The Student Room Group

French University, English Jobs

Hey, ermm so basically I want to go to Montpellier medicine school in France because it's one of the oldest medicine schools and it's very very cheap.
But my main worry is can I still work in England if I go to a French university? Also, what if the French qualification isn't well known in England? (I didn't even know about Montpellier until last year LOL so that's my thought behind it)
Original post by _lewiscwli
Hey, ermm so basically I want to go to Montpellier medicine school in France because it's one of the oldest medicine schools and it's very very cheap.
But my main worry is can I still work in England if I go to a French university? Also, what if the French qualification isn't well known in England? (I didn't even know about Montpellier until last year LOL so that's my thought behind it)

It's an EU medical degree, so it's fine. Are you fluent in French now, following on from your thread several months ago? :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you fully researched the French medical system? You know that a lot of people are allowed to attempt first year, but then only the top X% (I forget, but it's really quite small) of students are allowed to proceed from first year into second year? Basically getting a place for first year absolutely does not guarantee progression to second year, even if you pass exams. Tough system.
Reply 3
Yeah, French medical school is brutal.

My dad teaches English as a foreign language and has taught French doctors before. They let you retake first year as many times as you like, but only the top 15% or so progress onto second year. As a result there's an incredibly aggressive and back-stabby environment. These doctors described how people resitting first year would go through the freshers halls where other medical student lived and be loud and keep them up so they couldn't study. And people would have to sleep all night in the labs protecting their projects otherwise other students would sabotage them. It's not a system I would be keen to jump into
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
It's an EU medical degree, so it's fine. Are you fluent in French now, following on from your thread several months ago? :wink:

Oui XDD
Reply 5
Original post by Ghotay
Yeah, French medical school is brutal.

My dad teaches English as a foreign language and has taught French doctors before. They let you retake first year as many times as you like, but only the top 15% or so progress onto second year. As a result there's an incredibly aggressive and back-stabby environment. These doctors described how people resitting first year would go through the freshers halls where other medical student lived and be loud and keep them up so they couldn't study. And people would have to sleep all night in the labs protecting their projects otherwise other students would sabotage them. It's not a system I would be keen to jump into

oh no LOL that sounds really bad omds
would I be better off going to Oxford or Cambridge or something?
Reply 6
Original post by junior.doctor
Have you fully researched the French medical system? You know that a lot of people are allowed to attempt first year, but then only the top X% (I forget, but it's really quite small) of students are allowed to proceed from first year into second year? Basically getting a place for first year absolutely does not guarantee progression to second year, even if you pass exams. Tough system.

rip omds I don't think I'll be in that "x%", is the universities in France very £££££ tho because if I'm gonna retake the first year, I'm gonna be skint af
oh no LOL that sounds really bad omds
would I be better off going to Oxford or Cambridge or something?

You were literally told all of this several months ago :rolleyes:

Why are you so into the idea of going to an ancient university anyway? It makes no difference for medicine...
rip omds I don't think I'll be in that "x%", is the universities in France very £££££ tho because if I'm gonna retake the first year, I'm gonna be skint af

What I have worked out from your posts so far:

[1] You say that this particular French university is cheap and that seems to be one of your main motivating factors for choosing it - but you're now asking me how much it is and if it's expensive. I don't know how much it costs. This was supposedly something that you knew.

[2] You don't seem to have done much research into the French medical school system. As has already been said, most most people have to repeat first year at least once, often twice, often never getting any further than first year - even though they passed all the exams. You have to be top of the top to get through to second year. There's no guarantee that even if you repeat first year you'll get through after that.

[3] Not having French as a near-native language will put you at a severe disadvantage with point 2 above. I have done A-level French. I have practiced medicine for 3 years in a country where I only spoke French / African languages. During that time I also spoke French at home with my housemate. I have no French background and started French aged 11 like most other people. I certainly wouldn't have felt confident taking on a medical degree in French straight after A-level. Even now, with my years of extra experience in medical French, it still wouldn't be a walk in the park.

[4] If you think you're on target to get grades that would allow you to apply to UK medical schools, then this seems a far more sensible option. Especially given you're not a native French speaker.

[5] You really really need to do some proper research so you know what you're letting yourself in for if you apply to France.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending