The Student Room Group

Will EU students have to pay international fees if the UK leaves the EU?

As the title says. I'm interested in knowing what people think will happen to EU students if the UK leaves the EU in terms of tuition fees primarily bit also in all other regards. Like would we need a study visa and work permits ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I'd say that it would definitely be the case that EU students would need to pay international fee's if the UK leaves the European Union.

The reason for this is because if the UK leaves the EU, then the UK would not be subjugated to EU laws and conditions.

All EU nationals within the European Economic Area I believe must be treated the same.
Reply 2
Fair enough. Do you think they'd be harsh enough to make current students start paying international fees too? And would that mean that there will be no more student loan for other Europeans too?
Reply 3
Original post by Theworriedone
Fair enough. Do you think they'd be harsh enough to make current students start paying international fees too? And would that mean that there will be no more student loan for other Europeans too?

Hi there.

I think theoretically if you started a university course before the UK left the European Union, then you would not pay international fee's - it would still be European Fee's.

So current students would pay EU fee's even after the UK left.

As for student loans and etc. I'm unsure. I'm Scottish, so the educational system is different than that of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Looking at past student finance changes, they have only ever been applied to new students who have not yet started their course. In addition, such a change would cause additional friction with the rest of the EU, and it would leave universities with a large whole in their budget when students were forced to drop out.

It should also be noted that there are no immediate plans for a referendum on EU membership.

I think you're safe :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
Looking at past student finance changes, they have only ever been applied to new students who have not yet started their course. In addition, such a change would cause additional friction with the rest of the EU, and it would leave universities with a large whole in their budget when students were forced to drop out.

It should also be noted that there are no immediate plans for a referendum on EU membership.

I think you're safe :wink:

Sounds good. I'm just trying to figure out what I'll do if I don't get into my firm. Wait a year or just take my insurance? The current climate in Britain seems quite hostile in regards to the EU ( never knew why...personally think it's a bit of a superiority complex á la "we were a big empire we can manage on our own" ) and with elections coming up I'm a little worried that it all will happen quite quickly. I'd be forced to study in Germany which will be a little hard cause I've learned most educational stuff in English.

Thanks anyways both of you :smile:
Reply 6
Sounds good. I'm just trying to figure out what I'll do if I don't get into my firm. Wait a year or just take my insurance? The current climate in Britain seems quite hostile in regards to the EU ( never knew why...personally think it's a bit of a superiority complex á la "we were a big empire we can manage on our own" ) and with elections coming up I'm a little worried that it all will happen quite quickly. I'd be forced to study in Germany which will be a little hard cause I've learned most educational stuff in English.

The only election result that could credibly lead to a referendum would be an outright victory for the Conservatives, which appears highly, highly unlikely. Even it it did happen, they'd then not hold the referendum until 2018 - if they keep there word, otherwise it could be later or never. Then there has to be a Yes vote. If all that happens, then it'd still take a couple of years for the formalities, so there's no chance of the UK leaving Europe this decade really. Theoretically they could then withdraw finance from existing students, but in practice as outlined above that's highly unlikely. In conclusion: don't worry, you're safe.

Britain is somewhat hostile to Europe, and indeed when you listen to people talk, most don't think of Britain as being part of the European continent ("I'm going to Europe" - well aren't you already there; "the Europeans" - of whom I am not one, apparently).

However a referendum would be needed for the UK to leave the EU, because there has already been a referendum that kept us in the EU. As CLS94 says, the only way that a referendum would occur would be in a outright win for the Conservatives (or UKIP!). Current polls indicate that if an election was called tomorrow, Labour would get 10% more votes than the Conservatives. Though the Conservatives are currently in power, they are in coalition with the pro-European Lib Dem party, so to try and bring about a referendum now would cause the government to collapse.

In addition, if we look at the Scottish independence referendum, it has been a very long time in discussions, and an almost two year gap between the announcement of a referendum and the actual referendum.

I honestly don't see the UK leaving the EU this decade, let alone during your degree.
Reply 8
are you all happy having an educational system where just a few pocketss can achieve? or the education should be for everybody?
Reply 9
Why should our tax payers fund the rest if the world Crik? If they can't afford international fees they can go to uni in any other EU country or indeed their own like most British students do.
Original post by crik555
are you all happy having an educational system where just a few pocketss can achieve? or the education should be for everybody?

If your talking about private schools i understand, if your talking about uni, we all get a student loan. (mostly)

The fact is many international students come to the UK go uni getting a loan, after their degree they go home and refuse to pay the loan in the safety of their own borders.
Reply 11
Probably, one thing is clear is that ERASMUS would be gone
Original post by wildrover
Why should our tax payers fund the rest if the world Crik? If they can't afford international fees they can go to uni in any other EU country or indeed their own like most British students do.

You do realise that we have to pay that money back?
What on earth makes you lot think the promised referendum will be about LEAVING the EU?
i bet it will be just about reducing some ties.
Reply 14
Hello everybody, I am resuming this post because I would say it is quite interesting. What do you guys think about it? I am quite worried...
Reply 15
Original post by LoKKeR
Hello everybody, I am resuming this post because I would say it is quite interesting. What do you guys think about it? I am quite worried...

As an future EU student myself who will start a degree in 2017 (deferred entry), I'm quite worried about this too.

Is there anyone who could provide some updated information on the whole situation?
Reply 16
Yes. They won't be able to leach of the British taxpayer anymore. If they want a British education they're going to have to pay for it. Good.
Original post by Howard
Yes. They won't be able to leach of the British taxpayer anymore. If they want a British education they're going to have to pay for it. Good.

I actually doubt they cause much harm to us economically. The key factor is that they don't get maintenance loans or grants, so for starters we give them less money than a British student and they will of course in all likelihood pay. More importantly, they're using their own money to live off and generating economic activity in the process.
Original post by cazzem
As an future EU student myself who will start a degree in 2017 (deferred entry), I'm quite worried about this too.

Is there anyone who could provide some updated information on the whole situation?

Highly unlikley to affect you because any negotiations on exit could take 2-3 years, then there will be transitional arrangements so you arent prejudiced anyway.

Will things change after? it all depends what they negotiate. UK students who study in he EU will also be affected. Some sort of reciprical agreements are likely to continue, but dont panic and wait to see. We might not leave.
Hi, I'm also starting my course this year and I'm pretty worried.

I believe that the UK will not leave the EU immediately after the referendum, but how long can it take? Didn't Cameron say to leave before the end of 2017?
I'm really getting anxious now, because if the UK does leave the EU, the student finance for EU students may be cut off completely, which would mean I won't be able to continue my studies as I cannot pay the tuition fees myself. I just hope I won't be affected as a student who started their course before the UK leaving the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending