The Student Room Group

Have you ever considered cheating in your upcoming A-Level Exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noara
Never ever. Cheating is for the weak!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or in real life where it's also known as cunning :p: Whilst I've never cheated it's simply worth mentioning that for those with aptitude and a drive to be successful in a field unrelated to their current studies, the academic requirements are simply a boost and a means to an end.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oops, I forget that you can download loads of apps on graphicals. My friend was showing me these apps that can do symbolic stuff (which is banned)! You could also basically write your own app to recall a lot of data.

Oh yeah we had all sorts, I even had Pokemon yellow :smile: I'm pretty sure a friend of mine currently at Imperial did actually program it to store his own data, although he didn't need to use it for exams. Dude learned Further Maths and Further Additional on his own over the summer and was already at an A* level in October :colonhash:
I think I would be too busy trying solve every question before time finishes rather than trying to cheat plus it's really foolish...
Lol everyones considered it but everyone knows it aint worth it
Reply 24
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Or in real life where it's also known as cunning :p: Whilst I've never cheated it's simply worth mentioning that for those with aptitude and a drive to be successful in a field unrelated to their current studies, the academic requirements are simply a boost and a means to an end.

Regardless of whether or not they are the same thing, I reckon that none of those can get you to the top, as they are both just different forms of deceiving. When you are cheating, you are simply taking the easy weak way out which is not even worth the risk that comes with it. You might get better marks than what you deserve but it will always be there in the back of your mind that you cheated, sabotaging your confidence eventually. Cheating will never beat hard work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Noara
Regardless of whether or not they are the same thing, I reckon that none of those can get you to the top, as they are both just different forms of deceiving. When you are cheating, you are simply taking the easy weak way out which is not even worth the risk that comes with it. You might get better marks than what you deserve but it will always be there in the back of your mind that you cheated, sabotaging your confidence eventually. Cheating will never beat hard work.

Well that's certainly possibly for many, but it depends on the individuals morals. To a lot of vegans murdering animals for human consumption should be making most people feel guilty, but we don't. Why? By and large we hold a different sense of morality and don't perceive it as wrong. If someone is willing to cheat in the first place, and smart enough do so successfully mind you, it's more likely to make them even more confident.

You only have to look as far as the Panama papers fiasco to see how far deceit runs at the top of the economic and political chain, which pretty much nullifies your entire premise. Not to be patronising in any way but maybe when you're a little older you'll see things differently. :smile:
Reply 26
Well that's certainly possibly for many, but it depends on the individuals morals. To a lot of vegans murdering animals for human consumption should be making most people feel guilty, but we don't. Why? By and large we hold a different sense of morality and don't perceive it as wrong. If someone is willing to cheat in the first place, and smart enough do so successfully mind you, it's more likely to make them even more confident.

You only have to look as far as the Panama papers fiasco to see how far deceit runs at the top of the economic and political chain, which pretty much nullifies your entire premise. Not to be patronising in any way but maybe when you're a little older you'll see things differently. :smile:

You cannot simply compare the murders of millions of animals to cheating or deceiving as they are quite different topics that are correlated in no sense. Murdering animals for human consumption is not solely based upon morals but rather in fact upon multiple things such as a person's religion, conditions etc.
Cheating in exams, however ,is predominantly based upon the fact that "Cheaters" don't work hard/ don't want to work hard because of what could be endless multiple reasons with one of them being their life long old habit of procrastination. Then, to save themselves from the shame of being so reckless with their time, they then take the easy coward way out and hence opt to cheat last minute and EVEN IF they are successful at it for the time being and EVEN IF it boasts their confidence for the time, they will eventually lose all the pretty faith that they had embedded in themselves about being the 'best cheater in town' when they face their extreme downfall after being caught, which btw will totally happen at some point. Then, they will have absolutely nothing to be proud, cocky or confident of! No one just 'gets away' with lying or deceiving or even cheating for a life time, mind you.

I don't know quite a lot about this "Panama Papers" fiasco subject and hence would refrain from talking about. However, maybe the political world revolves around lying and betraying and deceiving and our love-of-the-life cheating but the entire economical world does not (and similarly, the same applies for politics- Not all Politicians are two-faced). You cannot accuse the entire economy of being deceitful because there are people out there who have actually worked hard all their lives to get to the top and those who are adopting the road of deceiving others and lying, will and do face their downfall, at some point, in some way or another.

If there are liars and deceivers in the world, then there are honest people as well.
Plus, the sort of deceiving that you are talking about is something that's a lot more advanced and complicated than what "Exam" cheating is about.
Original post by Noara
You cannot simply compare the murders of millions of animals to cheating or deceiving as they are quite different topics that are correlated in no sense. Murdering animals for human consumption is not solely based upon morals but rather in fact upon multiple things such as a person's religion, conditions etc.
Cheating in exams, however ,is predominantly based upon the fact that "Cheaters" don't work hard/ don't want to work hard because of what could be endless multiple reasons with one of them being their life long old habit of procrastination. Then, to save themselves from the shame of being so reckless with their time, they then take the easy coward way out and hence opt to cheat last minute and EVEN IF they are successful at it for the time being and EVEN IF it boasts their confidence for the time, they will eventually lose all the pretty faith that they had embedded in themselves about being the 'best cheater in town' when they face their extreme downfall after being caught, which btw will totally happen at some point. Then, they will have absolutely nothing to be proud, cocky or confident of! No one just 'gets away' with lying or deceiving or even cheating for a life time, mind you.

I don't know quite a lot about this "Panama Papers" fiasco subject and hence would refrain from talking about. However, maybe the political world revolves around lying and betraying and deceiving and our love-of-the-life cheating but the entire economical world does not (and similarly, the same applies for politics- Not all Politicians are two-faced). You cannot accuse the entire economy of being deceitful because there are people out there who have actually worked hard all their lives to get to the top and those who are adopting the road of deceiving others and lying, will and do face their downfall, at some point, in some way or another.

If there are liars and deceivers in the world, then there are honest people as well.
Plus, the sort of deceiving that you are talking about is something that's a lot more advanced and complicated than what "Exam" cheating is about.

You're avoiding the issue. It's a level of deceit that runs deeper, it's worse and has a much more widespread impact on society. It's important to understand massively successful people are deceitful, not all as you've said but enough that it should be obvious being an honest individual in no way makes you 'stronger', nor does it increase your chances of being successful.

I'm aware honest people exist, people cheat and people don't. Not sure what point you're making on this one, I never claimed only people who cheat can be successful, that's ludicrous. :p: Only that those who do cheat for the right reasons and are ambitious in their own ways won't be held back by not knowing how to calculate the centre of mass of an object or the details of an animal cell...

Again, nowhere did I suggest the everyone is corrupt, only that corruption is evidently deep rooted in our society, we know this because of how many heads of organisations have been exposed, including several heads of state (prime ministers or presidents). If you think David Cameron or any of the other Tory scum are going to 'meet their downfall' anytime soon I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken. Justice isn't absolute.

I'm not comparing the actions... I'm putting forward a pretty well explained analogy so you can better understand how morality can differ within individuals. Psychopaths are another good example. Certain people don't see things that the majority would condemn as condemnable, because in their world it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm done with this now, you can continue believing cheaters will eventually be given their just deserts and end up a ruin. I won't try and change your mind. And I'm no way advocating cheating. You nor anyone else should cheat. But you'll realise one day karma doesn't exist. :p:
(edited 8 years ago)
cheating is so easy nowadays, of couse
Reply 29
You're avoiding the issue. It's a level of deceit that runs deeper, it's worse and has a much more widespread impact on society. It's important to understand massively successful people are deceitful, not all as you've said but enough that it should be obvious being an honest individual in no way makes you 'stronger', nor does it increase your chances of being successful.

I'm aware honest people exist, people cheat and people don't. Not sure what point you're making on this one, I never claimed only people who cheat can be successful, that's ludicrous. :p: Only that those who do cheat for the right reasons and are ambitious in their own ways won't be held back by not knowing how to calculate the centre of mass of an object or the details of an animal cell...

Again, nowhere did I suggest the everyone is corrupt, only that corruption is evidently deep rooted in our society, we know this because of how many heads of organisations have been exposed, including several heads of state (prime ministers or presidents). If you think David Cameron or any of the other Tory scum are going to 'meet their downfall' anytime soon I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken. Justice isn't absolute.

I'm not comparing the actions... I'm putting forward a pretty well explained analogy so you can better understand how morality can differ within individuals. Psychopaths are another good example. Certain people don't see things that the majority would condemn as condemnable, because in their world it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm done with this now, you can continue believing cheaters will eventually be given their just deserts and end up a ruin. I won't try and change your mind. And I'm no way advocating cheating. You nor anyone else should cheat. But you'll realise one day karma doesn't exist. :p:

I never said that being honest would make you more stronger or increase your chances of being successful. All that I'm trying to say is that it would make you a lot less of a coward and save you from the inner guilt that comes alone with it .

You are comparing two different time periods when a cheater makes his moves and hence comparing two immensely different levels of cheating (you do realize that, don't you? I guess you don't. ). Cheating in exams has different consequences to deceiving somewhere else, in your more advanced life time. And there is no "cheating for the right reasons". Cheating at the end of the day will always be ..cheating.. which by its own definition is wrong itself!

You've actually jumbled up quite a few things and you're talking about multiple things. Cheating in exams is what this was all about and now its more like a political debate. If you do something wrong/bad, it will catch upto you. I'm afraid that's how the universe works regardless of what you opt to believe in. Although, if you really think Karma does not exists then maybe you should wait for yours to show up knocking at your door .. or do you reckon you an deceive/cheat karma too?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Yes, when I get extremely stressed I consider cheating but I will never cheat. Not because of moral reasons, but rather because there's no point.
I've done it

Quick Reply

Latest