The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Leeds vs York

Poll

Leeds Or Nottingham

(Sorry to add to the pile of these threads)

My options have come down to Nottingham, Leeds and York. (Got rid of Bristol and Southampton).

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses/List/10007795FT-G400,10007154FT-G400,10007167FT-UUBCOMSCOM3~UBCOMSCOM3

I'm looking to pick my firm and insurance in the next week or two but I'm really stuck.

After attending open days/interviews Nottingham was definitely my favourite - the city seemed really nice and busy and the course seemed great. The only downside is the Unistats scores aren't great. Is there anyone on here who attends Nottingham who can vouch?

Leeds comes first in the league tables but the open day I attended really gave the department a bad rep, the lecturers seemed out of touch and the facilities seemed out-dated. Other than that, the accommodation was amazing and the city is ideal.

The course at York as well as the whole campus seemed really fresh and new the teaching seemed ideal but the major downside was that I'm not a big fan of campus Universities that much.

I know this is a bit bland but if anyone has anything to say about any of these then I'd really appreciate it!
Reply 1
Notts is a semi-target University for Investment Banking. It is highly prestigious in that aspect and so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on unistats/rankings.

Employment prospects are largely similar across all three and I would just decide based on which U. had the best 'feel' to you, somewhere that you would enjoy three to four years of.
Original post by TrojanH
Notts is a semi-target University for Investment Banking. It is highly prestigious in that aspect and so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on unistats/rankings.

Employment prospects are largely similar across all three and I would just decide based on which U. had the best 'feel' to you, somewhere that you would enjoy three to four years of.

Decided to scrap York so now it's between UoN and Leeds. UoN still seems like it has better teaching but Leeds seems like a nicer city...
What do you mean by semi-target?
Reply 3
May I ask why you've scrapped Bristol and Southampton...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
May I ask why you've scrapped Bristol and Southampton...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure!

Bristol was the highest I applied to at A*AA and was definitely on par with Nottingham and Leeds as a first choice. They changed me from Comp Sci to Elec Eng & Comp Sci for some unknown reason - possibly too heavily applied for? Who knows... But anyway I went to the interview and got an offer for AAA. I called up and asked if I'd be able to change back to Comp Sci if I really didn't like it and they basically said "if you get A*AA then you have a slight chance but no guarantees". I didn't wanna be stuck with stupid debt for a course I don't wanna do so I thought I may as well drop it and avoid the risk.

The course at Soton seemed really really good and the facilities seemed amazing but the city itself seemed a bit dead and not as lively as places like Bristol, Nott or Leeds. If you're going for purely academic reasons then Soton would be fine!
Reply 5
Original post by zackdove
Sure!

Bristol was the highest I applied to at A*AA and was definitely on par with Nottingham and Leeds as a first choice. They changed me from Comp Sci to Elec Eng & Comp Sci for some unknown reason - possibly too heavily applied for? Who knows... But anyway I went to the interview and got an offer for AAA. I called up and asked if I'd be able to change back to Comp Sci if I really didn't like it and they basically said "if you get A*AA then you have a slight chance but no guarantees". I didn't wanna be stuck with stupid debt for a course I don't wanna do so I thought I may as well drop it and avoid the risk.

The course at Soton seemed really really good and the facilities seemed amazing but the city itself seemed a bit dead and not as lively as places like Bristol, Nott or Leeds. If you're going for purely academic reasons then Soton would be fine!

I see why now.
Shame for bristol, I would've firmed them otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
I see why now.
Shame for bristol, I would've firmed them otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's kinda frustrating but oh well. A*AA is pretty hard anyway.
Reply 7
Yeah it's kinda frustrating but oh well. A*AA is pretty hard anyway.

May be unconventional but insure Bristol and if you get A*AA you could see if they'd take you on for CompSci

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
May be unconventional but insure Bristol and if you get A*AA you could see if they'd take you on for CompSci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh that's actually a really good shout!
Lets say I did that and got A*AA, what would I have to do in order to cancel my firm?
Reply 9
Oooh that's actually a really good shout!
Lets say I did that and got A*AA, what would I have to do in order to cancel my firm?

I'm not sure but I think you'd just have to ring up both uni's and personally sort it out but I'm sure it's doable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Decided to scrap York so now it's between UoN and Leeds. UoN still seems like it has better teaching but Leeds seems like a nicer city...
What do you mean by semi-target?

Some (not all) investment banks love to recruit Notts students. The ones that do, give presentations, networking sessions and workshops to the students involved in the finance society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in Leeds, so I'm a bit biased towards it (and the Comp Sci lecturer I know there seems nice), but if you prefer Nottingham I'd go for that. Leeds is maybe a bit better for computer science (which I applied for without considering Leeds as I didn't want to stay at home), but there isn't much in it. It's a shame Bristol changed your course - are you doing an odd combination of subjects or something?
Original post by Princepieman
Some (not all) investment banks love to recruit Notts students. The ones that do, give presentations, networking sessions and workshops to the students involved in the finance society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm that's definitely something to take into account.
Are you a student there at the moment?
Hmmm that's definitely something to take into account.
Are you a student there at the moment?

No, but I have several friends there atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sweeneyrod
I live in Leeds, so I'm a bit biased towards it (and the Comp Sci lecturer I know there seems nice), but if you prefer Nottingham I'd go for that. Leeds is maybe a bit better for computer science (which I applied for without considering Leeds as I didn't want to stay at home), but there isn't much in it. It's a shame Bristol changed your course - are you doing an odd combination of subjects or something?

Did you go to both the Leeds and Notts open days? I thought that the Leeds one made the department/course look terrible compared to Nottingham...
What would you say are the pro's and con's of Leeds?

Yeah it does suck that they did that. I'm doing Maths, Phys and Chem but did A2 Comp a year early and only got a C... Maybe that's why?
No, but I have several friends there atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do they think of halls/sports/the student union as well as the course itself?
Unistats puts the teaching quality pretty low compared to other places.
What do they think of halls/sports/the student union as well as the course itself?
Unistats puts the teaching quality pretty low compared to other places.

Well, one of my buds doing Econ just got elected as President of the finance soc - he's obviously enjoyed it enough to want to run it. I stayed at his halls on Saturday and by the looks of things the students there seem really welcoming, smart but also quite laid back. Halls are alright, plenty of amenities on-site for the self-catered halls (they feel a bit like their own campus) and the catered on-campus halls seem lively by the looks of my FB wall. Generally, I think the advice is to opt for catered halls as they're considered more social but you can't go wrong with either.

My Econ friend also plays a varsity sport which he enjoys. He regularly competes with other universities in the BUCS league. There are plenty of varsity and intramural teams to join.

Friends doing CS have really enjoyed the course. They say it's challenging but the seminars and tutorials also add an extra element support. It's a pretty customisable course that you can mould to your preferences in the later years (with regards to module choice).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you go to both the Leeds and Notts open days? I thought that the Leeds one made the department/course look terrible compared to Nottingham...
What would you say are the pro's and con's of Leeds?

Yeah it does suck that they did that. I'm doing Maths, Phys and Chem but did A2 Comp a year early and only got a C... Maybe that's why?

I went to the Leeds open day in year 11, so I don't really remember it much, but I do vaguely remember that it wasn't that impressive. Didn't go to Nottingham.

Leeds is a great city IMO, big enough that everyone can find stuff to do but not crazily huge like London. It seems like quite a studenty city, and all the students I know seem to like it. The university is nice, not a campus but still with everything in one place. Academically, I think the maths/computer science departments are strong in logic, if you're interested in that. Can't really think of any cons - the weather's not always great I guess? (and it's near Bradford!)
Well, one of my buds doing Econ just got elected as President of the finance soc - he's obviously enjoyed it enough to want to run it. I stayed at his halls on Saturday and by the looks of things the students there seem really welcoming, smart but also quite laid back. Halls are alright, plenty of amenities on-site for the self-catered halls (they feel a bit like their own campus) and the catered on-campus halls seem lively by the looks of my FB wall. Generally, I think the advice is to opt for catered halls as they're considered more social but you can't go wrong with either.

My Econ friend also plays a varsity sport which he enjoys. He regularly competes with other universities in the BUCS league. There are plenty of varsity and intramural teams to join.

Friends doing CS have really enjoyed the course. They say it's challenging but the seminars and tutorials also add an extra element support. It's a pretty customisable course that you can mould to your preferences in the later years (with regards to module choice).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ this is such a tough decision but you've definitely swayed me towards Nottingham now, cheers for the brilliant advice!

Now I just have to come to a decision about Bristol... I think I'll speak to my teachers and find out about the reality of getting A*AA...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending