The Student Room Group

nearly a month left,need help

Hi guys.Its nearly April.Once its April,we'll have our first Maths exam.I wanna do a course in Economics,and it needs a B in Maths.Could you tell me,is it too late now to revise or not,and can i get a B?I got a C on my last mock,and that was with revising with videos only(not past papers or practise questions)

Thank u.

A level choices: Economics,Health and Social Care,I.C.T
Reply 1
Your alevel choice is weak. Ditch health and social care and do maths if you want to get into a decent uni.
Reply 2
Thanks but is there any tips for maths to get to a grade B?
Original post by chikane
Your alevel choice is weak. Ditch health and social care and do maths if you want to get into a decent uni.
Reply 3
Original post by AGBF
Thanks but is there any tips for maths to get to a grade B?

How come you aren't doing any past papers? It will show you what you need to work on and improve.

Also studying with a brainy classmate will work.

If you revise a bit each day you should be fine for your exam but you need to do past paper.
Reply 4
Original post by AGBF
Hi guys.Its nearly April.Once its April,we'll have our first Maths exam.I wanna do a course in Economics,and it needs a B in Maths.Could you tell me,is it too late now to revise or not,and can i get a B?I got a C on my last mock,and that was with revising with videos only(not past papers or practise questions)

Thank u.

A level choices: Economics,Health and Social Care,I.C.T

I don't think many uni's offer Economics courses without a Maths at a level.

In terms of revision, work out what topics you're struggling on and do two a day practise questions. Do not revise topics you already know.

Good luck in your exam
As the other posters have said, you really need to do past paper questions. Go through a full paper in exam conditions and see what topics you struggle with. Do this for both the calc & non-calc papers.

Once you've done that and found what you struggle with, do at least 2 questions a day on these topics. I'd also recommend trying to do at least 1 calculator and 1 non-calculator paper per week. Dip into other exam boards if you need it. Whilst I did my GCSEs, I completed every paper on my exam board (and repeated a couple), and it helped boost my grades immensely.

It's all well and good going over only the bits you struggle on, but you need to make sure you're well balanced and can still do the questions you think you're okay with. This is why I recommend a paper a week - it'll pick up on your weaknesses, tell you your improvements and also allows you to see your overall progression.

Also, as said before, i'd maybe reconsider your A-level choices if you can. If you feel like you can keep up with 4 subjects, i'd say keep your health and social care and pick up maths. If not, then i'd drop the H&S for mathematics. You'll be a much stronger candidate for an economics degree with A-level maths, as opposed to health and social. However, Health and social is an interesting subject in my opinion, so if you can, i'd do both.

Best of luck with your exams!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by backtraced
As the other posters have said, you really need to do past paper questions. Go through a full paper in exam conditions and see what topics you struggle with. Do this for both the calc & non-calc papers.

Once you've done that and found what you struggle with, do at least 2 questions a day on these topics. I'd also recommend trying to do at least 1 calculator and 1 non-calculator paper per week. Dip into other exam boards if you need it. Whilst I did my GCSEs, I completed every paper on my exam board (and repeated a couple), and it helped boost my grades immensely.

It's all well and good going over only the bits you struggle on, but you need to make sure you're well balanced and can still do the questions you think you're okay with. This is why I recommend a paper a week - it'll pick up on your weaknesses, tell you your improvements and also allows you to see your overall progression.

Also, as said before, i'd maybe reconsider your A-level choices if you can. If you feel like you can keep up with 4 subjects, i'd say keep your health and social care and pick up maths. If not, then i'd drop the H&S for mathematics. You'll be a much stronger candidate for an economics degree with A-level maths, as opposed to health and social. However, Health and social is an interesting subject in my opinion, so if you can, i'd do both.

Best of luck with your exams!

Thanks.what did u get for ur maths gcse and a level choices of urs?

Thanks everyone else!
Original post by AGBF
Thanks.what did u get for ur maths gcse and a level choices of urs?

Thanks everyone else!

You're welcome! I came out with an A overall, a few marks from an A*. I had the opportunity to resit for the A* as I took my maths exam in march, but I decided against it so I could focus on my other GCSEs. Hard work pays off!

As for my A-Level choices, I have had quite a pick and mix of subjects. I'm currently in year 14 as I applied for a competitive uni course and didnt get in last year, so i'm reapplying through ucas/my sixth form this year. But here's a list of the subjects i've done exams in:

Year 12: Biology, Health and Social Care, Maths, Further Maths
Year 13: Biology, Health and Social Care, Maths
Year 14: Health and Social Care (redoing some coursework to boost my grade), Mathematics (Redoing the year 12 exams to push up my grade a bit) and Applied Science (just to fill in my time table a bit).

I know a few people who are applying/have applied to economics or economics/business related courses, and from what I know, maths or science based subjects really helped them out. :smile: However, the best way to find out what you need for an Economics course is to look at a few university websites. Try looking at places you may be potentially interested in going to, and see what they need. It might be useful to look to see if there is any relevant work experience you can build up for it. It never hurts to start early!

Quick Reply

Latest