The Student Room Group

I got a CCJ for not paying my uni fee

Hi, i started my uni in wolverhampton in 2020 year and i applied for sfe and they said the checks are still going, so i attended the uni, started studying. Not once been at uni, because of covid restrictions. Always online, while i was there i was dealing with my sfe application and after 2 months of studying they said i am not eligible. I appealed and it was unsuccessful. Now three years later i am receiving a letter saying i have to pay nearly 10k for something that I didn’t use or attend properly, i left after 2 months of studies. Has anyone been in this situation? What can i do with debt collectors?
Original post by Shakh_nextdoor
Hi, i started my uni in wolverhampton in 2020 year and i applied for sfe and they said the checks are still going, so i attended the uni, started studying. Not once been at uni, because of covid restrictions. Always online, while i was there i was dealing with my sfe application and after 2 months of studying they said i am not eligible. I appealed and it was unsuccessful. Now three years later i am receiving a letter saying i have to pay nearly 10k for something that I didn’t use or attend properly, i left after 2 months of studies. Has anyone been in this situation? What can i do with debt collectors?

Did you officially withdraw from your university after two months?
Original post by normaw
Did you officially withdraw from your university after two months?

Officially no, i wrote a letter to admissions that i am leaving.
Original post by Shakh_nextdoor
Officially no, i wrote a letter to admissions that i am leaving.

My concerns from what you've written:

You enrolled on the course

You engaged with content, (not for the whole academic year)

You notified the dept of your intent to leave, but never completed the formal withdrawal process, (so you were likely enrolled for the whole year until you failed to reinroll for the next one)

You ignored subsequent comunications from the uni about the unpaid invoice, (or you didn't receive them by virtue of not notifying them of any change in address, a uni wouldn't just move to a CCJ without trying to resolve it with you)

If a debt collection agency has not gotten involved, you best bet is to contact the uni (fees/finance/collections team) with a suitable apology and providing an email trail of when you notified them about leaving the course. Hopefully they will reduce the amount owed to that period only, and you can then arrange a payment plan.
I was under the impression that you had to go to court to have a ccj :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending