The Student Room Group

Can I still get an A* in AQA English Language?

Hello, fellow students (idk how to start these kinda threads is that too formal or)

So today I asked with my (extremely condescending, unsubtle and easily offended) English teacher about my Controlled Assessment grade and she said, across the board, I've got a B. She won't allow any more rewriting or adding, so I was very upset at the news because I had difficulty doing the coursework to my best ability (e.g. not taking it seriously in Year 10; lots of other coursework to juggle with constant school testing and so on).

I was wondering if it's still possible to get an A* in the GCSE and what grade I would have to get in the exam, which is 60% of the qualification.

Original post by iE2000
So today I asked with my (extremely condescending, unsubtle and easily offended) English teacher about my Controlled Assessment grade and she said, across the board, I've got a B.

Do you know what mark you got?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by surina16
Do you know what mark you got?
No, she didn't tell me :/. I would ask her tomorrow - but I can't. She'll just be like how it's my fault for not finishing my coursework and I had chances and she doesn't have time etc etc.
If you get full UMS in your summer exam, you need a mid B in your coursework in order to get an A*. Hope this helps!!
Original post by iE2000
No, she didn't tell me :/. I would ask her tomorrow - but I can't. She'll just be like how it's my fault for not finishing my coursework and I had chances and she doesn't have time etc etc.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

- To get an A*, you need to have 270 UMS overall.
- The max you can get from the CA is 120 UMS
- The max you can get from the exam is 180 UMS
(This does not necessarily mean you have to get full marks)

Judging by the 2015 boundaries...

If you got 56 (the lowest B) you would get 84 UMS
So to get an A*, you would need 186 UMS in the exam, which unfortunately is not possible.
If you get full UMS in the exam, your CA mark would have to be 61/80 (90 UMS) which is a mid-B.
And obviously if you got a high B you would need less than full UMS in the exam.

Basically it completely depends, so maybe find out what kind of B it was? :smile:
Original post by xtremespec
If you get full UMS in your summer exam, you need a mid B in your coursework in order to get an A*. Hope this helps!!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums- To get an A*, you need to have 270 UMS overall.- The max you can get from the CA is 120 UMS- The max you can get from the exam is 180 UMS(This does not necessarily mean you have to get full marks)Judging by the 2015 boundaries...If you got 56 (the lowest B) you would get 84 UMSSo to get an A*, you would need 186 UMS in the exam, which unfortunately is not possible.If you get full UMS in the exam, your CA mark would have to be 61/80 (90 UMS) which is a mid-B.And obviously if you got a high B you would need less than full UMS in the exam.Basically it completely depends, so maybe find out what kind of B it was? :smile:

Thank you guys for your helpful replies! At the moment, I get low A*'s (raw mark) on the exam papers so maybe there's hope for me.

surina16, I've emailed her about it to avoid a face-to-face conversation but I guarantee she'll still bring it up in class ._. sigh. I'll get back to you once she's replied! :smile:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

- To get an A*, you need to have 270 UMS overall.
- The max you can get from the CA is 120 UMS
- The max you can get from the exam is 180 UMS
(This does not necessarily mean you have to get full marks)

Judging by the 2015 boundaries...

If you got 56 (the lowest B) you would get 84 UMS
So to get an A*, you would need 186 UMS in the exam, which unfortunately is not possible.
If you get full UMS in the exam, your CA mark would have to be 61/80 (90 UMS) which is a mid-B.
And obviously if you got a high B you would need less than full UMS in the exam.

Basically it completely depends, so maybe find out what kind of B it was? :smile:

She said it was 62/80 :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iE2000
She said it was 62/80 :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite late, but hey! I got 63/80 and I am aiming for an A*. My coursework was impotent, largely my teacher's marking and my lack of motivation played a part. Your just on the boundary, and thus you need full UMS on the exam so you'll need 62/80 (or over) in the exam - you need to lose 18 marks. Somewhat, this is difficult and thus you need to do as much exam practise from now.
Original post by Oblivion99
Quite late, but hey! I got 63/80 and I am aiming for an A*. My coursework was impotent, largely my teacher's marking and my lack of motivation played a part. Your just on the boundary, and thus you need full UMS on the exam so you'll need 62/80 (or over) in the exam - you need to lose 18 marks. Somewhat, this is difficult and thus you need to do as much exam practise from now.

No, your answer wasn't late at all - in fact, it was just in time now that it's the first day back from Easter break. Thank you so much!! I'll definitely work towards that full UMS, as I have been getting high As/low A*s at present. I wish you all the best for your results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iE2000
No, your answer wasn't late at all - in fact, it was just in time now that it's the first day back from Easter break. Thank you so much!! I'll definitely work towards that full UMS, as I have been getting high As/low A*s at present. I wish you all the best for your results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! You too :smile: REMEMBER, exam practice!
I'm doing English not English Lang so my coursework is out of 90 not 80 and I've got 74/90, what do I need in my exam to get an A/A* (if possible) :s-smilie: coursework is 40% and exam is 60%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending