The Student Room Group

what terrorists want

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Legendary Quest
I agree with your theory. It seems logical that they have a long term goal that requires isolating Muslim communities from Western society. Members of these isolated pockets will then feel more inclined to turn to a more radical interpretation of their religion as they will think that this is the only way to protect themselves, their people, and their belief.
yes, setting up the Caliphate in Syria/Iraq is the first aim, then, probably, Lebanon/Jordan so as to be able to attack Israel. But then ? the only way to set foot in Europe is via setting up a base somewhere : so, to radicalise Muslim communities in the West is, in my view, one of the main objectives.
Reply 21
Original post by Joel 96
Islam is a broken ideology.
You have the ones in the East who are radical and expansionist, and you have the ones in the West who still follow the fundamentals, but believe in free will and the right to liberty. I'm sure that there's many in the East who want to come West, and perhaps there's even some in the West who want to go East.
I don't believe ISIS can isolate the Western Muslims, simply because many of them came West to get away from the radical side of their religion. I can't speak for all of them, but it tells you something when many are trying to come West to get away from it all.
I agree. I know enough Muslims living in Brussels to realise that ISIS's plans have little chance of succeeding.
However, who knows what would happen if other bloody attacks happened ? would the democratic, tolerant fabric of Western societies withstand repeated bloody attacks over the next few years ?

In my view, yes, but let's hope that we won't be actually tested.

Best
Original post by mariachi
clearly, the objective of the Brussels attackers is not to "establish shariah" in Belgium. There is absolutely no chance for that.

Also, while there are a few Belgian military planes based in Jordan, Belgium has not been active flying missions in Syria for over a year. If anything, there is now talk of restarting these missions in retaliation for the attacks. So, which are the terrorists' objectives ?

ISIS knows that the first and main result of the attacks will be to terrorise people, to heighten tensions between the general public and Muslim communities in the West, to exacerbate the refugee crisis. More in general, it will weaken social cohesion in the West, encourage xenophobic and racist movements etc etc.

I am not claiming that there is some criminal ISIS mastermind working out such plans in detail, but this is the main effect of the attacks.

Best

I thought it was pretty clear the terrorist wants vengeance over the arrests of the mastermind of paris attack. Hence the timing. Simple as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by al_94
I blocked this guy but terrorist want nothing different from what our governments want and that is mass hysteria and destruction.
on the contrary

the last things that our governments want is mass hysteria. As a matter of fact, the buzzword now in Brussels is "back to work and business as usual. Don't give terrorists the satisfaction of changing our lifestyle". The city is "almost" back to normal : only the airport and a few tube stations are still closed

however, security measures will be strengthened all over Europe : and this has nothing to do with mass hysteria, and everything with a rational response to terrorism

best
Reply 24
Original post by HucktheForde
I thought it was pretty clear the terrorist wants vengeance over the arrests of the mastermind of paris attack. Hence the timing. Simple as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
attacks like those which happened yesterday do require some minimal planning. I don't think you can organise them over a weekend
The terrorists want a divided world.Strength through unity!Love trumps hate!Love is our greatest weapon!
Reply 26
Original post by whorace
We need to stop talking about terrorists as though they all share the same goal. They do not, while they always consistently terrorise in order to promote the goal everyone has their own individual reasons. .
yes, each individual has his/her own story and motivations

but now, "rebels without a cause" have found a cause. An "Islamic" one (unfortunately for Muslims)
attacks like those which happened yesterday do require some minimal planning. I don't think you can organise them over a weekend

So they looked into the time machine and saw that bugger will be arrested and planned an attack a month or more before.

Its not a coincidence the attack happens after his arrest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by SHBKhan
All I want to say is that these terror groups have nothing do with my religion Islam. And I'll keep saying this because it's the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
while I respect your opinion, I disagree

in my view, ISIS is very much part of the Islamic "family album". Quite simply, it is a different, an extreme/archaic interpretation of Islam as compared to the one held by most Muslims

However, at the end of the day, it is not up to us non-Muslims to decide which is the correct interpretation of Islam and which isn't. For one thing, we do not have the necessary information and knowledge. In fact for us - as non-Muslims- there is not one "correct" interpretation of Islam only. There may be lots of them.

In other words, it is mainly Muslims that have to marginalise and denounce the terrorists

best
Reply 29
Original post by ckingalt
Islamic terrorists want to threaten or attack western secularists values. Islamic communities are already isolated by their own design without the terrorists help. Average muslims are not the terrorists, but average muslims make up the communities that harbor the terrorists.
I think that you should nuance this opinion

There are different models of "integration" . French-style assimilation, UK style "multicultularism" (now, largely abandoned as a political theory), Belgian-style neglect ...

From my experience, Muslims communities are, in fact,. slowly integrating into "mainstream" society. But it will take time, and the massive inflow of immigrants will further slow down the process.

There is, e.g. in Belgium, a sort of "reservoir" of unemployed, marginalised, "angry young men", many of them in the past already involved in petty criminality. They are protected by family ties and clannish solidarity, even more than by religious support. In fact, sometimes the attackers are members of the same families, (typically, brothers)

These people present the strongest risks of radicalisation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by HucktheForde
So they looked into the time machine and saw that bugger will be arrested and planned an attack a month or more before.

Its not a coincidence the attack happens after his arrest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, perhaps they decided to attack because they knew that security forces were on their trail - so, they may have somehow tightened their schedule because of Friday's arrests
well, perhaps they decided to attack because they knew that security forces were on their trail - so, they may have somehow tightened their schedule because of Friday's arrests

maybe
I agree. I know enough Muslims living in Brussels to realise that ISIS's plans have little chance of succeeding.
However, who knows what would happen if other bloody attacks happened ? would the democratic, tolerant fabric of Western societies withstand repeated bloody attacks over the next few years ?

In my view, yes, but let's hope that we won't be actually tested.

Best

People are certainly becoming less tolerant to Islam. Don't know if you heard about the #StopIslam hashtag that surfaced shortly after the Brussels attacks? We would have never seen anything like that last year, I can tell you that.
Tensions are high and Europe is becoming more and more destabilized.
Does the EU contribute to the destabilization? I think so.
Reply 33
Original post by Joel 96
People are certainly becoming less tolerant to Islam. Don't know if you heard about the #StopIslam hashtag that surfaced shortly after the Brussels attacks? We would have never seen anything like that last year, I can tell you that.
Tensions are high and Europe is becoming more and more destabilized.
Does the EU contribute to the destabilization? I think so.
I agree, except with your last remark

The EU is just what the 28 Governments want it to be : they hold the effective political power. How could it contribute to destabilisation ?

if anytrhing, the EU is ineffective in the present situation, because each Member State follows its national agenda, and does not want to transfer sufficient powers to the EU.

best
Reply 34
x

I agree. I was watching BBC last night and it was very tragic, in two ways: a) the Brussels attacks in itself and b) the way media unknowingly continues to terrorize civilians. Yes we can have news that says Brussels was attacked by coward terrorists but no we can't have 2 hours or nonstop news showing us bloody images of victims. IMO enough is enough. It seems like media is giving terrorists a hand in instilling terrorism among the innocent. Just my opinion
Reply 35
Original post by brent_
I agree. I was watching BBC last night and it was very tragic, in two ways: a) the Brussels attacks in itself and b) the way media unknowingly continues to terrorize civilians. Yes we can have news that says Brussels was attacked by coward terrorists but no we can't have 2 hours or nonstop news showing us bloody images of victims. IMO enough is enough. It seems like media is giving terrorists a hand in instilling terrorism among the innocent. Just my opinion
in view of the seriousness of the attacks, of the justified fears of similar attacks spreading around, it is unavoidable to respond to the public's need for information in the way we are witnessing

however, I noticed that, e.g. the reaction of Belgian authorities is very different as compared to what happened at the time of the November Paris attacks : at that moment, the alert level was escalated to maximum, and Brussels was effectively blocked for four days

this time, today already schools are open, communications are working, traffic is normal and everyone is at work. Only the airport and some tube stations are (quite logically) still closed

so, while the television is still broadcasting updates and discussions about the attacks, practical information for the public etc, beyond the one-minute silence at 12 noon today in memory of the victims, the atmosphere is, decidedly, to "back to business as usual"

however, let's hope not quite "as usual" : Islamic radicalisation was widely neglected in the past. This should change.
hmm
I think everything is not so simple as it seems to be(
Original post by SHBKhan
All I want to say is that these terror groups have nothing do with my religion Islam. And I'll keep saying this because it's the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

By "my religion" do you mean your interpretation of your religion?
Original post by Reformed
tbh i think you are over analysing. islamic terrorists just want noteriety. they want people talking about islam, because it makes them feel important and imagine islam is a major political movement. when of course it is not and has little legitimate importance beyond its influence on international terrorism. at the end of the day islam has always been about territory and power - all islamist groups IS included want the levantine areas and israeli held territory to be seizied by islamic armies as it was psot mohammeds time.
i also feel many of these groups still hold resentment that the 'west' defeated the islamic empire and created its own, and perhaps this is simply sour grapes jabs

Then why only target average Joe's and not go after the call me Daves?
Reply 39
I agree, except with your last remark

The EU is just what the 28 Governments want it to be : they hold the effective political power. How could it contribute to destabilisation ?

if anytrhing, the EU is ineffective in the present situation, because each Member State follows its national agenda, and does not want to transfer sufficient powers to the EU.

best

As that would be highly undemocratic indeed...And since you seem quite the avid believer in conspiracy theories, maybe we could even argue that this entire (unwelcomed) muslim exodus has been encouraged by Merkel in order to further advance the EU's expansion. The recent call for a "common european army" to patrol the southern borders comes to mind. Heck this entire call for "national quotas" sounds like a plea to defer national sovereignty to Brussels. The EU is rotten and the sooner it fails the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending