The Student Room Group

Maths graphs

why does putting an equation into completed square form show the vertex of the graph?

So for example:
f(x) = x2 + 4x + 3
In completed square form is x = -2 +- root1 (I think)
And from this the vertex is (-2,-1)

But why? :s-smilie:
Original post by surina16
why does putting an equation into completed square form show the vertex of the graph?

So for example:
f(x) = x2 + 4x + 3

I am afraid you didn't complete the square properly.
the ans is ((x+2)^2) -1
Reply 2

So for example:
f(x) = x2 + 4x + 3

I'll complete the square correctly for you: x2+4x+3=(x+2)21x^2 + 4x + 3 = (x+2)^2 - 1.

Now, since you know that square quantities are always 0\geq 0 then the minimum value of this expression occurs when the squared term is zero.

This means that min(x2+4x+3)=min((x+2)21)\min(x^2 + 4x + 3) = \min((x+2)^2 - 1) occurs precisely when (x+2)2=0x=2(x+2)^2 = 0 \Rightarrow x = -2.

The minimum value of function at the point x=2x=-2 is min(x2+4x+3)=min((x+2)21)=01=1\min (x^2 + 4x + 3) = \min((x+2)^2 -1 ) = 0-1 = -1.
As Azhar said, the square wasn't completed properly. But imagine you had the graph y = f(x) where f(x) = x2

Have you learnt graph translations?

What if we had y = f(x+2)? This means f(x+2) = (x+2)2 !

What does f(x+2) mean from the f(x) graph? It means that the graph is shifted 2 units to the left.

So what if we plonk on your -1?

y = f(x+2) - 1

this means we get y = (x+2)2 - 1, which happens to be your graph.

What does a translation of y = f(x+2) - 1 represent? It represents shifting to the left 2 units, as we saw earlier. But NOW we have this -1 outside. So what happens if we take away 1 from all f(x+2) values? The graph shifts down by 1 unit.

So in your example, the y = x2 graph shifted 2 units left and 1 unit down where the original vertex was the origin. What happens to the point (0, 0) when shifted 2 left and 1 down? It becomes (-2, -1)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
I am afraid you didn't complete the square properly.
the ans is ((x+2)^2) -1

How did you get that? :frown: this is what I did:

x^2 + 4x + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 -4 + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 - 1 = 0
(x+2)^2 = 1
x+2 = +-root 1
x= -2 +- root 1

which bit was wrong? :colondollar:
Reply 5

x^2 + 4x + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 -4 + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 - 1 = 0
(x+2)^2 = 1
x+2 = +-root 1
x= -2 +- root 1

That's not the vertex, that's you finding the roots of the quadratic. Oh, and 1=1\sqrt{1} = 1.

Also: moved to maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Student403

Damn, you win this one. At least our explanations are substantially different to warrant the ninja. :biggrin:
I am afraid you didn't complete the square properly.the ans is ((x+2)^2) -1

As Azhar said, the square wasn't completed properly. But imagine you had the graph y = f(x) where f(x) = x2

Have you learnt graph translations?

What if we had y = f(x+2)? This means f(x+2) = (x+2)2 !

What does f(x+2) mean from the f(x) graph? It means that the graph is shifted 2 units to the left.

So what if we plonk on your -1?

y = f(x+2) - 1

this means we get y = (x+2)2 - 1, which happens to be your graph.

What does a translation of y = f(x+2) - 1 represent? It represents shifting to the left 2 units, as we saw earlier. But NOW we have this -1 outside. So what happens if we take away 1 from all f(x+2) values? The graph shifts down by 1 unit.

So in your example, the y = x2 graph shifted 2 units left and 1 unit down where the original vertex was the origin. What happens to the point (0, 0) when shifted 2 left and 1 down? It becomes (-2, -1)

Original post by Zacken
I'll complete the square correctly for you: x2+4x+3=(x+2)21x^2 + 4x + 3 = (x+2)^2 - 1.

Now, since you know that square quantities are always 0\geq 0 then the minimum value of this expression occurs when the squared term is zero.

This means that min(x2+4x+3)=min((x+2)21)\min(x^2 + 4x + 3) = \min((x+2)^2 - 1) occurs precisely when (x+2)2=0x=2(x+2)^2 = 0 \Rightarrow x = -2.

The minimum value of function at the point x=2x=-2 is min(x2+4x+3)=min((x+2)21)=01=1\min (x^2 + 4x + 3) = \min((x+2)^2 -1 ) = 0-1 = -1.

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you everyone :h:
Original post by Zacken
Damn, you win this one. At least our explanations are substantially different to warrant the ninja. :biggrin:

7.5/11 :rofl:

And yeah! I think yours is a lot simpler though :lol: And ofc in maths simpler = better
Reply 9
7.5/11 :rofl:

And yeah! I think yours is a lot simpler though :lol: And ofc in maths simpler = better

Daaamn, getting there. K : D ratio :rofl:

Nah, I think yours is just as nice (if not nicer), transformations can be a very elegant thing!
Original post by Zacken
Daaamn, getting there. K : D ratio :rofl:

Nah, I think yours is just as nice (if not nicer), transformations can be a very elegant thing!

K/D omg lol

Thanks! I do love translations because they seem so intuitive to me :dontknow:
Original post by Zacken
That's not the vertex, that's you finding the roots of the quadratic. Oh, and 1=1\sqrt{1} = 1.

Also: moved to maths.

Oops :biggrin: Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Zacken

lol, you guys :biggrin:
Reply 13
Oops :biggrin: Thanks for your help :smile:

Remember: f(x)=ax2+bx+cf(x) = ax^2 + bx + c has the vertex at (b2a,f(b2a))\displaystyle \left(-\frac{b}{2a}, f\left(-\frac{b}{2a}\right)\right) but the roots at x=b±b24ac2a\displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} - they are two different things.

No problem.

x^2 + 4x + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 -4 + 3 = 0
(x+2)^2 - 1 = 0
(x+2)^2 = 1
x+2 = +-root 1
x= -2 +- root 1

remember,
y=x^2 the vertex is (0,0)
applying transformation
x+2 shifts x to the -ve x axis by 2 units.
y=(x)^2 -1
here we shif the Y by 1 in the -ve y axis.
so, the result is (x-2)^2 -1 the vertex is now -2,1
the vertex is shifted in the -x axis by 2 units and 1 unit in the -y direction,

hence the vertex is (-2,-1)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
lol, you guys :biggrin:

:hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest