The Student Room Group

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

What stance do you take on this? :holmes:
Fear of embarassment and failure probably
Perfectionism.

We like to think we don't need to make the mistake to learn and we can do it all perfectly first time.
Mistakes still aren't good things, we learn from them so we don't make them again, we shouldn't the afraid to make mistakes as long as our intentions are good but you still need to be cautious so you don't hurt anyone or yourself.
Because we will be judged on that mistake.
That's precisely why I believe it's best to be bold and go for it because you've got nothing to lose :biggrin:

But of course you have to be careful when a mistake could have an adverse affect on other people
(edited 8 years ago)
We learn from our mistakes, but that doesn't mean mistakes are good. They're still bad, however they allow us to learn how not to make the same mistakes again.

Better than that is just to not make any mistakes in the first place.
Reply 7
Original post by shadowdweller

Because you'll end up regretting it.
Reply 8
Some mistakes are so serious we would rather not make them to begin with.
Reply 9
Are people in fact afraid to make mistakes?

Surely it's only in public that they may well be afraid to make mistakes.

In private we are free to make countless mistakes.

The only thing is,these private mistakes only teach us relatively minor things eg how to bake a cake,how to orgasm quietly when hosesharing,to remember to remove washing up before peeing in the sink in the dark when drunk,to not go 2 years without cleaning the microwave lest a swarm of flies take up residence and a whole host of similar domestic lessons.

The really important stuff by contrast necessarily involves a degree of humiliation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

People fear others seeing them make the mistakes, they don't fear the mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because some mistakes have consequences we'd rather never have looming over us. Sure we learn from mistakes, but learning from it doesn't make it all okay or make the consequences of the mistakes go away.
A lot of everyday "mistakes" aren't mistakes at all but bad decisions that were made intentionally without any regard for consequences. This is especially apparent when it comes to relationships.
People like to reclassify bad decisions as mistakes because it absolves them of any responsibility and doing so often encourages them to make the same bad decision again.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not

I don't think generally people are afraid of making mistakes. I am not, at least. I like making them. The problem is that this is not really so easy to do in modern life. For instance, it's good to make mistakes in mocks and things (although your teachers will likely give you stick for making mistakes), but not in the real exams. And also in the workplace mistakes are often punished not celebrated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending