The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SA-1
What does family bring? How highly do people here rate family?

@fallen_acorns @swirly @sr90 @bammy jastard 27 @Mad Vlad

Particularly interested in your views

Family is everything to me.

At the end of my life, when I look back on what Ive done, its unlikely that I will have made a huge difference to the world. Maybe I can say I started a company, made some money, lived in a nice house, travelled, had fun etc.

But all of that would pale in comparison to looking back and saying that I have raised a great family.. seeing children, grandchildren neices/nephews all doing well etc.

Getting married changed the way I think quite a bit - its not just me now, or what I want, but my family.. and each decision I make is for all of us.

All of this is no more obvious then now, as I find myself half the world away from my family, for an extended period of years. I have more money now, a better lifestyle, better job, but without the family side of life - its all worthless.
Hi, want to weigh in on this. Try not to fall down the path of seeing women as one night stands, been there, biggest mistake of my life. Ended up ****ing up the relationship with the girl I loved because I was too ****ed up in the head and hadn't emotionally matured.

In short, even if it is a risk , it is worth it. Tell her you love her, marry her, have babies. It's simple. Don't be a ****ing loser like me.
Imo rap music is sh*t.
2 hours ago woke up and couldnt get back to sleep

put The Terminal on (@Rk2k14 go watch it, beauts movie) hoping to doze off within 10 minutes and ended up watching the whole thing, and now the suns out ffs
Reply 1304
1459495101289.jpg
Everyone knows the 2 best rappers in the game rn are MattyB and that "watch me whip" guy. Absolute fire from MattyB week in week out, no way Eminem was spitting bars that good at his age :colone:

KANYE WEST Verified account ‏@kanyewest What do you mean by @JustinBieber was my favorite song of 2015

@Real Friends @difeo
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1307
Original post by sevva888
Hi, want to weigh in on this. Try not to fall down the path of seeing women as one night stands, been there, biggest mistake of my life. Ended up ****ing up the relationship with the girl I loved because I was too ****ed up in the head and hadn't emotionally matured.

In short, even if it is a risk , it is worth it. Tell her you love her, marry her, have babies. It's simple. Don't be a ****ing loser like me.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Sometimes a bit of fun is good when you on a dry spell but when you find the right girl don't do the ons thing.
Reply 1308
@Real Friends
Calling me out?
How do people know that they've met their "soulmate?" Is it just a case of who's the most convenient, or who's the best fit out of the women you know? Seems to me like people psychologically bully themselves into thinking they're with their perfect spouse, because there could be millions of better men/women out there. I know I'm stating the obvious but it's just something that came to mind.
Original post by BeFoUr
How do people know that they've met their "soulmate?" Is it just a case of who's the most convenient, or who's the best fit out of the women you know? Seems to me like people psychologically bully themselves into thinking they're with their perfect spouse, because there could be millions of better men/women out there. I know I'm stating the obvious but it's just something that came to mind.

Pretty much this. Summed it up well with the 'psychologically bullying' ourselves part, we like to convince ourselves that everything is fine because we find it hard to deal with anything which deviates from the norm, hence why people like to hear bad news before good. There's billions of other people, the odds of anyone finding their 'soul mate' or the perfect partner is practically nil.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeFoUr

The world soulmate is fairy tale enough. Its all convenience as you've said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

After a while it just becomes Stockholm syndrome tbh
Can confirm all of the above are long time single.

However, there's no such thing as soul mate, it's a matter of one of the dozens of right people at the right time.
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

The world soulmate

^it wasn't a criticism, the very nature of life dictates that and it applies to many aspects of life, not just the premise of love. Whilst I don't think it's Stockholm Syndrome as swirly suggested, there is elements of truth to it. There's generally two camps when it comes to this issue (which is what I'd want to discuss further):

1. Love comes first, and you develop into soul mates as you understand each other and their needs, and accept their shortcomings better than anyone else

2. Soulmates are brought together by fate; this negates my argument of being together for convenience, and this person always comes into your life at some point (importantly, it doesn't always mean that you end up permanently together with said person).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Can confirm all of the above are long time single.

However, there's no such thing as soul mate, it's a matter of one of the dozens of right people at the right time.

So basically you agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
So basically you agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you minus the Stockholm syndrome analogy and psychological bullying aspect of soul mate.
My thoughts on soul mates are pretty well summed up by tim:

[video="youtube;IeZMIgheZro"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZMIgheZro[/video]
And one for Lucio:

[video="youtube;YcLAJbvwNQU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLAJbvwNQU[/video]
Original post by BeFoUr

2. Soulmates are brought together by fate; this negates my argument of being together for convenience, and this person always comes into your life at some point (importantly, it doesn't always mean that you end up permanently together with said person).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I never used to believe what you are saying, but it happened to me: "Soulmates are brought together by fate; this negates my argument of being together for convenience, and this person always comes into your life at some point"
All I am going to say is all of the coincidences don't exist for nothing, if it is meant to be it is meant to be. The universe moves to bring both of you together. Even if you break up, for better or worse the feelings never fully go away because at one point you felt joint at the hip.
For example sharing a birthday within one day of each other? We didn't know when we started dating.
All of the little things that happen which don't make sense, the almost telepathic understanding you have with each other.

You just accept that you are not together anymore and in my solace I hope she finds happiness and peace. I will miss her until the day I die though, it's like finding a part of yourself and being so happy ... then it's like death when it ends. It's extreme, it doesn't make sense, but that is what falling in love is. It's not meant to make sense. I am of a mixed background, part of it Chinese, and this idea has always been passed down generation by generation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate

Latest