The Student Room Group

Why do people think Muslim's don't do enough against ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mil88

Exactly, so how is the religion at fault!

You mean aside from its misogyny, its condoning of slavery, its hatred of apostates and atheists, its hatred of homosexuality, its aggressive nature, its backward-looking morality?
Reply 81
Original post by KimKallstrom
As a society we have completely ostracised groups like this and Combat 18 etc. We treat them with the total contempt they deserve. We recognised that their poison was something in our midst we had to work to banish. None of this "not me, boss. They're not white people" BS we hear all too often from Muslims.

As a society we have done a million times more to try to extinguish groups like KKK, Neo Nazis etc than the Muslim communities in Europe has done to flush out ISIS and other harmful extremists.....which is basically nothing but shifting blame, pretending it's got nothing to do with them and then calling everyone a bigot who questions this.

This is so not true... You think thousands of syrian anti ISIS muslims are dieing in the middle east supporting ISIS? 4REAL? Ok muslims in this country don't satisfy your thirst for muslim hate but why should they pander to the tastes of white middle class christians its not necessary. They know and you should know what side they are on when they are the peoples suffering from the brunt of this war. Peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Again, it doesn't. Think before you post. If the Bible contains even more hatred than the Koran, why do you never see a Christian killing someone for burning a Bible, but you see lots of Moslems attacking supposed Koran damagers, apostates and blasphemers?

Thank you. And, again, Islam does NOT allow the killing of others. It's a blatant violation. People who kill in the name of Islam are not Muslims, because IT IS AGAINST ISLAM TO KILL. The only thing I can agree with is the violent misinterpretation of Islam, but the Quran is no less and no more violent (in fact, it's much less violent) than what is mentioned in the Bible. ISIS is a terrorist group. That's it. It's not a Muslim terrorist group - it's just a terrorist group, because it doesn't even reflect what most Muslims believe.
Because they don't. The left has ignored people's concerns and this has allowed the far right UKIPY types to lead the conversation and exploit peoples fears.

The Muslim community needs to accept the problems within it and tackle it head on, not pretend it doesn't exist. Because when we pretend a problem doesn't exist, the only people who talk about it are the far right and they attract otherwise reasonable people.

On one side we have people denying there is a problem, on the other we have people exploiting it for political gain, the truth lies in the middle.

The left and the Muslim community need to lead the conversation, recognize that there is a problem and address it. Because if we don't, it will be the far right and racists who lead it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
As a society we have completely ostracised groups like this and Combat 18 etc. We treat them with the total contempt they deserve. We recognised that their poison was something in our midst we had to work to banish. None of this "not me, boss. They're not white people" BS we hear all too often from Muslims.

As a society we have done a million times more to try to extinguish groups like KKK, Neo Nazis etc than the Muslim communities in Europe has done to flush out ISIS and other harmful extremists.....which is basically nothing but shifting blame, pretending it's got nothing to do with them and then calling everyone a bigot who questions this.

Edit: your post is actually a good example of the problem. Instead of thinking about what can be done to help our society deal with this issue, your instinct is whataboutery and deflection. Thanks for your contribution to our cause, friend.

How can this be true if most of the victims of ISIS are Muslims themselves and people celebrated Osama's death, Muslims alike? What?
Original post by OneTwoRangi
Thank you. And, again, Islam does NOT allow the killing of others. It's a blatant violation. People who kill in the name of Islam are not Muslims, because IT IS AGAINST ISLAM TO KILL.

Citation needed?
Original post by Trapz99
But why aren't Muslims doing enough to oppose ISIS? I don't see a lot of Muslims protesting in the streets against ISIS and showing their support for British military action against the terrorists.

Your logic is flawed. You protest against a government. A state. A democracy. That exerts pressure to bring about change. Protesting against ISIS on the streets of London does jack s**t to stop ISIS.

Secondly, not supporting ISIS doesn't mean you have to therefore support the British armed forces. You can condemn ISIS and the current British foreign policy at the same time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Qur’an 6:151 says, “and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.”

Abu Bakr al-Siddiq, the first Caliph, gave these instructions to his armies: “I instruct you in ten matters: Do not kill women, children, the old, or the infirm; do not cut down fruit-bearing trees; do not destroy any town . . .
People really do think that Muslims in the UK are some super warriors who will go to Syria and kill ISIS
Qur’an 6:151 says, “and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.”

What about the souls that god has not made sacrosanct (you know, the atheists)? And what is meant by lawfully? By slitting their throats without stunning?
I wouldn't say majority of normal Muslims are supportive of the ISIS. However, I'm a Muslim and I must say that Muslim countries, especially, Saudi Arabia and a few other Arab countries aren't doing much or let's say didn't do much to stop the spread of this barbaric group when they could. This is the failure of some Arab Muslim countries. And I mean not the people of those countries, rather the authorities of those countries.
Original post by mkap
Seriously why do people don't think Muslims don't do enough about ISIS? you just think that we sit back and watch the news and agree with ISIS 100%. well guess what we don't.

Majority of Muslims don't agree with ISIS and their dumb extreme actions does affect us Muslims. We cant even get on buses or public transport without people looking at us in disgust or verbally abuse us and act like we are the ones who go blowing up people.

/rant over :getmecoat:

I think it is the combination of fear and the undifferenciated "them" we hypothesize about from ignorance. It may take a generation, but this hostility will pass. There's always something.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Your logic is flawed. You protest against a government. A state. A democracy. That exerts pressure to bring about change. Protesting against ISIS on the streets of London does jack s**t to stop ISIS.

Secondly, not supporting ISIS doesn't mean you have to therefore support the British armed forces. You can condemn ISIS and the current British foreign policy at the same time.

Ok. Happy Easter!
Thank you. And, again, Islam does NOT allow the killing of others. It's a blatant violation. People who kill in the name of Islam are not Muslims, because IT IS AGAINST ISLAM TO KILL.

What absolute rubbish. Of course it isn't. Yelling it all in capitals doesn't make it true.

And yet again we get the No True Muslim fallacy, as I commented on further up the thread.
The Muslim people/citizens aren't at fault, these governments are. I don't understand why everyone seems to think these Muslims are Martin Luther King characters just sitting around doing nothing. Have any of these US leaders or Christians done anything to stop the KKK? Would it be correct to assume that the KKK represents the Christian belief? So why on earth is ISIS the responsibility of regular Muslim people?
I'm sorry but I'm finding it very different to connect to this 'True Muslim fallacy' because I've studied Islam since I was five years old and I cannot see what your seeing.
@mkap think this thread was calling for arguments lol
Original post by Good bloke
You mean aside from its misogyny, its condoning of slavery, its hatred of apostates and atheists, its hatred of homosexuality, its aggressive nature, its backward-looking morality?

Ha! That's interesting, why are you raising the issue of its morality? Correct me if I am wrong, but morality is subjective isn't? For atheists (if you aren't then inform me), you cannot criticize someone else's morality as you believe it's subjective.

Also, I would like evidence for your claims made, if that's not too much to ask.
Reply 98
Original post by Thomb
Why don't white christians do enough to put a stop to the KKK!

The KKK has almost disappeared. Stupid comparison.
Reply 99
Original post by Josb
The KKK has almost disappeared. Stupid comparison.

There seem to be some lurking around somewhere????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending