The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

How did people find the sections?
Section 3 was 'ok', but section 1 and 2 were horrible, didnt even get to finish section 1
Well that was interesting. Section one and two were better than I thought. Fell asleep before section three hehe. But I doubt I did well enough, ah well looks like it's going to be a September sitting for round two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my god that went awful. I woke up at 3am so I was shattered before the exam even started. So going to stay somewhere in London for the Sept exam.

Section 1 - Some of the extracts were awful and vague. I doubt I got more than 50% of the questions right.

Section 2 - the quotes were terrible. I felt like I didn't have enough to work with so I just wrote ******** or 1 hour.

Section 3 - I drank a second red bull during the break and still found myself fighting the urge to sleep. And I swear there wasn't as much organic chem as there has been during practice papers!

And I was sitting right at the front and 2 of the invigilators kept whispering to each other during S1 until I gave them my death stare. But it was so annoying.
Hi all,

Just wanted to say Hi and join the discussion.
I decided to try for medicine on... Tuesday or Wednesday this week.
I'm going to apply for GAMSAT for September.
Doing lots of research for resources and panicking slightly... (about work experience more than exam actually).

Well done to everyone who did the exam today! Sorry it went to terribly paniking_and_not_revising - I am sure everyone found it as tricky as you so I hope you're pleasantly surprised with the results.

I have no science background (bar GCSEs of course) so will be getting started with AS and A Level on my own...

Anyway glad to 'meet' you guys. Any tips on whether Gold Standard textbook is worth the 100+ quid please advise!
Reply 265
Original post by Es0phagus
Does anyone remember one of the last Qs relating to odd-numbered alkanes having lower melting points relative to even-numbered alkanes? I know the answer and I think I got it wrong, oh dear.

Ugh I gave up by then lol. I was thinking about another q I got wrong and realised it just after we finished 😖 Never mind, we shouldn't let it torture us. It's all done now, enjoy the freedommmm 😁👍🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faaiza30

Anyway glad to 'meet' you guys. Any tips on whether Gold Standard textbook is worth the 100+ quid please advise!
I have never used their books, but if their Youtube explanatory videos on the answers to the practise tests are anything to go by, I would say yes it is worth it.
Original post by Faaiza30
Hi all,

Just wanted to say Hi and join the discussion.
I decided to try for medicine on... Tuesday or Wednesday this week.
I'm going to apply for GAMSAT for September.
Doing lots of research for resources and panicking slightly... (about work experience more than exam actually).

Well done to everyone who did the exam today! Sorry it went to terribly paniking_and_not_revising - I am sure everyone found it as tricky as you so I hope you're pleasantly surprised with the results.

I have no science background (bar GCSEs of course) so will be getting started with AS and A Level on my own...

I've heard mixed things about the Gold Standard book. Although if you have the luxury of spare cash, go for it! Do lots of practice papers for GAMSAT and don't rely too much on knowledge. It's nothing like an A level exam. Your ability to interpret given info and produce answers quickly and accurately is the name of the game. I had a painful reminder of that today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Used only the gold standard plus the DVDs and YouTube vids. Got enough for an interview and an offer of the first go. So I don't have anything bad to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks lyra, esophagus and delphi for your replies! Very helpful. Can't say I have 'spare cash' (who has that?!) but I'd like the best chance otherwise will kick myself. I haven't done science a-levels so it's all new. I intend on buying the acer guides. I've got the griffith's review which is great.

congratulations lyra on an offer first time round! I'll keep you in mind for motivation.
Delphi, I hope you're pleasantly surprised with your results, fingers crossed for you. Good tip re: knowldge.
Es0, thanks for the youtube tip. apparently Khan academy too is ace.
That exam was so disappointing, there was no physical chemistry at all and barely any organic chemistry (which I studied). Instead most of the questions were bio and were not the type that could be answered with knowledge...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anillatoo
That exam was so disappointing, there was no physical chemistry at all and barely any organic chemistry (which I studied). Instead most of the questions were bio and were not the type that could be answered with knowledge...

It was very heavy on reasoning and deduction that's for sure. I also felt there were a lot of physics question, maybe just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
It was very heavy on reasoning and deduction that's for sure. I also felt there were a lot of physics question, maybe just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not just you- it was SO physics heavy!

Section 1 was very difficult, and section 3 was... odd.

At least the grades are normally distributed, so we don't have to worry about the potentially harder exam lowering our chances of getting cut off scores.... right?
Original post by pharma21

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I was the only one who felt like there was too much chemistry. I went through the paper and crossed out the questions that were physics so I knew to do them at the end and I swear I skipped a huge portion of the exam because I finished all the other questions and had like an hour to spare to do the physics stuff.

And there was so much biology and it was really just graphs and diagrams. All that biology studying was a waste of time
If this was the first time I took the gamsat, I'd feel like I've been robbed. The test was so far apart from practise papers. I can assure you that the sept paper was little like this, it had its fair balance of favourite topics such as redox, Gibbs free energy etc. Whereas this year I felt if I hadn't done any revision, I'd have gotten the same grade anyway.
Original post by puddleduck
Not just you- it was SO physics heavy!

Section 1 was very difficult, and section 3 was... odd.

At least the grades are normally distributed, so we don't have to worry about the potentially harder exam lowering our chances of getting cut off scores.... right?

I found section 1 easier than section 3 though...and the essay topics were better than in September
Original post by Es0phagus
If this was the first time I took the gamsat, I'd feel like I've been robbed. The test was so far apart from practise papers. I can assure you that the sept paper was little like this, it had its fair balance of favourite topics such as redox, Gibbs free energy etc. Whereas this year I felt if I hadn't done any revision, I'd have gotten the same grade anyway.

First time I did the gamsat but it was definitely different from all the practice ones. My revision felt wasted as you didn't really need any science knowledge to answer a vast majority of the questions. I felt the essays were better, but again I guess that's subjective. Section one I thought had a lot more lengthy passages compared to the practice papers. I normally finish section one with an hour to spare but yesterday I barely had ten minutes left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thing is, the whole 'it was more reasoning than knowledge' rhetoric I also saw after the last GAMSAT. Nothing's changed. Truth is, ACER's practice papers are semi-helpful but misleading. As are other practice papers. It IS reasoning > knowledge every time.

I've learnt the lesson... I'll be focusing way less on sharpening my knowledge for the retake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Thing is, the whole 'it was more reasoning than knowledge' rhetoric I also saw after the last GAMSAT. Nothing's changed. Truth is, ACER's practice papers are semi-helpful but misleading. As are other practice papers. It IS reasoning > knowledge every time.

I've learnt the lesson... I'll be focusing way less on sharpening my knowledge for the retake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. How did you find the essays? Hated section a...
Original post by NafNaf39
True. How did you find the essays? Hated section a...

Jumping in here hahah, but I agree- section A was extremely difficult! Personally I found the second essay okay, but the first one was soooooo crap. I still don't actually know how to define political correctness, oh dear :P

And erm.... answers-wise, did anyone find that there was a crazy overrepresentation of D and underrepresentation of C in section A? >_<
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending