider the programme would be if you studied a non-economics, non-engineering/maths degree that is typically undesirable for financial positions OR you attended a non-target undergrad ((i.e. plenty of Classicists at Cambridge get excellent City jobs). It can be a useful conversion degree in that case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending